Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flippin Heck!

WJCN64

OK so today i was nagged by my mother to check part of the guttering on her place so i did with a standard ladder stand off on top of the ladders when i sink forward into the brick work!!! and now have to get a builder out to take it all out and cement em in again, luckily it was only the outer skin of bricks that went !!

so my thoughts are that as the house is like 200 years old and has lime mortar, has had the corner of the gutter dripping over for ages, its eroded the brick work and soffend it. so tip is guys all-ways check the mortar is safe before using a ladder stand off!!!

(sigh)

Thing is i was quite confused because i didn't expect my ladder to go inwards /emoticons/biggrin.png

Also if i was just using the ladder without the stand off i think it would of been worse, as there would of been more pressure on one point and could of gone right through into my daughters room!!

yes, strange things happen in the window cleaning game...as mentioned somewhere else on here, a few years ago i was busy cleaning an inside and i reached up to clean a nice coloured leaded window and it promptly disappeared....apparently the decorators had taken it out complete in frame and put it back in as a tight fit and forgot to put any screws in it and the long hot dry summer had dried it out.....yeh guess who had to pay for a new one....grrrrr

Happens all the time mate. I am a bricklayer to trade. Can happen near the top of new builds under the sofit, because there is no actual weight on top of the brick it doesnt set with weight on it which creates a weakness so if u ever work on a gutter never sit ladder on last brick under sofit.... or your up for a pricey repair

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

When i say happens all the time i mean i have seen it a few times..... not trying to sound like a smart****

Happens all the time mate. I am a bricklayer to trade. Can happen near the top of new builds under the sofit, because there is no actual weight on top of the brick it doesnt set with weight on it which creates a weakness so if u ever work on a gutter never sit ladder on last brick under sofit.... or your up for a pricey repair
The amount of times I've parked my ladder above a window just under the soffit :eek:

Tuffers dont get me wrong 9 out of 10 it be fine but ure taking a chance. Think of it this way. If u were knocking a wall down where would you start? Top and work down. Why? Because its the weakest point and easiest to brake the bond.

now if you had seen the bricklaying in my extention....oh to be fair it was overhand....sorta...remember...yossar hughes..anyone...givus a job...:rofl:

This has certainly made me think

Wow something I would never have thought about. You just assume a great big wall should generally hold a ladder and your weight.

Thanks for posting....

I'm aware that could happen but has never happened to me yet. Same goes when resting a ladder on fascias, lath & plaster old bays etc as they can give way too /emoticons/wink.png

OK so today i was nagged by my mother to check part of the guttering on her place so i did with a standard ladder stand off on top of the ladders when i sink forward into the brick work!!! and now have to get a builder out to take it all out and cement em in again, luckily it was only the outer skin of bricks that went !!
so my thoughts are that as the house is like 200 years old and has lime mortar, has had the corner of the gutter dripping over for ages, its eroded the brick work and soffend it. so tip is guys all-ways check the mortar is safe before using a ladder stand off!!!

(sigh)

Back