Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

getting paid,when collecting is not an option!

Brettd

Hi,

when i started my round was really easy to pop out in the evening and collect payments,now my rounds much bigger its becoming increasingly difficult to do so.

Any thoughts on alternative ways of being paid please?

Bank transfers or the old SAE + cheques.

I think soon there'll be paying via mobile phone texts and there's an app for smartphones, Pingit I think it is.

Barclays uses ping it the problem is there needs to be one app that takes all payments from all kinds of banks and people from young people to old. Alot of older people dont even have a phone that has apps I have costumers who dont trust payment apps or online transfers. I would go for the online transfer or paypal. There is a window cleaner that works in the same area who invested in free post envelopes on one side it gives you ways to pay, if you want to pay via check there is no excuse as its a freepost envelope. Plenty of options to think about.

Text the customer the night before so they know you are coming, and get them to leave money under a plant pot. Or get a website with a payment option like paypal.

Text the customer the night before so they know you are coming, and get them to leave money under a plant pot. Or get a website with a payment option like paypal.
Try not to text if poss, it leads to 'not today crew'.

BACS is good, IF they remember to do it. I find I have to chase quite a few up and I don't like chasing payment really.

bank transfer is very popular /cheque in the post / cash in the post . all work very well for me

Try not to text if poss, it leads to 'not today crew'.
BACS is good, IF they remember to do it. I find I have to chase quite a few up and I don't like chasing payment really.
You are right, personally I've just been lucky so far. I have stopped this for most customers as I just like them using the website payment now. Its easy to track, everyone likes the convenience, and it means I don't need to text before. Its easy to declare from a tax standpoint too.

You are right, personally I've just been lucky so far. I have stopped this for most customers as I just like them using the website payment now. Its easy to track, everyone likes the convenience, and it means I don't need to text before. Its easy to declare from a tax standpoint too.

Bank transfers or the old SAE + cheques.I think soon there'll be paying via mobile phone texts and there's an app for smartphones, Pingit I think it is.
cheers,lots to think about

yeh me stopped collecting now....either the money is left for me or soon they will all pay bank transfer or paypal .....having said that the last new job hasnt got back to me when i explained i dont collect but i care not .....i got better things to do these days and less taxi runs for kids now means no excuse for collecting.....work is the curse of the drinking class.....

Over 10 years ago was when we were last Window Cleaning. And Collections was our biggest hurdle and de-motivation. I see many of you now use Paypal. Have you used any other tools that are online billing platforms that are automated. I suppose the majority now use card machines, but this still relies on the customer being at home or present on clean or in evening when you collect.

We have been working on a software solution for this for nearly a year. Maybe we could ask for your feedback on what the perfect solution would be sometime in the future.

For now, what is it like collecting.

As more of society convert to smartphones (or maybe even low tech phones) it got to be the ability to pay via text message. Obviously most the older generation will still persist with a physical payment.

I have one employee, and generally collect for an hour each night. If I don't get someone in during the day and at night again, I post an invoice and they can pay online. They can sent a cheque also. With all that, I still have outstanding payments, customers who are hard to get paid by all the time.

To keep it manageable, I put them on hold if they owe more than two months. Once they pay I can start them again. Some customers will just always be a pain no matter what you do.

I have one or two customers who pay the whole year up front, and have thought about offering a deal like one free clean if you pay for the year. But what puts me off that, is sometimes we can be running a bit late do to whether or holidays, so might be a pain to keep track off.

I think standing order is the best way. Easy to set up, you give them your sort code and account number and reference. Then they set this up with their bank to pay each month. Cheaper than PayPal or pay a trader.

I think standing order is the best way. Easy to set up, you give them your sort code and account number and reference. Then they set this up with their bank to pay each month. Cheaper than PayPal or pay a trader.
yep thats the way i want it...money in the bank means they get clean windows...in a way the money left out every month for me would be just as good but because everyone is so busy these days they forget..although i dont mind waiting till next month standing order is the way to go....i dont mind paypal as long as they pay the fee....but of course that means they have to pay extra so not so good..

Cheque in post or cash on the day they are the most easiest way to keep track of payments. I know I have some who pay via online banking and sometimes I cant keep track of the payments.

yes the worst thing in the world is when you have been collecting and they didnt have the money and so you say i will come back but then you start to think well did they pay....had many a nightmare...have they havent they....i was sure one guy owed me twice but i couldnt really say so i was going to give him the benefit but lucky he came to the door and said i owe you from last time ...most custys are okay...

yes the worst thing in the world is when you have been collecting and they didnt have the money and so you say i will come back but then you start to think well did they pay....had many a nightmare...have they havent they....i was sure one guy owed me twice but i couldnt really say so i was going to give him the benefit but lucky he came to the door and said i owe you from last time ...most custys are okay...
Keeping good records help. Use to have this problem myself and you think have they haven't they. Some are honest and say I owe you two lots and others will take the free clean.

you can tell the ones who lie when they say only owe once when you know its twice. its in the eyes. best to drop em straight away rather than be taken for a fool

Its when they dont leave a reference on the online banking like £15 has been transferred but who the hell is it from lol. I always tell them make sure you put your name on the reference this is what I end up with...

BBP £15 - window cleaning (yeah but who are you).

Back