Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anybody here clean school windows?

W

WWC

Hi,

I am trying to get onto the approved list for school window cleaning ATM, and was wanting to hear from anyone else that already does this. I have already applied, and am waiting for some confirmation of inclusion for the list of approved suppliers.

The main thing that I am interested in is - how do you price the jobs? I don't want to go in with a silly price - either too low or too high.

Also if there is anything else that you could advise me about that would be great i.e the general proceedures, what is expected, any tips etc that you have picked up in dealing with schools and the education board - anything really that may help me get a few school jobs.

You are welcome to contact me by personal message if you don't want to post publically any details, prices etc.

Thanks

a list of approved contractors for school i had a local marketing company call me last year about this may not be the same one but sounds very similar, i didnt bother in the end as it seemed a bit dodgey, what i can tell you tho is a lad local to me got a couple of schools in a couple of months and it wasnt from joining a list of approved school suppliers, if there asking for money upfront to join this list id be wary.

a list of approved contractors for school i had a local marketing company call me last year about this may not be the same one but sounds very similar, i didnt bother in the end as it seemed a bit dodgey, what i can tell you tho is a lad local to me got a couple of schools in a couple of months and it wasnt from joining a list of approved school suppliers, if there asking for money upfront to join this list id be wary.
I don't know how it works on mainland Britain, but in Northern Ireland, the education boards have a list of approved suppliers. To get on the list, you need to contact the appropriate education boards directly, then apply to them. No money changes hands to get on the list.

We got asked if we wanted to go on a list to tender for schools hospitals etc, I thought it was a bit of a scam. They asked for a admin fee. You usually have to do a police check and couple of references. My dad does a few private schools. He got one from canvassing the bursar office and the other was recommended. Another school he was cleaning houses in the street and a guy who works there approached him. I wrote to a load of schools in the area as well but never got much back, just a couple of meetings

I emailed the schools in my local area, about 8 of them about a month before school holidays...I got 3 jobs out of it, just quoted as I did a house, its what U want to earn for the job its self, estimated on how long U think it may take.

I got asked by my boys school to clean it.i do it twice a year in the school hols,just priced up as a big house.invoice n get cheque following week

simples /emoticons/wink.png

I've got three schools now.

I find you can't be to silly with prices but you still get good money.

Always make the site manager /caretaker feel important,mail shot all the schools in your area and sell yourself well.

Can’t offer much info, in Leicester the schools/colleges etc (not private) can opt in or out of there local authority cleaning contracts.

Competition could be tough with some work, for example in Leicester the local authority recently awarded a window cleaning contract for £26,484.00 this is for 182 council buildings cleaned 2 times per year. This may include some school. Average clean price is £72 for this contract. I use to do some of this work took no longer than 30 minutes to 1 hour.

If you want to find out what the local authority window cleaning contracts are, in your area, you are entitled, you can find out who currently has the contract, how much, and when it’s back up for tender, do this through the freedom of information act.

Good luck

Richard

Hi WWC , I have recently got on the approved list in my area but have not tried to get any schools yet , you might also find they will approach you as they will receive a list of all the approved contractors.

Been doing schools for as long as I can remember, your always best contacting schools yourself. first call is the head once that's done after you usually deal with the caretakers , the work is usually very dirty , spit and gum and mud but schools are usually a empty window one after another and usually pretty quick , good luck

HI Guys, Just had a school call me for a quote. Could you help me out i.e how would you price em up????

I have cleaned 4 schools. all are different prices. £1 a window could be quite steep for a school and the fact you are not using fuel. most schools I have done I have charged £250 and its taken me a whole day.

Thanks Guys. Big school, took me an hour to walk around counting the 500ish windows, quoted £650. Got the Job.

next questions, any of you chaps done a method statement & risk assessment for a school?

up in scotland, i know Greig Avinou have all the high school projects, circa £250,000 a year.

only reason i know is i am friendly with a surveyor in charge of school projects. Personally, i know they get ripped off but they prefer the national coverage /emoticons/sad.png

Thanks Guys. Big school, took me an hour to walk around counting the 500ish windows, quoted £650. Got the Job.
next questions, any of you chaps done a method statement & risk assessment for a school?
@Smurf put a good one on for me that I used. Just printed out & tipexed out the old name & put in my name & printed it out again. If he's nice he might put it up again.

Hi,
I am trying to get onto the approved list for school window cleaning ATM, and was wanting to hear from anyone else that already does this. I have already applied, and am waiting for some confirmation of inclusion for the list of approved suppliers.

The main thing that I am interested in is - how do you price the jobs? I don't want to go in with a silly price - either too low or too high.

Also if there is anything else that you could advise me about that would be great i.e the general proceedures, what is expected, any tips etc that you have picked up in dealing with schools and the education board - anything really that may help me get a few school jobs.

You are welcome to contact me by personal message if you don't want to post publically any details, prices etc.

Thanks
I've been cleaning school Windows for years now - my Mrs somehow manages to get loads on board!

I clean 14 school/academies twice a year during May holidays and six week holidays . Your best of finding out who has the cleaning contract for the internal cleaning as these companies are the people responsible for organising the window cleaning sub contractors.

I clean 9 of these schools for 1 large cleaning contractors and the other 5 are ones I canvassed using references from the others to sweeten the deal.

All are local as I cover north of Middlesbrough but the cleaning company is nation wide so use various window cleaning companies for south all the way to London.

Average price is

small school £350 1 day 2 staff

Medium school £600 to £800 2/3 days 2 staff

Large school £1100 to £1300 4/5 days 2 staff

Plus any cherry picker charges on top.

All are internal/external.

You need to be DBS checked also have liability insurance and employers liability upto £5million have method statements and health and safety policy's in place to work within schools and other government facilities.

Hope that helps I have templates for method and h&s statements if needed.

Latest Posts

Back