Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Extending An Harris Pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mart1001

My father in law wants me to clean his windows but, he lives in a two storey block of flats. I have an Harris pole which I use for tricky windows and when I feel I can't get a good footing with my ladder.

So, can anyone recommend a way to extend my Harris pole. I can't afford to pay 90 odd quid for the 30ft Hunger pole at the moment plus, I love how lightweight the Harris pole is. I did hear somewhere that the Harris pole will fit the bottom section of the Hunger pole, once the rubber handle is removed....can anyone confirm this and if so, can I buy just this section individually ?

Or, does anyone know of a nother way I can extend the Harris pole sufficiently to allow me to reach 2nd floor windows ?

I have a keen interest in going totally ladderless at some point but, I want to stay 100% traditional in doing so.

Thanks in advance...

Mart.

i know your trying to help family out but is it worth the hassle for one job? or if you think it will lead to a few more second floor jobs then invest in a decent pole

i know your trying to help family out but is it worth the hassle for one job? or if you think it will lead to a few more second floor jobs then invest in a decent pole
Well yes, as I say, I already have the Harris pole so, if I could find a way to extend this for let's say 20 quid, it would pay for itself in no time at all especially if someone from the same block of flats should ask me to clean theirs.
My biggest squeegee is 14", if someone ask's me to clean their shop window, would it not be worth me buying a 24" blade in anticipation of more shop fronts ?

Mart.

I extended mine ages ago but it really wasn't rigid enough and heavy when extended. I used an aliminium clothes prop (ask the missus), just used half of it as top section and that gave me around 5 extra feet. Not mega strong and you'd need to modify and hold it up when extended but cheap way of doing it. Mine worked but I took it off.

Well yes, as I say, I already have the Harris pole so, if I could find a way to extend this for let's say 20 quid, it would pay for itself in no time at all especially if someone from the same block of flats should ask me to clean theirs.
My biggest squeegee is 14", if someone ask's me to clean their shop window, would it not be worth me buying a 24" blade in anticipation of more shop fronts ?

Mart.
exactly you wouldnt try sticking 2 12inch blades together would you? also ive got a harris pole i use for gutters and fascia's and fully extended (15ft) its very flexible cant imagine a 30ft one being simple to use especially for trad work. i fully respect the fact you want to be ladder-less and trad at the same time but if thats the route you choose youve just got to accept that you wont be able to do every job you come across

I think there is another way I seen it done for wfp but never tried it. Get another harris and take the middle section to use as a bottom section. Obviously you have to take it off when jobs done but just put clamp on bottom of harris and slip the fourth section in when needed. Still only 20 feet though.

But, I don't need a 30ft Harris pole jimbob. I only refer to the Unger 30ft pole in respect that I haven't got 90 quid or whatever to spend on it yet but, maybe I would if I could pick up enough 2nd storey work to warrant it.

How high is the top of an average 2nd storey window ? Well, I can work it out roughly based on...an average room being around 8ft+half foot either way for floor and inbetween floors. So let's say 9ft per floor....1st floor=18ft....2nd floor=27ft.

An Harris pole is actually just over 16ft Dodger, I'm over 6ft myself so, 16+6=22ft. Then I have my arms above my head so add another 2ft=24ft....I'm around 3ft, let's say 4ft short. I know what you're saying jimbob but, I'm really not talking about bodging two Harris poles together with a load of duct tape, I'm talking about safetly extending my Harris pole by about 5ft max which is why I ask if anyone knows of a pole such as a section of the Unger range(if they can be bought as individual sections) or any other pole that I could use to safetly extend what I've already got to, work at this height.

Mart.

I know Mart I have one, yes wagga used an unger section so check his vids.

To extend the Harris the second way I mentioned is actually as safe as the rest of the Harris as it uses one of the original clamps, I have seen it done.

If it helps we have 3 or 4 long sections from an unger pole. You more than welcome to them for the price of postage. They are just the bare poles, no cones or plastic bits. Needs a DIY mind or buying the plastic bits /emoticons/smile.png

I know Mart I have one, yes wagga used an unger section so check his vids.
To extend the Harris the second way I mentioned is actually as safe as the rest of the Harris as it uses one of the original clamps, I have seen it done.
Yes, thanks alot Dodger. I gather you mean that you basically reverse the middle section of the 2nd pole, into the bottom of the 1st pole. I'm not too sure about fitting a smaller diameter pole into the base, I would really prefer a wider diameter but, if you feel it's safe enough, it might be worth a go....at the end of the day, it's only 15 quid plus, I would still have a backup pole if it didn't work.I think I might pop to B&Q tomorrow.

Damo, thanks alot for that offer mate, it really is appreciated. Not sure how much that pnp would work out to but, I think it may be cheaper for me to try Dodgers suggestion first. Thanks again.

Mart.

Can anyone tell me how I get the Harris pole apart ?

When I fully unscrew the lock and extend the one section, it comes to a stop when I try to pull it out....I don't want to force anything ?

Mart.

Just to update this thread.

I didn't fancy the 2nd Harris pole trick afterall Dodger as, I couldn't see anyway of removing the clamps and a thinner pole into the bottom just felt too flimsey. Today I was all set to buy a 24ft pole for 66 quid and after paying and told to collect it, it turned out they were out of stock. So after being shown some other poles and then being informed that I can actually buy the individual sections of the Unger Teleplus afterall, I tried my Harris in the base(no.5) 2M section and although it wouldn't lock properly in the clamp, I decided to have this instead. Cost my 30 quid so I was refunded £36.

I got it home and after examining it properly, I couldn't see any reason it wouldn't lock off if done up tight. So, I tried again and sure enough, aslong as it's done up tight, it does lock off. So, I now have a 22ft pole which is quite light and with my 6"2 height, it looks plenty long enough. I'm gonna try it out on my father-in-laws windows on Sunday.

Mart.

Nice one mart glad it worked out. I think that post should be tagged as best answer in case anyone else wants to do it.

Nice one mart glad it worked out. I think that post should be tagged as best answer in case anyone else wants to do it.
Maybe best waiting for the result of my Sunday test session /emoticons/smile.png

So, I popped out to my in-laws flat today and when I got there and looked up at the windows, the windows suddenly seemed to stretch upwards into the sky like one of those effects you see in a horror film when they pan in at the same time as walking backwards lol. I suddenly thought, christ, they're higher than I thought...must be 30ft up, I'm never gonna reach them. Well, my pole did easily reached and so I began cleaning the first window. The missus had come with me and was looking through the window and as I finished the first one, she started pointing..."don't start pointing where I've missed" I thought but then, I realised she wasn't pointing but was infact giving me a thumbs up lol.

So, I stopped there and went up to have a look...I'd left just a run of water along the very bottom as I hadn't put any angle on my adapter when detailing but other than that, it was perfect. So, I went back down and did the remaining windows. By the time I reached the last window, I suddenly noticed how that stretched feeling I felt at the start, had now gone the other way and the windows infact, didn't seem much higher than the average first floor. Infact, I felt more comfortable pole-ing these windows as the height, seemed to allow me a better angle and I could see the water on the glass better when squeegeeing.

So, I finished off and went to inspect my work and I have to admit, I was chuffed with it. On one pane of glass, I noticed a run and on another, a couple of spots of water I had missed but other than that and considering it's my first time working at that height with a pole, I was delighted with the finish and so was my father-in-law. It took me about 40 minutes in all but, that's with running up and down the stairway a couple of times and examining the windows. I reckon I could do the job in about 20-25 minutes next time.

PF1.jpg

My pole is plenty long enough

PF2.jpg

Pole-ing with ease

PF3.jpg

Closing out

PF4.jpg

Wagtail on a stick!

PF5.jpg

...and detailing.

The pole was incredibly lightweight and the flex was satisfyingly minimal and as Dodger mentioned, cost me about 50 quid in total, that's including the angle adapter.

I really don't know what I was worried about. Proof that ladderless or the word 'pole', doesn't have to mean, water fed.

Mart.

Latest Posts

Back