Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Paying Staff Wages

simon-g

Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here but just wanted to say hello and pick your brains on the age old problem

of paying staff.

I've been thinking of setting up another van now for awhile but the only problem i have is

working out how to pay staff.

I was thinking of working it out on a percentage of the work cleaned, so if he's using my van/equip,

i'm paying for all the running costs ie fuel,insurance,maintenance & he's cleaning approx £750.00 worth of work per week ( with costs of approx £150 per week ) what do you think would be a fare % to pay him ?

Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

For a start I would ask the question is it worth all the agro/overheads with getting another van on the road then having to deal with Employment Law, H&S, Payroll, HR etc then paying staff wages out to take someone on that may be unreliable and a bloody nightmare for only a gross profit of only £750 per week?

I for one would think very carefully if it was worth all the agro or not.

Regarding wages as the saying goes if you pay peanuts you will get monkeys so would need to offer a reasonable rate of pay to attract the right person for the job.

Just my thoughts you understand;)

What smurf said lol

I think its worth having another guy tho but would have him work with me then if ya get too busy again then get a van and another guy but train new guy and put first guy in new van.

If he can work 200 a day and you pay him 100 maybe that would make you 350 profit a week.

But youd have to have enough work and also it may be a headache dealing with hmrc and his tax n ni

Get the other guy to go self employed and pay you a percent each week which IS what am doing i lease my business off another company.

Works well

Get the other guy to go self employed and pay you a percent each week which IS what am doing i lease my business off another company.Works well
Thanks for the replies guys. Just too confirm, i already have the van / equip/work/ ready to go. The chap that i'm thinking of taking on as already worked with me before in the past on a part time basis , so i know hat he's up to the job ( very reliable , good on the pole, and very good with my customers )

Gmeister if you don't mind me asking what percentage are you paying to lease your business ??? It sounds a lot less hassle doing it your way.

Cheers

Back