Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best position for tank

WCF

Help Support WCF:

francie

I only have a 250 litre tank,an my transit connect payload is 900kg so probably doesnt matter were i put it,but be interested to hear were yous lads put your tanks,i know alot of yous have bigger tanks just wondering weres you put them to spread the load?
Bulkhead
In the middle
Over the back axle

I only have a 250 litre tank,an my transit connect payload is 900kg so probably doesnt matter were i put it,but be interested to hear were yous lads put your tanks,i know alot of yous have bigger tanks just wondering weres you put them to spread the load?
Bulkhead
In the middle
Over the back axle

You put it where you can secure it safely with a tank frame, high tensile nuts and bolts with spreader plates underneath, preferably through the chassis.

We keep harping on how about how important this is, but some window cleaners ignore the advice. Just last year we had a local window cleaner die in an accident as his tank wasn't properly secured. He was crushed against his steering wheel. Having a loose tank you can take out easily is a recipe for disaster in an accident.

An accident can be caused by some other crack head on the road, and you can't totally rely on your own driving skills and abilities.

Sorry if I sound rude and offensive, but it involves your life and that's very important, especially to those nearest and dearest to you.

Bulkhead
In the middle
Over the back axle
I put mine as close to the partitionwall as possible! You will regret it, if that thing gets in motion during a collision, no matter the size.

A small 250 litre flat tank can fit any where in a 900kg payload car derived van.
It's when you start with a 400 or 500l upright tank that you have to start considering individual axle payload limits.

Common sense (and a little physics) says get it as close the the centre of the wheelbase as possible, both longitudinally and laterally, that will make it as stable as it can be and cause the least affect to the handling of the vehicle.
As above though, it does need to be secured properly as you don't want it breaking loose in the event of an accident. A 250l tank that is full weighs in at 1/4 tonne, nobody needs that belting them around the head or pinning them to the dashboard. It really doesn't matter how little distance you cover, an accident is always possible.

Common sense (and a little physics) says get it as close the the centre of the wheelbase as possible, both longitudinally and laterally, that will make it as stable as it can be and cause the least affect to the handling of the vehicle.
As above though, it does need to be secured properly as you don't want it breaking loose in the event of an accident. A 250l tank that is full weighs in at 1/4 tonne, nobody needs that belting them around the head or pinning them to the dashboard. It really doesn't matter how little distance you cover, an accident is always possible.

I've had 3 psa Citroen/peugeot swb vans with a 650l upright tank. I can't fit my tank across the front bulkhead as the front axle is overloaded by a lot.

It can only be fitted length ways to spread the weight towards the back.
My current Boxer swb is a 333. I fitted the tank width ways just in front of the rear axle. This gives me a useable space behind the bulkhead as well as one Infront of the rear doors for hose reels. On my van my rear axle payload is 950 kgs.

I've also been able to bolt my tank frame through the chassis cross member with the tank positioned where it is.

A fellow window cleaner with a citroen relay van needed a new power steering rack as he ignored advice not to put his tank across the front bulkhead. He has sold his van now too another cleaner who to will have problems unless he moves the tank.

You put it where you can secure it safely with a tank frame, high tensile nuts and bolts with spreader plates underneath, preferably through the chassis.

We keep harping on how about how important this is, but some window cleaners ignore the advice. Just last year we had a local window cleaner die in an accident as his tank wasn't properly secured. He was crushed against his steering wheel. Having a loose tank you can take out easily is a recipe for disaster in an accident.

An accident can be caused by some other crack head on the road, and you can't totally rely on your own driving skills and abilities.

Sorry if I sound rude and offensive, but it involves your life and that's very important, especially to those nearest and dearest to you.
100% I was driving down the road minding my own business just before Xmas & got ploughed into by some old bint 4x over the limit & already on a 2nd ban for drink driving so uninsured ? no matter how good you drive it’s the others

Your 100% percent correct lads i should have it bolted down,no excuses,tho in my defence lol im literally driving less than 500metres to do my work an no main roads,my work is very compact its all in my small neighborhood,an i take the tank out everyday when im finished.
its got me thinking about these big tanks say 500litres bolted in correctly,do they hold in the event of a crash?
I was thinking of putting my tank back into my small trailer but would it be the same effect is an acceident occured,suppose the tank wont fly in an hit me in front but could it launch out of trailer?
Thanks for the replys lads

Slightly off on a tangent but thought I'd share what Autonet Insurance have added to my renewal documents.

I'd already decided to not renew as £110 more for the pleasure and fancied trying Alexander Swan this year. Reading this whilst giving the documents a cursory glance made me take note.

They knew last year I was a window cleaner with removable tank in the back. ?

This is with Ageas as underwriters. She said when I cancelled renewal would I like a price match/bettering but I said no thanks. If they can't offer it to you first up I'll take my custom elsewhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205-223423.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205-223423.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 22
Slightly off on a tangent but thought I'd share what Autonet Insurance have added to my renewal documents.

I'd already decided to not renew as £110 more for the pleasure and fancied trying Alexander Swan this year. Reading this whilst giving the documents a cursory glance made me take note.

They knew last year I was a window cleaner with removable tank in the back. ?

This is with Ageas as underwriters. She said when I cancelled renewal would I like a price match/bettering but I said no thanks. If they can't offer it to you first up I'll take my custom elsewhere.

Thanks. I had better check mine in more detail. Our property insurance sneakily added a clause in a few years ago that they no longer insured homes with flat roofs. That included dormers. But they left it for us to read the small print.

Back