Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DI question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

brianbadonde

Hi guys. I recently bought a RO/DI system. The DI vessel came pre-packed with resin. On the first day it was kicking the water out at 000 ppm. Ive only used it a few days and already the TDS is 003 ppm. The vessel has a 700mls refillable cartridge. Is the fact the TDS is creeping up due to the fact the resin is inferior? Or do I need to connect the DI vessel to a second DI vessel? As I have read about people doing this. I would ideally like to get the TDS down to 000 ppm every time. Also, what is the maximum TDS you guys find acceptable to use? As many peoples opinions as possible would be great. Cheers /emoticons/smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the reply tuffers. Yes, I did think it shouldnt creep up after such a short time. The resin came already packed in the DI vessel so maybe that the reason. The RO sysyem is certainly doing its job, taking the TDS from 280 down to 12 ppm. Tuffers, what TDS would you accept as the cut-off point for taking out for window cleaning, is 3 acceptable in your eyes?

I changed mine this week. It started the week on 002 and within 2 days it had gone up to 007, so yes 003 is OK to use. You have got the flow going through the di in the right direction haven't you?

I have mate yes, just went and checked. From my research it would seem that a 0.7 litre DI cartridge is very small so I suppose with such a small amount of resin it is not going to last long. Think I will look in to getting a larger DI so im not constantly farting about with resin! Thanks Tuffers :)

had RO now 12 weeks changed resin after 5 weeks , what i was told to do was take the top off the di vessel give it gd stir

this drops your reading down to 000

funny enough when i changed the resin the reading was creeping up quick.

so i have been giving it stir every day prior to using it been doing it 6 weeks my readings is only showing 1

About 5 weeks using twin 11L di. My water is soft and I trickle the water through. It all depends on how much water you put through I suppose.

Yes that's a laughable amount of resin, get an 11L then you'll probably be only changing the resin 2/3 times a year

The thing is my RO unit has quarter inch piping and the larger DI vessels only seem to come compatable with half inch piping. My water is hard (280) so would chew through resin I would imagine if I just ran my water through a DI. Are there any larger DIs compatable with the quarter inch piping that my RO unit has? Or is there some way around it?

Hi guys. I recently bought a RO/DI system. The DI vessel came pre-packed with resin. On the first day it was kicking the water out at 000 ppm. Ive only used it a few days and already the TDS is 003 ppm. The vessel has a 700mls refillable cartridge. Is the fact the TDS is creeping up due to the fact the resin is inferior? Or do I need to connect the DI vessel to a second DI vessel? As I have read about people doing this. I would ideally like to get the TDS down to 000 ppm every time. Also, what is the maximum TDS you guys find acceptable to use? As many peoples opinions as possible would be great. Cheers /emoticons/smile.png

These very small vessels are not really man enough for the job of window cleaning water polishing. At 12ppm water going into it this size vessel will only be able to clean 1200 litres before the TDS will start to rise. For some users this is only a couple of days work.

The other reason that it is rising could be to do with channeling. If the resin is not quite tight enough or the diffuser screen is not diffusing properly it may be that the water has created a channel through the resin and the water is actually only coming into contact with a smaller amount of the resin.

The best advice is to invest in a larger DI vessel, perhaps about 7 litres. Fill this with about 5 litres of DI resin (to allow room for circulation) and simply plumb the 1/4" tubing into the vessel using some John Guest adapters. This will last a lot longer and will be far more efficient in its use of the resin, perhaps even giving you 9-10,000 litres per change at 12ppm.

Even more efficient is to run two of these vessels, when the TDS starts to rise above 000ppm then take the second vessel and put it into the first place and then refill the previously first vessel and put it in as the new second vessel this will give you almost 70% extra usage from each batch of resin. Keep repeating this process each time TDS rises.

Thanks alex. Thats settled then, I simply have to buy a larger DI vessel. And those john guest adapters sound just the thing im after. Thanks for the advice guys, this is a great place for a newbie to come.

Back