Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone using the double DI method

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hope nobody minds me jumping on the post. 

I use double di but looking to make it more efficient. 

Have found a 25 micron sediment filter I want to try using but it says a minimum pressure of 0.5 bar on the filter housing. 

I have found letting the water trickle through the DI vessels makes the resin last longer (or maybe it's just my imagination). Would the water go through this sediment filter ok if just trickling or would it need pressure? 

Hope nobody minds me jumping on the post. 

I use double di but looking to make it more efficient. 

Have found a 25 micron sediment filter I want to try using but it says a minimum pressure of 0.5 bar on the filter housing. 

I have found letting the water trickle through the DI vessels makes the resin last longer (or maybe it's just my imagination). Would the water go through this sediment filter ok if just trickling or would it need pressure? 
0.5 bar is around 7psi if I remember correctly. Even water under low pressure will go through most systems, I'd have thought. Enough to to keep it from getting stale, hopefully.

I don't think it's your imagination. I came to the same conclusion a few years ago.

I think you're right about letting the water trickle. I do the same. I've found in the past that after the system has been shut down completely for a couple of weeks, such as when I've been on holiday, the tds often has spiked.

Now, I try not to let the system stay still for too long. When we were going on lockdown I left the van tank get low so water would have no chance of going stale. Also to keep the water weight off the van while it was going to be parked up.

With the processing equipment at home, I had let the IBC tank get low before the lockdown and just processed a little every few days. I backflushed for a while every few days as well. We had changed the filters and resin just before the lockdown. The tds stayed at 000 during the whole 6 weeks or so we were off work.

I think both water and car batteries do best if they are not left for too long without any flow going through them.

I'm sorry @Frosty126 but Finerfilters are not window cleaning r/o suppliers. They are dealing with cheap Chinese manufactured membranes. I honestly believe you are going to have to kick that r/o out and get one supplied and tested by Daqua. Yes its much more expensive than what you have bought but so be it.

I obviously don't know about the di vessel itself but @doug atkinsonwill supply you with a good quality resin.
Hi Spruce,

I'm Shaun from Finerfilters and would just like to reply to a comment you made previously.

The customer's RO system that is displayed wasn't purchased from us. We do not advertise our RO systems as strictly Window Cleaning RO's as we understand that the single membrane set up is not sufficient for window cleaning volumes. Our drinking water and aquarium RO's are configured for those uses only, but we do also offer membrane upgrade kits which allows customer to add membrane housings to upgrade and increase capacity if they wish to configure the unit for other applications.

The Resin Vessel was indeed purchased from us. I am almost certain the customer was not using a mixed bed DI resin, so this may be the reason for the high readings. Our customer service would be happy to help any customers with any queries or questions should they contact us.

We are currently expanding our Window Cleaning filter range, including adding 4040 Reverse Osmosis Membranes & Housings from suppliers such as Spectrum which rival popular brands such as Axeon for output and longevity, at a reduced cost. We're also supplying 25L bags of Tulsion mixed bed resin, carbon cartridges, sediment cartridges and housings. In the near future we will be supplying 200, 300 and 400GPD RO's aswell.

In response to the Chinese membrane point, it is true we supply Vontron membranes with all of our domestic and aquarium units. Vontron are a well established brand with over 18 years of development and the membranes offer sufficient filtration for these smaller domestic systems. We also offer different membranes from LG and Spectrum for 50-150GPD capacities.

We're always happy to hear back from potential or existing customers, so any feedback or product recommendations are always welcome and appreciated.

Feel free to drop me an email at any time - [email protected] and thank you for discussing us on this forum.

Best regards - Shaun

If your Tds is anything above 120 consistently id probably say an R.O is necessary. We are Double DI in a soft water area usually 60-80 avg but often rises to 120 especially after long dry periods as the water company sometimes swap which pumping station our supply comes from. When it goes up to 120 or 130 we eat resin noticeably quicker and say to ourselves thank god this is as bad as it ever gets, otherwise we would defo need an RO. 

you dont use double DI all the time..........the only time its needed(to be effective and get the most out of your resin)is when the single vessel water your using starts to rise(say 005 tds)........then you put another fresh resin vessel in front of it(nearest the tank)until the old vessel gets to your tap tds(mine is 028)then discard and go back to using a single vessel until it starts to creep up again...and the cycle continues.....
Ignore this . 100% wrong . The only time you use 1 vessel is the first time . After that it is double di continuously. 

Ignore this . 100% wrong . The only time you use 1 vessel is the first time . After that it is double di continuously. 
That’s what I thought. I always use 2 constantly and when the tds goes above 0 I’ll swap around the order of the vessels and refill the oldest one which will now be the end one on the chain they way it’s not having to work as hard from the off. 

theres no need to use 2 continuously.....when my single vessel starts to rise i put a fresh vessel in front of it to get it back to 000 in my tank.....when the original single vessel TDS gets to my tap TDS(024)..I discard it and go back to the one vessel...until that starts to rise and then the cycle continues......

i DI my water straight into my tank after my days work....using 2 vessels continuously will make no difference!

Back