Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Foot my ladder? :)

Joshua D

2014-03-11122726_zps84bb3a92.jpg

Only way I could think of footing the ladder when my work associate left me, if I went above the window I was to far away.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks scary mate.:eek:

For windows like that, I just use an unger extension pole, and a wagtail. And then just detail with a scrim clipped on the end.

Safe as houses /emoticons/smile.png lol usually I dont go on the sill but thought Id test it out /emoticons/smile.png, I have to reach around the corner aswell. I would use a pole but I prefer being at the window. I used to walk up there! but Im not as brave now lol.

That looks scary mate.:eek:
For windows like that, I just use an unger extension pole, and a wagtail. And then just detail with a scrim clipped on the end.
Indeed scary, there's an accident waiting to happen if ever I saw one..!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only way I could think of footing the ladder when my work associate left me, if I went above the window I was to far away.
That ladder's gonna bend like f**k when you get to the middle and possibly break the gutter.

Doesn't bend that much to touch the gutter misses it by about a foot, honestly its not scary I've seen far worse from other window cleaners. Its wedged under the tyre it was scarier walking up there.

better to walk the roof or pole it [pole in winter definitely ] than use a ladder that way .

Modifying a Pole is easy and is useful for the odd window like that. To me it looks slightly too much of an angle to walk on. Although, it is hard to tell from looking at a picture.

thats crazy maybe your casual attitude will change if your unfortunate enough to take a fall , do you honestly think them ladders are designed to use at that angle

Considering my grandad has used a ladder like this for 25 years yeah I think them ladders can handle that angle and I have taken a fall thats why I dont walk up there. Much more dangerous walking on a roof the rafters could be rotten the tiles could be falling apart, tiles might crack and slide of the roof while my foot is on there. Ive seen window cleaners do this without anything stopping the ladder sliding backwards at least mine wont go anywhere. Half the time as a window cleaner its virtually impossible to use the 4-1 rule, I have CSCS Card working at heights, ladder saftey cert and 7 Years experience. In that hole time of me and my grandad using a ladder like that not one thing has gone wrong. Most people who fall off ladders usually are on uneven ground or reaching to far when there ladder is on a slippery surface. Suppose Ive never had a complaint so at least I know the windows are clean.

So what happens when you can't park your car on their drive to foot yer ladder and that area is blocked by vehicle/s left on the drive in they way.

If they are in are you going to ask them:-

1. can you move your car so I can position mine on yer drive to foot me ladder

2. can I prop me ladder against yer car/van

if they are out what would you do?

1. you clamber over their roof

2. use a trad pole

3. use a wfp

4. miss out that window

Sorry bud but just because you seem to think it's ok and is common working practice to use a ladder like that doesn't make it right to do so.

Doesn't bend that much to touch the gutter misses it by about a foot, honestly its not scary I've seen far worse from other window cleaners. Its wedged under the tyre it was scarier walking up there.

Wow that's scary. Hope you got a good handbrake lol

Me personally I would turn my ladder into a step ladder by the roof & pole it.

I have CSCS Card working at heights, ladder saftey cert and 7 Years experience.
Mate, this is a bit like owning a pair of steel toe caps, but leaving them in the van. lol The point of those certs is that you actually follow the 'good practice' that they preach. /emoticons/smile.png

Are you some kind of nutty stunt man! Don't look safe to me lol.

i hope your well insured , if your grandad stuck his hand in the fire would you do the same , personally i think your either some sort of wind up merchant or a little slow maybe , now dont take these comments personally as what else do you expect when everyone else who has responded to your thread dissagrees with this practice , finally there is a device called foot the ladder and theres a video on youtube , its titled foot the ladder , maybe have a look and you might change your mind

i hope your well insured , if your grandad stuck his hand in the fire would you do the same , personally i think your either some sort of wind up merchant or a little slow maybe , now dont take these comments personally as what else do you expect when everyone else who has responded to your thread dissagrees with this practice , finally there is a device called foot the ladder and theres a video on youtube , its titled foot the ladder , maybe have a look and you might change your mind
It would'nt matter how much insurance cover a person has, if its proved that equipment has been used improper, insurance cover will be void.....fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Joshua Dodd I think your method statement and risk assessment would be quite funny to read too /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back