Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

am I being wise

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Joecross89

Hi all

Thinking of starting my own window cleaning round. got a few months experience helping out a freind but that's about all. 

I currently work in audio visual conferences and events and earn a decent salary. 

The problem is I'm away from home a lot and work at least 12 hours a day with 3 young kids at home. 

Basically I am asking for advise on starting up I have enough stashed away for a small van and system and was hoping someone could give me an idea of how long it took them to establish them selves and start earning enough to li ve on. 

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Joe 

If you're currently working with a friend then the next step is to do the same hours working for yourself and see how it goes. I would never suggest someone with financial commitments to wrap it in to set up in a relatively unknown business. You might hit the ground running, you might not and being the careful person I am that's not a chance I would personally take. 

I have a bit of promised work already just by speaking to friends and other window cleaners I know (about 300 a month) would it be better to try and fill weekends before I pack in the job? 

Probably best to compare what your currently making and then see whether its a viable option to leave the job and get by on 300. An extra 300 on a weekend would be good.

I would work weekends first to build up a client base as gaining good regular client's isn't as easy as it may seem and can take a lot of hard work to get to the point of earning a decent wage. 

Money isnt everything ,as i read you,ve already exp. Guessing you earn a fair wage at your current job with these hours.

what do YOU want ? We all started out small, ( most of them i know at least) and if you want this lifestyle and willing to put in a lot of work for Much less pay in the beginning than you are use to now , then why not?

of course you Got to cover your nuts, and it May mean parttime at first.

I would suggest doing Saturdays 1st,build up a client list.

If you have financial commitments then you really need to hit the ground running. Have you considered purchasing a round. These can be pricey, 3x monthly take and sometimes much more.

The winter months are approaching so poor weather will have to be factored in. This can be demoralising when your sat in doors watching the rain run down the window.

So maybe continue doing Saturdays,wait until the Spring. Lots of add on work ie fascias, jet washing etc. This will help boost your income until you are established

Thanks guys. 

Realistically I want more time at home with the family. I know money will be tight at the start. 

I think the work weekends over the winter and keep budding until spring is a good idea. 

I come home with 2500 a month now and I'm not expecting wages to me matched for a long time but thanks for all the advise. 

Also as I'm doing it in part time would I be better off buying a trolly system and loads of refill 25l barrels And running from my car?

Cheers 

What’s it worth to you in the long run? How long are you realistically going to be fit enough to be out window cleaning in all weathers. There’s no paid holidays which you probably get now, theres no sick pay. When you stop there is nothing, as there is no pension. I’ve already accepted that i may have to work until i literally drop dead as i have no pensions from previous employments and i’m a lone earner, (other half can only work a few hours a week as shes a full time carer for little un who’s disabled) There’s never been a better time to be employed really. I really love the window cleaning biz but i’m not gonna lie if i was offered a reasonable salary where i’d get paid everyday of the week regardless of whether im in work, on holiday, sick, or old, id be tempted. That being said work isn’t as secure as it once was, many people have to re-apply for their jobs every 3 years, some i know have been made redundant due to various companies struggling and have taken 6 months or more to find work again, some still haven’t.
Working away sucks i’ve been there also and got the t-shirt printed but everything comes with its own pros and cons.
Can you afford to be splashing out on a start up business that has no guarantees when you’ve got 3 kids? Do you really want to be spending your weekends building up a business and losing time with them? I dont want to discourage you at all, but its no walk in the park & it could turn in to a big regret. Ive made some huge financial blunders in the past investing in things that didn’t work out and it does hurt, a lot.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thanks guys. 

Realistically I want more time at home with the family. I know money will be tight at the start. 

I think the work weekends over the winter and keep budding until spring is a good idea. 

I come home with 2500 a month now and I'm not expecting wages to me matched for a long time but thanks for all the advise. 

Also as I'm doing it in part time would I be better off buying a trolly system and loads of refill 25l barrels And running from my car?

Cheers 
Its all up to you . A backpack on a little trolley dosnt cost much , just go with the essentials , common trad gear, and If you know youre going wfp . Then a backpack is a cheap way in , you can always upscale as you go ..

If weekends is what it takes yea I'm happy to do it all as long as there is an end game. 

I'm 29 so plenty of tread on the tyres. 
Try not to spend any money you make doing this part time, easier said than done I know. If you can build up some savings this will allow you to leave your current job earlier and start your new venture with a financial buffer to take the pressure off you. Good luck whichever path you chose.

Back