Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

They've only tested people at the hospital so you can't rely on that figure. Also as the incubation period is long by the time they realise someone has it the figures are wrong.  I read a peer reviewed paper that calculated the current cases as approx 800 times the current death rate. 250 ish died today, So around 200000 current cases in UK. 

I know of 3 or 4 people that have it (only one of which has been tested, as they tell you to isolate at home, the one tested is in ICU) so that's probably not a bad estimate.
If that 800 times figure was true then it would be around 0.125 death rate, which is along the same lines as the flu.

I think it was here before Christmas. The amount of business people flying into that region of China not to mention Chinese visiting family ect then going back to places all over the world. 

I remeber before Christmas I had a flu I couldn't shake.. In February I had a bad spell where I had a really tight feeling in my chest. Got over it...

My wife had a really bad sickness and like me she normally never picks up much. She got over it weeks ago now. We both thought it was unusual at the time. 
I agree I think it’s highly likely we were the same over the Christmas holiday period , I still have the cough now !,,,,

I remember speaking to a number of my customers pre Christmas who also said they had a bad flu they just couldn't shake.

The sooner we have an affordable testing kit we can buy the better. What Boots are selling currently costs £380 per test. It's not for sale to the public yet.. But they have it for NHS workers. 

Exactly. The idea of having no income for 3 months is bad enough. I won't be stopping while the option to continue is there. I've only had 1 customer in the last week that didn't want me to come due to the virus. Most have been pleased to hear I can still continue.
Got 3 cancellations tomorrow from 54. I'm certain the cancellations will increase as it get more serious. There is only a 1/350 chance of contracting it in our area and there is only 8 cases in North East Lincolnshire as things stand compared to the cities which are currently around 1/10. Case of plodding on till i think its too risky if it gets that bad. But 6 Months will ruin most people tbh.

If that 800 times figure was true then it would be around 0.125 death rate, which is along the same lines as the flu.
No, because the ones that have it now won't die for a few weeks. You can only calculate an accurate death rate from cases that have been resolved. That's working out around 4% apparently

Last edited by a moderator:
No, because the ones that have it now won't die for a few weeks. You can only calculate an accurate death rate from cases that have been resolved. That's working out around 4% apparently
It working out at 4% for deaths/confirmed cases maybe. But there is an assumption of there being at least 10-20 times as many people infected as there are confirmed which changes things significantly. Germany are testing a lot and the last I saw was a death rate of around 0.5% there.

One thing I do think on a personal level , is this has been out a lot longer than people think and more have recovered than people think .

This will become evident when the antibody tests come out and yes there might be calls then that what were doing is a bit overkill .

But is it ?? . People are dieing and we don't know if its been out a lot longer so you have to go with the worst case scenario you cant guess about things , itsabout minimising your risks to as near as 0% ass possible to keep everyone safe . 

But my own opinion is a lot of people have had this and recovered already and time will say this .
And we are getting some better data rather than the blanket X amount have died from Covid-19, and always comparing us to Italy. Heard a news report on Sky.....98% of the people who have died in this Country of Covid-19 had other underlying health issues!. And the Government figures say 1,644 people die every day in the UK and estimate some 20,000 will die of Covid-19 this year, the majority being the elderly and that between half and two thirds  of that 20,000 would of died anyway, which leaves probably 6-10 thousand will die from the virus, compared to  usually some 8,000 dieing annually from Flu in the UK. Italian culture also means a lot of families have their parents/grandparents living in same household, thus the elderly there get contaminated easier and the old are the most vulnerable. Self isolation will keep chances of getting it...and maybe  more importantly passing it on to the vulnerable essential for the next few weeks then back to normal.

I just read 3 UK doctors treating the virus have died and only middle-age. Retired doctors are coming back for £100 an hour but even at that price, would you risk your life? I read 40 doctors in Italy have died treating the virus and they were all fit and well. From this I believe there is one strain that kills and that's why the doctors are dying because that strain is hospitalising patients who they are treating. I just read Sweden is carrying on like normal and they have only 100 odd deaths.

I think it was here before Christmas. The amount of business people flying into that region of China not to mention Chinese visiting family ect then going back to places all over the world. 

I remeber before Christmas I had a flu I couldn't shake.. In February I had a bad spell where I had a really tight feeling in my chest. Got over it...

My wife had a really bad sickness and like me she normally never picks up much. She got over it weeks ago now. We both thought it was unusual at the time. 
100%. Around Christmas time i'm convinced I had it and many that I work with. I looked at the mortality rates on the ONS (office for national statistics), there were almost an additional 7000 deaths in the last quarter of 2019 when compared to an average for the last 5 years and a significant increase in deaths of over 75 year olds. It also mentioned a lot more pneumonia, I do not believe it's a coincidence.

It doesn't matter if the media are stating that some people were usually fit and healthy, I know some one who is 90 years old he is a fit and healthy looking fella and looks as strong as an ox, whether some one is 50 to 90+ the older we all get our immune systems become less efficient at fighting off infections this is a medical fact so some one might be 55 years old  and have a weaker immune system than me who is 45 years old, also no doubt if someone is/was in their 40's and an alcoholic or drug addict they would be in the same boat.

No matter who dies from this virus they won't be releasing all the facts on peoples age and health the media will get fed info and how they choose to report it is up to them, they all like a good headline, the only ones I know that have reigned things in over the last 2 weeks are the BBC as they were getting slated and had loads of complaints.  

100%. Around Christmas time i'm convinced I had it and many that I work with. I looked at the mortality rates on the ONS (office for national statistics), there were almost an additional 7000 deaths in the last quarter of 2019 when compared to an average for the last 5 years and a significant increase in deaths of over 75 year olds. It also mentioned a lot more pneumonia, I do not believe it's a coincidence.
You are probably right because over 75s would be put down to old age in a human's mind.

Anybody out cleaning today? I had lastweek off as i have a large round of domestic houses and wasn't sure it was safe to work.Really want to get back to work today but only if its safe/ ok to do so.

Anybody out cleaning today? I had lastweek off as i have a large round of domestic houses and wasn't sure it was safe to work.Really want to get back to work today but only if its safe/ ok to do so.
I’m just heading out to do a quick canvas, the ones that are happy for me to continue will get cleaned. And if they say no I’ll respect that and leave them till better times return. 

Going to absolutely deploy a strict social distancing, no cash measure but. 

each to their own......but ive been carrying on as normal in regards to working(with a few social distancing measures).....and will do until the government implement a stricter lockdown(if they do)......

personally i couldnt stand by and watch my business crumble before my very eyes.....we are allowed to work alone so should be out there keeping the economy going IMO.....

Has anyone cancelled  the insurance / SORN  the vehicle ? or waiting to see what's gonna happen in 3 weeks .

I only had 2 customers who cancelled  just before PM's announcement last week but I reckon there will be more to come..

Has anyone cancelled  the insurance / SORN  the vehicle ? or waiting to see what's gonna happen in 3 weeks .

I only had 2 customers who cancelled  just before PM's announcement last week but I reckon there will be more to come..
Not gonna sorn my van as it is also my personal vehicle (not enough space to park another car with wifes and sons and his girlfriends).

I still use it for shop runs etc.. plus only pay £300 odd quid a year anyway insurance and tax isn't too bad.

Screenshot_20200330-093741_WhatsAppBusiness.jpg

Not gonna sorn my van as it is also my personal vehicle (not enough space to park another car with wifes and sons and his girlfriends).

I still use it for shop runs etc.. plus only pay £300 odd quid a year anyway insurance and tax isn't too bad.

View attachment 19887
Yes not bad i pay about £750 for insurance and £260 in tax also have a second vehicle that's why i ll probably cancel one

Yes not bad i pay about £750 for insurance and £260 in tax also have a second vehicle that's why i ll probably cancel one
I use a 5 year old bipper and have been driving since 1992 with no blameworthy accidents so insurance is very cheap for me.

Wife named driver with business cover for her business also included in that.

*Below is copy and pasted off https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

5. I’m not a critical worker and I can’t work from home. What should I do?

If you cannot work from home then you can still travel to work. This is consistent with the Chief Medical Officer’s advice.

Critical workers are those who can still take their children to school or childcare. This critical worker definition does not affect whether or not you can travel to work – if you are not a critical worker, you may still travel to work provided you cannot work from home.

My thoughts are us self-employed will be used as a Patsy, also after having a week off I feel like going back to work as nothing has changed other than peoples opinions because of the mixed messages put out by the government, the media and police also my thoughts have changed on if I should go out, because I reckon we will get shafted off Doris this year and next when they start putting demands on tax owed next Jan if I don't work for however long I ain't going to be able to afford to pay my tax bill which will be well over 10K next Jan, and I fecking hate owing money and this is starting to worry me now 

*Below is copy and pasted off https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

5. I’m not a critical worker and I can’t work from home. What should I do?

If you cannot work from home then you can still travel to work. This is consistent with the Chief Medical Officer’s advice.

Critical workers are those who can still take their children to school or childcare. This critical worker definition does not affect whether or not you can travel to work – if you are not a critical worker, you may still travel to work provided you cannot work from home.
Is there a difference between travelling to your fixed place of work and working all day driving place to place?

In my eyes no but what do they call travelling to work?

Just playing devil's advocate. 

Latest Posts

Back