Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I keep leaving lines on the ends of my rubbers?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

no lines in the middle of my squeegee's rubbers but two on either end if it, this means there aren't any niks or whatever, but what's wrong with the ends of the rubber?

Usually get that when they are wearing out. Do you buy cut lengths, or the 36 inch ones and cut them down? how often do you change them?

I buy a long reel.

So it's ok to cut the ends with scissor ? (I heard 2mm from the end!) I was told cut with a stanley knife by a guy in the store, scissors would be easier. So basically you think I a nic right at the end where the rubber sticks out? I should just trim that off with scissors?

no lines in the middle of my squeegee's rubbers but two on either end if it, this means there aren't any niks or whatever, but what's wrong with the ends of the rubber?
do you mean out past the edge of the rubber or where the rubber has squeegeed?

I find mine wear out on the edges. Always cut mine with scissors. Soon as I see the lines ill turn em round(after about 2 weeks) then when worn that side I cut them down for my 6 inch squeegee. Never get lines in the middle. Be careful when walking past walls & things as one scrape can cause this. Also have you dog eared??? This may help them last a bit longer as you get extra pressure.

What type of squeegee are you using, I know my mate had this problem with ettore quick release squeegee. It was clamping down tight and loosed it off a bit.

Are you doing vertical or horizontal pulls?. If so, do you wipe your blade after each pull. If not then you may be pulling down lines of water from the edge of your rubber. I always cut my rubber with a extra sharp blade. Havent used scissors so cant comment. A nice clean cut is essential.

I always get lines in the middle of my squeegee and I put it down to the BOAB. Since I stopped storing my squeegees overnigh in the boab I no longer get the problem. As far as cutting them, I just use my scraper.

My squeegees are in the boab all of the time. It shouldnt affect the rubber blade. Mind you, I use spc rubber which is pretty tough and seems to last longer than standard rubber.

That's a good suggestion Posh, I'll try that one...

Also Nearlyclean... Cheers for pointing out that the Ettorie quick release can cause an issue when too tight... I'm not always convinced that the rubber is always at fault. You only have to modify a squeegee slightly wrong and it can cause problems when working. When I first dog-eared I got this slightly out and with a small adjustment all was good again..

I would say just give ya squeegee an M.O.T every now and then...

I buy a long reel.
So it's ok to cut the ends with scissor ? (I heard 2mm from the end!) I was told cut with a stanley knife by a guy in the store, scissors would be easier. So basically you think I a nic right at the end where the rubber sticks out? I should just trim that off with scissors?
A stanley knife or a scraper will be OK, but it can be a bit awkward getting a cut in the right place. A good quality pair of scissors, kept only for this, is easier. I cut mine while in a channel, I do about 20 or so at one time. Cutting from the business end, once you are half way, it's not so important to be exact.

I find mine wear out on the edges. Always cut mine with scissors. Soon as I see the lines ill turn em round(after about 2 weeks) then when worn that side I cut them down for my 6 inch squeegee. Never get lines in the middle. Be careful when walking past walls & things as one scrape can cause this. Also have you dog eared??? This may help them last a bit longer as you get extra pressure.
You are right about cutting them down, I do that, but using for two weeks is too long. I turn, or change my blades almost every day. You need to keep your blades in top condition if you are using the dog-eared system.

If you have dropped you sqeegee, maybe the chanel is bent.

You can check with your eye to see if its straight.

Its also a good idea to give your channels an occasional good wash in hot soapy water as muck can build up in them which can affect the performance of your squeegee

Last edited by a moderator:
I use them till they start leaving lines. Can't see the point of changing them if there still working ok but everybody's different.

I think all the various makes of rubbers are different as well.......some more hard wearing than others. Mine last 3 to 4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back