Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much should I charge for gutter cleaning

D

David Williams

Stared WFP window cleaning a year and a half ago and have over 100 satisfied customers.

I'm finding that a few customers want gutters cleaning.

Seen on ebay you can buy attachments to go on your pole

Are these any good ?or what should I be looking at to buy other than an expensive vac???

What's the average price for a 3 bed detached house?

Would appreciate any help on this.

Just like window cleaning the prices with vary, but for a normal sized house, I would charge £10-£15 per side. I dont know about any attachments that can be attached to a WFP for gutter cleaning. Its a ladder, bucket and scoop for me. You can get a gutter scoop from window cleaning warehouse that is pretty good. It also screws on the an unger cone head, so can attach to small extension handles and pole to reach further along while on the ladder. Oh stand offs also come in handy too.

ditto...but mr smurf is the gutter man...hmmm....sometimes not the best job in the world...i did one today and it was going great with my new plan which was to put on some dirty clothes...so i finished the gutters and got changed and was nice and clean again...but then i realised i hadnt done the conny gutters....and these of course are the first thing a custy looks at because you can see from the bedroom window....so i thought i wont get messy just doing that..

.and i cba to put on my old clothes again....well of course you live and learn....it was underpriced because it was an old custy coming back to me with the windows included and so i was rushing and the muck was just being flung any where but some of it landed in the trees i had to crash through to get to the side of the conny and when i crashed back out again it nicely fell all over me....thank god its friday....and of course she didnt even pay me and expects me to go back for my money....now i remember why i stopped doing her windows years ago...well she left to go abroad for a long time so i just stopped calling but i remember having to chase the money then..../emoticons/smile.png

you crack me up :rofl:

ditto...but mr smurf is the gutter man...hmmm....sometimes not the best job in the world...i did one today and it was going great with my new plan which was to put on some dirty clothes...so i finished the gutters and got changed and was nice and clean again...but then i realised i hadnt done the conny gutters....and these of course are the first thing a custy looks at because you can see from the bedroom window....so i thought i wont get messy just doing that..
.and i cba to put on my old clothes again....well of course you live and learn....it was underpriced because it was an old custy coming back to me with the windows included and so i was rushing and the muck was just being flung any where but some of it landed in the trees i had to crash through to get to the side of the conny and when i crashed back out again it nicely fell all over me....thank god its friday....and of course she didnt even pay me and expects me to go back for my money....now i remember why i stopped doing her windows years ago...well she left to go abroad for a long time so i just stopped calling but i remember having to chase the money then..../emoticons/smile.png

I do a lot of gutter clearing. For an average 3 bed house I charge around £60-80 for a clearout. If the gutters are chockablock, i.e I can see the mess from the street, then the price is higher.

For a facia, soffit, and gutter clean I charge about £50-60 if I am already there, otherwise its a bit more.

It all depends on the condition/size of the job and the customer. Note to customers- be polite, and always offer a cup of tea. You'll be amazed at how good the finished job will look and how much money you can save for the sake of a tea bag and a smile.:thumbsup:

Price wise it all depends how much you want the extra work I suppose. Most customers don't like or can't use ladders so I don't understand why window cleaners undersell gutter clearing as a service as can be dangerous work. There is no such thing as an average 3 bed semi gutter clearing job so I charge accordingly anything from say £65 upto 150 now depending how awkward and bad the job is.

If you are on about progutter pro-g tools then yes they are very handy tools to have but if wanting to use ladders on your own as safely as possible then best you invest in an ankalad & microlite standoff too. Parts of jobs that you can't get to by ladders then that's is where a guttervac comes in very handy too.

Stared WFP window cleaning a year and a half ago and have over 100 satisfied customers.I'm finding that a few customers want gutters cleaning.

Seen on ebay you can buy attachments to go on your pole

Are these any good ?or what should I be looking at to buy other than an expensive vac???

What's the average price for a 3 bed detached house?

Would appreciate any help on this.

£1 to £2 a metre is a good guide . If it's got gutters just front and back and totals about 40M I'd probably charge £60. If you're getting the job done quick at £60, make sure you slow down. But you have to factor in out of reach parts of the gutter too. I did two last week at £95 each, there was no way near 95M of guttering but they took over 2 and a half hours each to do. On the other hand I have a long standing customer and I've always charged her £15. She asked me the last window clean to do her gutters, I said I will when I have time :rolleyes:. She'd be gob smacked if I charged her top dollar. Start off charging good money and you won't go wrong. How many of them would go up a ladder clearing all that sh!te out? If they want it doing they have to pay :thumbsup:

Stinky horrible job though :thumbsdown:

If you are on about progutter pro-g tools then yes they are very handy tools to have but if wanting to use ladders on your own as safely as possible then best you invest in an ankalad & microlite standoff too. Parts of jobs that you can't get to by ladders then that's is where a guttervac comes in very handy too.
I also use all these, though I have a different ladder safety equipment. But the ankalad looks excellent. I use a gutter vacuum as my primary tool and then go up a ladder only when needed. But, you could do many gutters without a vac, just get yourself a set of progutter tools and attach them to your acme thread on your trad extension pole.

I am guilty of underpricing this job /emoticons/sad.png

I set my prices per m of gutter to be cleared.

When I had no work I was charging £40 for a standard semi detached house (3 Sides) but now I have work the price has gone up a little the problem is if you charge a certain amount to one costumer they expect the same the year after. This makes them easier to clean but when you want the money....

Things to consider how full the gutters are, Do they want the face of the gutter cleaning to, how many sides or meters, Ease of access

Cheers guys

Going to invest in the pro gutter tools I think

Looks like 1 clean will pay for them..!

When I had no work I was charging £40 for a standard semi detached house (3 Sides) but now I have work the price has gone up a little the problem is if you charge a certain amount to one costumer they expect the same the year after. This makes them easier to clean but when you want the money....Things to consider how full the gutters are, Do they want the face of the gutter cleaning to, how many sides or meters, Ease of access
yeh ease of access after yesterday i had to crash through a load of bushes to get to the bloomin gutter./emoticons/smile.png

go up and check how bad the gutter is before giving price
yes i normally cba but really i should look first....thats where the camera on a pole comes in handy..../emoticons/smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops! still awaiting approval from @Gav so hopefully the link to the new gutter clearing blog should be live soon folks.

yeh ease of access after yesterday i had to crash through a load of bushes to get to the bloomin gutter./emoticons/smile.png

yes i normally cba but really i should look first....thats where the camera on a pole comes in handy..../emoticons/smile.png
been caught out myself not checking:(

You don't necessarily have to purchase any extra equipment. Sure, if you have freely available capital, then definitely go for a nice vac, and maybe some extensions. The ones Ebay seem decent enough. But, I prefer the tradition brush, scoop and bucket method. Its simple and easy, and in my experience, it gets the job done just as well. It may be a bit more laborious, but that's not too big of an issue.

I would charge depending on the condition of the gutters. Set your base price at around 15 pounds per side, and if it is in a terrible condition, then you can bump it up to 20 or 25 pounds a side. But, if you are just starting this area of work, then you can also consider starting a bit low to draw in the confidence and appreciation of your customers. Remember, word of mouth is an extremely powerful advertising tool. Once you have your name set in stone, then charge appropriately.

Guys this might be a really silly question but how do you dispose of the rubbish removed from gutters, in the customers wheely bin, or do you take it away and dispose of for them?

Guys this might be a really silly question but how do you dispose of the rubbish removed from gutters, in the customers wheely bin, or do you take it away and dispose of for them?
When giving the quote I usually ask where they want it dumped. While doing so I mention the virtues it has for their garden, as its some of the best compost you can get. So generally people are asking for me to stick it in their veg patch or flower beds, although if I forget to ask, it just goes in the green bin.

^^ ditto. I used to bring it home like a fool. Now it goes on THEIR garden or in THEIR green bin. Done 2 gutter jobs today with the vac and I'm knackered :zzz:

Back