Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Single man, PAYE so no help available. Recently gave up the Lions share of marital home as adult children are disabled and their needs and their mums I thought were greater than mine. 50 years old, desperately working every hour to cover the rent, bills and trying to give myself a chance of having my own place again and not a room in a shared house.

Government minister said if you can work in isolation and maintain the social distancing rules then you should work. That's good enough for me. Some customers will want to leave it and that's fine but I'll do what I can.
And this is the problem for the government hence the grey area. They've tried to cover most bases but some like yourself will slip through the net. The message is undoubtedly stay at home and reduce the odds. I'm reading the grey area and ambiguity as 'we'll turn a blind eye to the likes as yourself who have no options whatsoever'. If they can get a high percentage of everyone at home then the self employed package will have done it's job.

Hand pick your customers and cover your expenses and the pressure will be off. But you know the score I'm sure Dan. 

Im Trad and it has far more risks to it than WFP agreed with the virus .

But to anyone who thinks WFP is safe here is a list of possibles .

1. Dragging hose on floor this is making contact with a floor .Have we all seen people clearing there noses straight on to the floor and spitting on the floor absolutely disgusting habit . Do I need to explain anymore .

2. Stumbling and putting your handout to steady yourself and touch a contact point .

3. Breathing while infected near upvc 

4. Ringing doorbells 

5. Moving bins and any obstacles that are in your way ( plz don't tell me you don't ) 

6. Opening the gates.

7.Wearing the same gloves constantly even though you don't touch your face and you don't become infected , if your gloves have picked it up everything you touch after will get it . It LIVES for 3 days on HARD PLASTIC remember this .

8.You constantly wind your hose back at the same contact point with infected gloves .

It goes on and on and on 

STAY AT HOME !! 

Honest to god I have what I call a sheep dip bucket in our porch that contains fairy liquid and bleach everytime I come in I wash my hands and take my shoes off and rub the door handle over . I now even walk the dog in the local forest and not round the local park where there are more people spitting on the floor . While I can get away with travelling there . So much conflicting advice its far safer to go to local forest than walk her round the block because of what I have said earlier .

The above list is what makes Nicola jimmy kranky sturgeon look like a complete idiot and the bloke that's pushing a pen and sat in a tie that's advised her a total **** .
This advise is the sanest and down right truth enriched I have read, may you all take heed?

And this is the problem for the government hence the grey area. They've tried to cover most bases but some like yourself will slip through the net. The message is undoubtedly stay at home and reduce the odds. I'm reading the grey area and ambiguity as 'we'll turn a blind eye to the likes as yourself who have no options whatsoever'. If they can get a high percentage of everyone at home then the self employed package will have done it's job.

Hand pick your customers and cover your expenses and the pressure will be off. But you know the score I'm sure Dan. 
This Is why what they have done is fundamentally wrong .

The point is to defeat the virus at any cost . 

The only way of doing this is to get EVERYONE to stay at home . The only thing that is making people go out is money .

What they should have done is like trump has done yes that man trump  and give a blanket cheque out of a certain amount to EVERYONE . Some will be winners some will be losers ……….but does that really matter in the grand scheme of things when you watch the videos of people losing their loved ones and nhs workers clearly worn down to sobbing on camera to make a point .

I am sure this will upset a few and this is not aimed at anyone in general or on here.I appreciate that some are new to this or the main income provider for their house or they may have been off ill and generally struggling and I feel for them.

But the  amount of so called big hitters and braggers, the £300-450 a day bunch that are struggling after 4 days and trying to justify going to a work is a joke.

I am full commercial it has hit my business like a train.

The amount of uk window cleaners even near me who are reposting videos of Nicola Sturgeon saying they can work are the exact same ones who would cry and be up in arms if a window cleaning licence was introduced down here like they have in Scotland.

You can not break the chain of a virus if you don't isolate and keep yourself away from it, it's as simple as that.Until a vaccine is found isolating and minimising contact is the only thing to slow it down.China had a complete total lock down and it took them 3-4 months.We are a very long way from ending this here.

The government aren't going to be giving money away for nothing for us to sit at home. Once this is all over the chancellor has already said they want it back so a tax increase will be very likely for the self employed.

Take care.
Do you know any windies who have been laid off in commercial, like I said before take people's earnings with a pinch of salt

I am sure this will upset a few and this is not aimed at anyone in general or on here.I appreciate that some are new to this or the main income provider for their house or they may have been off ill and generally struggling and I feel for them.

But the  amount of so called big hitters and braggers, the £300-450 a day bunch that are struggling after 4 days and trying to justify going to a work is a joke.

I am full commercial it has hit my business like a train.

The amount of uk window cleaners even near me who are reposting videos of Nicola Sturgeon saying they can work are the exact same ones who would cry and be up in arms if a window cleaning licence was introduced down here like they have in Scotland.

You can not break the chain of a virus if you don't isolate and keep yourself away from it, it's as simple as that.Until a vaccine is found isolating and minimising contact is the only thing to slow it down.China had a complete total lock down and it took them 3-4 months.We are a very long way from ending this here.

The government aren't going to be giving money away for nothing for us to sit at home. Once this is all over the chancellor has already said they want it back so a tax increase will be very likely for the self employed.

Take care.
The Nicola Sturgeon video is out of date already. She made it clear in her most recent speech regarding essential workers only. Her Westminster spokesman Ian Blackford saying in Prime Ministers questions that it's essential workers only. Boris Johnson agreed with him which shows how strange the world has become!  But it also throws out the mixed messages that are confusing everyone.

I don't know, I am not a scientist, all I know is that this virus has a propensity to spread like wildfire and I am taking it seriously enough to keep away from my customers until the government says otherwise, there is no need for any of us to be putting other peoples at risk now Rishi has made a financial safety net for us, no need whatsoever.
True, the whole point of this isolation is to stop the spread. How many of us Window Cleaners are there in the UK 10,000, 50,000, 100,000.

If say 10,000 that is 10,000 on the streets visiting what an average of 15 properties or more a day, travelling between these properties working  5 days a week. Huge risk saying no percentage of us are not carrying the virus and we are visiting some 750.000 properties a week if 10,000 of us are working. That will not stop the virus spreading, and what if there is 50,000 of us working!!!!

So here goes....... I've been following the thread like everyone naturally worried about my income and my business. I am hopefuly unless the government throw a curveball one of the 95% that will get the payment in June. 

I have read all the arguing/exchanges/heated discussions whatever you wnat to call it on here on shall I work shall I not. At the risk of upsetting some for the record I wont mention names but I find it funny that some members that have the bulshy attitude of having to keep working to survive are the same ones that have in previous posts over the years claimed they earn so much every day that surely the government saying even if u sit at home we will give you 80% of your pay could afford to do that! Or maybe all the bull sh$!testers realise at times like this that made up money wont pay the Bill's! Indeed most of us have already learnt full money for a big chunk of march already and can now defer tax due in July to next January.

I do feel very sorry for those who have just started or fall outside the eligibility and understand a determination to keep working but please do anything other than work.

I say this because I have a neighbour who has family who live in spain who we are apparently 2-3 weeks behind. They have told him how the sport centres in towns have been turned into morgues to cope with the bodies. Warehouses that the Spanish are calling warehouses of death as so many that go into these make shift hospitals dont come out alive. As one of my customers who is an A&E nurse told me last week this country has no idea what's going to hit it by mid june and she said do anything to avoid being out your house unless you must to protect your family. What is coming is truly horrific and she also added those who think it's going to just be the old or people with health problems is kidding themselves. For me there is no point in having a bit more money if I'm dead or a close loved one is.

And for the person who said going grocery shopping is more of a risk than window cleaning your probably right but what planet do you live on if you think window cleaning is essential? Grocery shopping when you absolutely have too is but dirty windows ain't .

Whether I agree or disagree with you all or have offended any of you sorry. But I hope you and your families stay safe and wish you luck in the coming months. Take care all

I tell you something I was beginning to think  I was virtually alone on here with the forum regulars but some recent posts have really made me feel great again …………...HOPE !!
Probably because of the way you were lecturing people. Working or not is a personal choice, not a moral choice, and no one should be criticised if they decide to work. There are people on here that are literally working hand to mouth and anyone that criticises them should really think hard before doing so.

I have always said anyone that leaves the safety of paid employment to go self employed has my utmost respect and unless they break the law or go against Government Guidance I won't criticise any decision they make.

I hope all those criticising people making legal choices has never broken the law, speeded, took cash in hand etc etc. If you have then you need to get off your high horses.

True, the whole point of this isolation is to stop the spread. How many of us Window Cleaners are there in the UK 10,000, 50,000, 100,000.

If say 10,000 that is 10,000 on the streets visiting what an average of 15 properties or more a day, travelling between these properties working  5 days a week. Huge risk saying no percentage of us are not carrying the virus and we are visiting some 750.000 properties a week if 10,000 of us are working. That will not stop the virus spreading, and what if there is 50,000 of us working!!!!
Judging by number of houses in UK and most having cleaners I'd say that your figures are miles too low.

So here goes....... I've been following the thread like everyone naturally worried about my income and my business. I am hopefuly unless the government throw a curveball one of the 95% that will get the payment in June. 

I have read all the arguing/exchanges/heated discussions whatever you wnat to call it on here on shall I work shall I not. At the risk of upsetting some for the record I wont mention names but I find it funny that some members that have the bulshy attitude of having to keep working to survive are the same ones that have in previous posts over the years claimed they earn so much every day that surely the government saying even if u sit at home we will give you 80% of your pay could afford to do that! Or maybe all the bull sh$!testers realise at times like this that made up money wont pay the Bill's! Indeed most of us have already learnt full money for a big chunk of march already and can now defer tax due in July to next January.

I do feel very sorry for those who have just started or fall outside the eligibility and understand a determination to keep working but please do anything other than work.

I say this because I have a neighbour who has family who live in spain who we are apparently 2-3 weeks behind. They have told him how the sport centres in towns have been turned into morgues to cope with the bodies. Warehouses that the Spanish are calling warehouses of death as so many that go into these make shift hospitals dont come out alive. As one of my customers who is an A&E nurse told me last week this country has no idea what's going to hit it by mid june and she said do anything to avoid being out your house unless you must to protect your family. What is coming is truly horrific and she also added those who think it's going to just be the old or people with health problems is kidding themselves. For me there is no point in having a bit more money if I'm dead or a close loved one is.

And for the person who said going grocery shopping is more of a risk than window cleaning your probably right but what planet do you live on if you think window cleaning is essential? Grocery shopping when you absolutely have too is but dirty windows ain't .

Whether I agree or disagree with you all or have offended any of you sorry. But I hope you and your families stay safe and wish you luck in the coming months. Take care all
BRAVO  at last some decent common sense on here their aint many of us !!

You don't get it like many on here. 

Some are NOT in the position to survive until june without working.. if they have to go to work then that is that.

How else does someone in that position feed their family. 

Ideally we all should stay home but some can't. 

The only way of doing this is to get EVERYONE to stay at home . The only thing that is making people go out is money .

What they should have done is like trump has done yes that man trump  and give a blanket cheque out of a certain amount to EVERYONE . Some will be winners some will be losers ……….but does that really matter in the grand scheme of things when you watch the videos of people losing their loved ones and nhs workers clearly worn down to sobbing on camera to make a point .
I agree wholeheartedly. Instead of making ones like Dan and many more have to make this decision they should have covered every base. I wouldn't be surprised if we have another revision soon. 

Do you know any windies who have been laid off in commercial, like I said before take people's earnings with a pinch of salt
Yes most I know have mostly stopped.Most of the national companies have stoped.Some that are general cleaning firms are doing deep cleans,sanatizing etc but not windows.

All of mine have stopped.

Probably because of the way you were lecturing people. Working or not is a personal choice, not a moral choice, and no one should be criticised if they decide to work. There are people on here that are literally working hand to mouth and anyone that criticises them should really think hard before doing so.

I have always said anyone that leaves the safety of paid employment to go self employed has my utmost respect and unless they break the law or go against Government Guidance I won't criticise any decision they make.

I hope all those criticising people making legal choices has never broken the law, speeded, took cash in hand etc etc. If you have then you need to get off your high horses.
Im sorry but on this there is no excuse for everyone has an opinion part timer ……….yes they do but go and tell that to the copper that's going to stop you from going down the street for the wrong reason according to you "everyone has a right to an opinion" .

The point where everyone has a right to an opinion becomes morally wrong is when people have an opinion that are killing other people either intentionally or unintentionally .I think you will find in situations like this people have to get through to others that what they are doing is morally WRONG . This is when countries go to war etc etc its usually over morals and humanity issues, a bit dramatic I know but the point is the same .

And on a personal note I don't shout actually I use caps to underline serious points as I feel some people miss them but I do agree caps is looked at as shouting .

And on another point you told me to " PIPEDOWN " and others on here liked your post . Just because you have been around along time on this forum and I have but don't post much ….you get backed up by all your regular mates ………...IT DOESNT MAKE YOU RIGHT OR THE MOD RIGHT ( SORRY SHOUTING AGAIN ) .

And whats nice is looking at more recent posts the tide is turning to prove I was morally right on my statements and its nice to know im not on my own as I was beginning to lose all hope .

They're not trying to defeat the virus, they are trying to reduce the spike so everyone doesn't get it simultaneously which would overrun the capacity of the funeral directors, mortuaries, NHS etc.

There is zero chance that the country will remain locked down until a vaccine is available.

You don't get it like many on here. 

Some are NOT in the position to survive until june without working.. if they have to go to work then that is that.

How else does someone in that position feed their family. 

Ideally we all should stay home but some can't. 
@Dave B  problem is Dave is there are going to sadly be many who dont survive till June because of this virus not financially but stay alive. I would urge anyone who really cant eat till June to ask families friends etc for help before risking lives working. That's all I'm doing urging people to do anything possible to be safe. I know we disagree on this but these are highly charged emotional times we live in and I dont believe for a second that all the window cleaners going out to work couldnt eat till June without working. Some maybe but a small ammount! Also Dave unless I'm mistaken is that people who have savings less than 16000 or no other income from a spouse can get an almost instant universal credit or income support payment? 

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope all those criticising people making legal choices has never broken the law, speeded, took cash in hand etc etc. If you have then you need to get off your high horses
Well said, that's just about everyone

Back