Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best setup for me?

Cleanz

Okay, sorry I know theres a lot of threads on this type of thing but didn't want to threadjack someone elses thread. Trad going over to WFP, still learning what's what and have been doing a lot of reading but still a bit unsure..

Got my TDS meter through today and took a reading, 190 is my PPM - so I guess I would need an RO unit?

My round isn't the biggest and I generally do anywhere between 7-10 jobs a day (sometimes a couple more if I have help), I have decided to start off with a trolley/25l barrel system and just put 2-3 spare 25l containers of pure water in the back of the van (hopefully that will be enough).

I have a mostly emtpy garage built in (town house), hose would have to be run around the side of the house and into the front of the garage as there is no water supply in the garage itself. I don't want to overspend but same time I don't want to buy something and end up needing more! I was thinking RO>DI>Container>25l barrels.

What equipment would you guys recommend for this type of volume/setup/hard water etc?

You could use just di's. Not ideal as the resin won't last as long but, as you say you are not doing many houses a day. I think you will need more than 4 x 25L barrels tbh.

Cheers Tuffers. So just to clarify 100% before I order this stuff..

I would go outside tap>DI>DI>holding tank (1000 litre?)>25l barrels

This is the kit I was going to order :

2 x http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/8-x-35-25-litre-resin-vessel-complete-with-di-resin-p-441.html?page=2

1 x http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/1000-litre-ibc-tank-recycled-p-556.html

6 x http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/25-litre-drums-p-299.html

Total cost inc vat : £530.52

If this lot is correct, stupid question but how do I go about getting the water from the main tank into the small barrels - can't see anything on it...

Edit I can see the valve on the bottom but do I just connect another hose to that>25l barrels. Sorry noobie questions and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get IBC tanks cheaper on eBay & more so if you're lucky enough to live near a yard/warehouse that sells them & you have a van.

Would you need an ibc for the amount of water you're using? Just fill your barrels straight from di. Like Rice says ibc's are cheap on ebay.

Di vessels, you would probably need twin 11L. Ebay £27 + £9 postage. This is for one, but I think this geezer sells loads of them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMPTY-di-resin-vessel-window-cleaning-bio-filter-11lt-/161206479790?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item2588a7abae you would need to buy resin though. There's a link to Grippa on this site for about £72

Barrels, make sure they fit your trolley. Try ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20l-25l-30l-ltr-litre-water-containers-Jerry-cans-Diesel-Cans-Plastic-Drums-/141168142100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20de46e714. I've got a few knocking about that I don't use that you can have for nowt if you live near me.

So, ibc £40 ish, 2x di's £72 + £72 for resin, 6x 25L barrels £30 ish. Total £214 or there abouts. Asuming you go down the di only route of course.

This is what I use. If I was you I would get a RO system and your DI resin will last ages.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/450gpd-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-SYSTEM-POLE-WINDOW-CLEANING-AQUARIUM-DISCUS-MARINE-RO-/251131624230?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a789c7b26

DI as Tuffers says.

25 litre drums (6)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-New-25L-25-Litre-Plastic-Water-Containers-Carrier-Bottle-Drum-Gerry-Jerry-Can-/370904753115?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Bird_Bath_Feeder_CV&hash=item565ba563db

Holding tank, look around but you can use something like this

http://www.wilko.com/water-butts accessories/wilko-water-butt-green-230l/invt/0313387

It doesnt seem like you would need much so maybe 230 litres of water in tank and then fill the 6 drums = 380litres a week might be enough for you ??

with that RO and DI, I make about 42litres a hour. Thats 420 litres in 10 hours, so if that was enough water for you then you would just have to make your water every Sunday ready for the week ahead.

I think thats about £260 not including Resin But you will have a RO system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, very helpful. Comes in around half of the priceof the stuff I listed!

Think I'm gonna go down the RO route with a DI off Ebay like Jimmy suggested. Jimmy any problems with that RO Unit since youve been using it?

I am aiming to do more work in a day (when round is better built up/longer days) but for now that volume of water will do me I recon...

heyoh, what are you using that for then?

I use that pump to transfer the ro water from my IBC tank to my van. But I just realized you were talking about filling 25L drums, for that you could just use gravity I guess /emoticons/smile.png

For the amount of houses in a day cleaning with wfp at a decent flow rate to be productive & save time I would not go down the water barrels/trolley route as will be far less hassle to stick a tank in your van instead then just add a pump, controller, battery, 100 m hose etc. Trust me I've been there & done that and it done my head in quite honestly not to mention lugging all that water about.

Okay, sorry I know theres a lot of threads on this type of thing but didn't want to threadjack someone elses thread. Trad going over to WFP, still learning what's what and have been doing a lot of reading but still a bit unsure..
Got my TDS meter through today and took a reading, 190 is my PPM - so I guess I would need an RO unit?

My round isn't the biggest and I generally do anywhere between 7-10 jobs a day (sometimes a couple more if I have help), I have decided to start off with a trolley/25l barrel system and just put 2-3 spare 25l containers of pure water in the back of the van (hopefully that will be enough).

I have a mostly emtpy garage built in (town house), hose would have to be run around the side of the house and into the front of the garage as there is no water supply in the garage itself. I don't want to overspend but same time I don't want to buy something and end up needing more! I was thinking RO>DI>Container>25l barrels.

What equipment would you guys recommend for this type of volume/setup/hard water etc?

Only trouble I've got with that is, my van is in the garage at the moment. It's an 04 Renault Kangoo, so not that big and I would need to fit gutter vac in as well at some point (not sure if there is enough room for all that. The other thing is that I have no idea whether to keep it or not, the garage are saying after all thier labour, tests etc etc that 3 injectors are gone total cost + vat is around £900. Van only cost me £1500, I don't know whether to cut my losses or what...

Money is a bit of an issue at the moment, I had put aside £700 for wfp start up but if I get the van repaired £200 of that is gone, leaving me with only £500. So gonna be a while before I can get properly up and running by the looks of things :\

Went ahead with it, had no other option really. Looks like I've been done by the garage. . Live and learn I suppose.

Smurf how do you go about securing a tank in the van then?

Just thought I'd ask, as I haven't mentioned it in the thread but I am on a water meter here, is it still the most cost effective way to go Ro>Di>Di? My water is £70 a month at the mo.

Just thought I'd ask, as I haven't mentioned it in the thread but I am on a water meter here, is it still the most cost effective way to go Ro>Di>Di? My water is £70 a month at the mo.
Anyone? I've bought the resin but want to be 100% sure before I go down this route, just my water company is a complete **** as it is!

Cant really say mate, I am not on a meter so usage doesn't affect me. You do get waste water with an RO but don't know how to balance that with extra resin use. Sorry.

Back