Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

I keep leaving lines on the ends of my rubbers?

slippy

I buy a long reel.

So it's ok to cut the ends with scissor ? (I heard 2mm from the end!) I was told cut with a stanley knife by a guy in the store, scissors would be easier. So basically you think I a nic right at the end where the rubber sticks out? I should just trim that off with scissors?

no lines in the middle of my squeegee's rubbers but two on either end if it, this means there aren't any niks or whatever, but what's wrong with the ends of the rubber?

do you mean out past the edge of the rubber or where the rubber has squeegeed?

I find mine wear out on the edges. Always cut mine with scissors. Soon as I see the lines ill turn em round(after about 2 weeks) then when worn that side I cut them down for my 6 inch squeegee. Never get lines in the middle. Be careful when walking past walls & things as one scrape can cause this. Also have you dog eared??? This may help them last a bit longer as you get extra pressure.

Are you doing vertical or horizontal pulls?. If so, do you wipe your blade after each pull. If not then you may be pulling down lines of water from the edge of your rubber. I always cut my rubber with a extra sharp blade. Havent used scissors so cant comment. A nice clean cut is essential.

I always get lines in the middle of my squeegee and I put it down to the BOAB. Since I stopped storing my squeegees overnigh in the boab I no longer get the problem. As far as cutting them, I just use my scraper.

That's a good suggestion Posh, I'll try that one...

Also Nearlyclean... Cheers for pointing out that the Ettorie quick release can cause an issue when too tight... I'm not always convinced that the rubber is always at fault. You only have to modify a squeegee slightly wrong and it can cause problems when working. When I first dog-eared I got this slightly out and with a small adjustment all was good again..

I would say just give ya squeegee an M.O.T every now and then...

I buy a long reel.

So it's ok to cut the ends with scissor ? (I heard 2mm from the end!) I was told cut with a stanley knife by a guy in the store, scissors would be easier. So basically you think I a nic right at the end where the rubber sticks out? I should just trim that off with scissors?

A stanley knife or a scraper will be OK, but it can be a bit awkward getting a cut in the right place. A good quality pair of scissors, kept only for this, is easier. I cut mine while in a channel, I do about 20 or so at one time. Cutting from the business end, once you are half way, it's not so important to be exact.

I find mine wear out on the edges. Always cut mine with scissors. Soon as I see the lines ill turn em round(after about 2 weeks) then when worn that side I cut them down for my 6 inch squeegee. Never get lines in the middle. Be careful when walking past walls & things as one scrape can cause this. Also have you dog eared??? This may help them last a bit longer as you get extra pressure.

You are right about cutting them down, I do that, but using for two weeks is too long. I turn, or change my blades almost every day. You need to keep your blades in top condition if you are using the dog-eared system.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.