Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How Much Do You Pay Occasional / Bank Staff?

W

WWC

Hi,

I was thinking of starting to take on some help. Right now, I wanted to get someone for 1-2 days a week. They would be working with me and not on jobs by themselves. How much do you pay them and do you pay a daily or hourly wage or percentage of the jobs?

Having run another business previous to this one with multiple staff, I understand the hassle, grief and complications that go with staff. So, I am just interested in hearing about how much do you pay them.

Thanks.

I sometimes employ someone to help on gutter jobs and I pay him £60 a day clear (8hours inc breaks).

I have seen adverts asking for staff window cleaning, and they are offering £70 a day, which seems fair for both parties.

for occasional staff you have to pay more per hour than for full timers, id shoot for 8 per hour if i was . if you are planning on expanding tell the worker before you employ that if they work well its likely to be fulltime within a year ,in which case id pay 7 per hour from the very start

start nine until five £50 if we have had good day give him extra £10. I make it quite flexable.It gives then the insentive to graft if they think they are going to get lets say little bonus.

Thanks for your input, I had in mind somewhere between £50 - £70 myself depending on how well they worked, but wasn't sure what others do, or what would be concidered fair. I also know that sometimes, they need a bit of incentive to not slack, even if they are working on the same jobs as me. In a previous business I have had staff that can genuinely work really well... when they are supervised. But, are professional skivers when working on their own.

WWC you will never get anyone to work and be committed like yourself thats why i dangle the carrot work hard you will get extra

some times when all is going well at 5pm id say do another house only takes 15mins he gets the payment after all my money is made for day

they always go for the extra 15mins

If they were as good as me I paid 40% of the day's earnings, sometimes 45% if there was minimal collecting to go back to do.

£70-80 a day is the going rate down here. Most I know give £70 as a minimum then offer £80-90 if it's a good day to reward hard work.

A big tip is to hire local full time firefighters; They're trained in ladders, most part time anyway, flexible to different days each week (very few firefight same days each week) and you can legally hire them as a subcontractor giving them a cash rate with all NI/Tax/Public Liability insurance responsibilities being theirs as they are already employed full time else where.

Back