Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Im not working.Been off since last monday.Ive a large round of domestic houses with a lot of elderly customers.All pay in cash on day or on my collecting nights.Dont think its safe and i think a lot of my customers would be upset/angry if i turned up.Just dosent seem right when the streets are deserted.
I was out today it’s actually the opposite of what you’re saying most people are happy to see you and the ones that are not not upset with you just don’t want you to clean the windows for many reasons which I don’t want to get into now if you’re getting paid cash do what I do use hand sanitiser and clean the money

My sister's a nurse, a very intelligent one doing a PhD at the moment.

But she's the last person I speak to about advice on working.  It's all doom and gloom in the NHS - and with all respect, they don't look at the bigger picture.
It was advise about asthma where I am sure she is more qualified than a window cleaner to assess whether I'd be at more risk . 

So I worked today in the end and it went fine.

Most customers sent nice messages to thank me after of been.

Revenue for the day was about 20-25% down on what it should be as some said to skip.

Had a few passers by, no one gave me any funny looks or said anything negative

I should add what safeguards I put in place (and made my customers aware of before hand):

Cleaning hoses and poles with hypo after each job

Not knocking on doors or posting invoices

Wearing gloves, also wiped with hypo each job

No cash, cheque or face to face card payments

No insides or access through house jobs

To make sure gates are opened and gardens vacted

Also invited them to contact me with any concerns they have, people are more likely to tell me they don't want me to come and not talk about me that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
people just need to agree to disagree,

Theres a reason for both and either side wont agree

IVe spoke to 200 customers today abou us not attending and they have all been extremely pleasant, happy and understanding.

I had one angry person and that was because he didnt want us to clean anyway lol

hardly any customer will say to your face they dont want you there, what they say about you afterwards is a different kettle of fish

each to there its your business your the master of your own destiny

Leaflet dropped all customers last two days, 90% want me to continue doing Windows, generally relaxed about it. I stressed social distancing, everyone has agreed to pay online no problem. Quite pleased at the positive response, so back to work tomorrow for me 

Leaflet dropped all customers last two days, 90% want me to continue doing Windows, generally relaxed about it. I stressed social distancing, everyone has agreed to pay online no problem. Quite pleased at the positive response, so back to work tomorrow for me 
Wasn't that an unnecessary bit of contact?

Been out both days this week, no abuse, customers were happy to wave at me safely behind their now shiny windows. I always message or call the evening before only now I'm explaining that I need to maintain social distancing (BACS transfers, no cups of tea etc).

The information I was reading this morning explained that social distancing measures will need to continue long after this initial peak of the virus has passed and the lockdown has been lifted as the virus will be with us for a long time. Obviously when that time comes the lower numbers of infections will be less of a burden on the NHS and crematorium services.

Are cleaners really going to wait until there is a vaccine before they go out cleaning again to ensure they don't spread the virus to their customers even when the lockdown is lifted? Could be a very long wait.

Been out both days this week, no abuse, customers were happy to wave at me safely behind their now shiny windows. I always message or call the evening before only now I'm explaining that I need to maintain social distancing (BACS transfers, no cups of tea etc).

The information I was reading this morning explained that social distancing measures will need to continue long after this initial peak of the virus has passed and the lockdown has been lifted as the virus will be with us for a long time. Obviously when that time comes the lower numbers of infections will be less of a burden on the NHS and crematorium services.

Are cleaners really going to wait until there is a vaccine before they go out cleaning again to ensure they don't spread the virus to their customers even when the lockdown is lifted? Could be a very long wait.
me personally will wait for a few things

Furlough/Testing/Vaccine/Government advice

its a daily decision as we are itching to go, but we wont go out again until my lads are safe customers are as safe as can be, which result in no damage to brand.

I honestly believe the recovery from all of this which will happen will be phenomenal for anybody in the cleaning industry!!! its a short term cost (albeit a lot of money) for a long term game.

I got offered to be bought out a few months ago should I have took it, I dunno am I upset no not at all.

This is a generational if not greater even and that will always create opportunities

Theres a lot of window cleaners on here who are wasted as window cleaners. They should serving in government or strategic management public relations roles for the NHS.
I shouldnt bite but I am bored!!!

If all you ever want to be window cleaner thats fine fella, but dont knock other people for trying to do something different. or going down a different route, we all have reasons for making the decisions we have the last week and we all ultimately have to stand by them.

Certainly not going to wait for the vaccine....I would be out of business if I did that. My own personal target is to be starting in around 5 weeks time, allowing for the remaining 2 weeks of the current lockdown and then 2/3 weeks of a stricter lockdown in which only key workers can work. After this I am hoping that the country will be in a better position. Of course, I may be totally wrong.

This has been tough for us windowcleaners. I have torn myself inside out in trying to decide what to do for the best and still question myself now. It's nearly always on my mind.

Anyway....time for a pint??

Exact opposite, first time in 30+ years of marriage I'm actually making money from her, rather than her costing me.  :2_thumbs_up_-_animated:
my missus came off my payroll to get a proper job again in jan shes just been furloughed on full pay to watch the kids for 2 months

Certainly not going to wait for the vaccine....I would be out of business if I did that. My own personal target is to be starting in around 5 weeks time, allowing for the remaining 2 weeks of the current lockdown and then 2/3 weeks of a stricter lockdown in which only key workers can work. After this I am hoping that the country will be in a better position. Of course, I may be totally wrong.

This has been tough for us windowcleaners. I have torn myself inside out in trying to decide what to do for the best and still question myself now. It's nearly always on my mind.

Anyway....time for a pint??
you dust yourself off and go again!!

I have never known an industry that has so many factors that can cause issues.

I would love to say I hate it but its a good laugh and certainly eventful

Back