Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

3300W + extension reel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

RWCleaning

Hi guys

Hope you’re all well. I’ve tried scrolling through on google, and used the search bar here, but I’m struggling to find info on my current extension reel, and potentially where I can find a more powerful one.

I now have a triple motor 3300W gutter vac. My extension reel I’ve been using for a while now (before I got the new vac) has a 3150W warning sticker on it. How potentially unsafe is that? If I was to use all three motors (3300w) for short uses? I used the vac on Monday but only used 2 of the 3 motors to be safe.

But I understand ideally I prefer to be safe that sorry. But I’m struggling to find a reel that ticks the boxes of:

•230/240v
•25 metres 
•3300W + rating  
•Thermal cut out   
•Plug sockets are covered so can be used outside in a shower etc 

Appreciate your help and advice. 

Hi guys

Hope you’re all well. I’ve tried scrolling through on google, and used the search bar here, but I’m struggling to find info on my current extension reel, and potentially where I can find a more powerful one.

I now have a triple motor 3300W gutter vac. My extension reel I’ve been using for a while now (before I got the new vac) has a 3150W warning sticker on it. How potentially unsafe is that? If I was to use all three motors (3300w) for short uses? I used the vac on Monday but only used 2 of the 3 motors to be safe.

But I understand ideally I prefer to be safe that sorry. But I’m struggling to find a reel that ticks the boxes of:

•230/240v
•25 metres 
•3300W + rating  
•Thermal cut out   
•Plug sockets are covered so can be used outside in a shower etc 

Appreciate your help and advice. 
The common mistake many make when using an extension lead is to not fully unspool it and the resistance increases and causes a beautiful burn patten in the customers lawn.

I have a few commercial reels I’ve rewired myself using 3mm Flex salvaged from my stage rigging days 

Speak to Julia or Mark at @GVS Julia MartinGutter vacuum systems Ltd as they have a bomb proof 16A 3600w Extension Cables at 25M a great investment and a safer option 

I'd be worried that you might fry the customer's plug socket and or wiring. That's why most of us who use immersions for heating the water avoid 3kw and opt for 2kw instead. Different situation if your using a suitable generator of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a bit more to consider:

UK electricity was harmonised with EU voltages back in January 2003 to 230vac. So you have a BS1362 13A fuse in a BS1363 plug.

BS1362 was first published in 1973 and finally in 1991, so before harmonisation!!!!!

To calculate watts it's Amps X Volts so 13 X 230 = 2990 watts. Therefore technically you can only pull 2990 watts through a UK 13A plug!! So when manufacturers sell 3300 watt items with a UK 13A plug on they are bending the rules a little. 

I am not saying a 13A fuse will not allow 3300 watts to flow through it as it will and a whole lot more for a shortish duration. 

In my personal opinion I would happily use a fully unreeled 3150 watt extension reel outdoors for an appliance rated at 3300 watts.

What I would try and do is make sure the extension cable is 1.5mm2 as that is rated at 15 Amps. 1.25mm2 flex is rated at 13 Amps!

Also, as you know, stagger the starting of the 3 motors.

I'm using a 3600 watt vac. I always unreel cable do the staggered start. I sometimes use 100m of extension cable.

Can be dodgy on people's houses who have old electrics... 

Best thing to do is run two motors for the majority of the job, three on the tough hard to get out stuff. 

If your 3300 watt is it the skyVac Industrial your using? 

There is a bit more to consider:

UK electricity was harmonised with EU voltages back in January 2003 to 230vac. So you have a BS1362 13A fuse in a BS1363 plug.

BS1362 was first published in 1973 and finally in 1991, so before harmonisation!!!!!

To calculate watts it's Amps X Volts so 13 X 230 = 2990 watts. Therefore technically you can only pull 2990 watts through a UK 13A plug!! So when manufacturers sell 3300 watt items with a UK 13A plug on they are bending the rules a little. 

I am not saying a 13A fuse will not allow 3300 watts to flow through it as it will and a whole lot more for a shortish duration. 

In my personal opinion I would happily use a fully unreeled 3150 watt extension reel outdoors for an appliance rated at 3300 watts.

What I would try and do is make sure the extension cable is 1.5mm2 as that is rated at 15 Amps. 1.25mm2 flex is rated at 13 Amps!

Also, as you know, stagger the starting of the 3 motors.
Wow. Thank you.  
That was probably the most interesting and informative answer I’ve ever heard on here, about anything! Cheers mate ?

Wow. Thank you.  
That was probably the most interesting and informative answer I’ve ever heard on here, about anything! Cheers mate ?
You are welcome, glad I could help.

I was simplifying things and didn't touch on voltage drop over long cables. Best to use 1.5mm2 cable if possible and always unreeled. If it's coiled then the electro magnetic fields created are like an induction heater. A length of flex lying on the ground with air around it will be fine.

I deliberately purchased a 3x1000w machine to be on the safe side, not every customers electricity supply is up to scratch.

Latest Posts

Back