Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

roof cleaning - first job

S

sdrah

good evening everyone - I was asked to do a "quick clean" to a mossy roof something like this http://www.pesticide.org/Alternatives/phase-2-solutions-for-consumers/roofmoss.jpg

However I haven't cleaned a roof before - and don't have the equipment nor the experience . Any help from you guys will be appreciated .

It's a bungalow so is not too high but having no experience I am lost ... The owner wants me to cleaner the moss only and i was wondering if I should jet wash it or to use a wire brush and then a petrol blower ?! /emoticons/smile.png

or what do you think about this wand http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-Extendable-Lance-Pressure-Washer/dp/B0084D1018/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1386268133&sr=8-13&keywords=karcher+extension+pole ?

or shall I get a roof hook for my ladders ? how safe are these hooks http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LADDER-ROOF-HOOK-UNIVERSAL-/150601130656?pt=UK_Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&hash=item231086e2a0

thanks a lot x

I would say there is no such thing as a "quick clean" when trying to get moss off a roof for a start.

Example vid:

[media]

[/media]This is an experienced roofer doing it the old school way but as you can see is dangerous work especially when not using a fall arrest system etc. One slip and would be game over at that height.

thx Smurf - It is a good , pretty safe and cheap method - so very probably I will do the same with a scraper something ...

Any ideas how much to charge ? I reckon it will take me most of the day to clear two 3 bed cottages - about £160? for the roof and about £80 + for gutters

Anyway thx

im gonna tie a rope / belt from the chimney - plus some ladder hooks will be helpful

thx again

Scraping will take you ages, i always powerwash, lay down tarps , always use a roof ladder, i never charge less than £250 per roof , aint worth it if you do, if i was too scrape a roof id want £500 minimum

Thanks a lot guys, after my hols in September I was over at my parents house most nights and weekends, been getting it old people friendly lol, Good to have some free time again lol

We use a 12v pump powered by a Marine battery to apply the roof wash mix - 12.5 %sodium hypochlorite and water along with a surfactant. The surfactant we currently use is "roof snot" and we get it from south side equipment. I've heard of guys using dish soap as a surfactant, but it can reduce the potency.

Jesus, that vid looks scary smurf.

I wonder how the guy transitioned safely from the ext ladder to the roof ladder? Overreaching. No scaffold. No fall arrest. Statistic in the making me thinks.

Cleaning a roof like that vid is totally fine until it isn't. Then it totally isn't. Like someone else said, one slip and its fatal at that height - at the very least a life changing fall. Wouldn't catch me doing it..

Indeed it is standard practice.

Most don't think about their own safety especially old roofer as they get complacent and I've known a few that have killed themselves over the years falling from roofs. They work that way to remain price competitive and for no other reason.

I personally would not want to attempt to clean a roof properly without having the property fully scaffold first. It's all down to cost as most customers want to save money so get someone in to risk their neck instead.

Back