Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Detailing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CNS-southwest

Is getting really anoying and leaving a mark the next day round the window edge /emoticons/wacko.png also the scrim is leaving bits on the window, its been washed a fair few times /emoticons/sad.png

I have never heard of scrims leaving fluff. But the unwashed ones are terrible, and take months before they really soften. Always buy the pre-washed ones, they are a huge difference. I also cut mine down, into quarters then re-hem them. That way its less likely that another wet part of the cloth with scuff the window, as you detail. But that I mean, make sure as you wipe around the edges, the tail end of the cloth that hangs down, doesn't contact the glass. As there will inevitably be wet areas as you use it more which will leave marks.

Dog ear your squeegee fella. Ive done all mine and now I dont have to do any detailing like 99% of the time..

The cloth never touched the window /emoticons/wacko.png

I need to check if it was a pre washed one or not, it's not so much fluff, more like small prices of thread??

Dog ear is something I defo need to do.... Also need to get a proper wagtail or vice versa as mine is a pig lol

press harder and move slower with your finger when detailing, its not just a case of gently wiping round the edges, you have to dry the edge with out it bleeding back onto the glass, also the scrim has to be completely dry or it wont detail as it should

My old scrimm was leaving a few fluff on the windows. I buy pre-washed grade A and have found that after a few months they leave a little fluff. I dont know if its from getting old but thats what my Trad mate said....

I found if you are using to much soap it will leave a film that you cant see but scrim fluff will stick to it. Try using a little less soap. tumble dry them as well as will blow off, As for detailing, new scrims are a sod to to break in. Make sure its super dry and press against the gasket not the glass, will stop any runs and will dry the glass at the same time.

I leave about a 5mm gap when I use the applicator all round the window & drag the squeegee over the dry edges from the middle. Hardly leaves anything. Tried the dogearingt but diddnt work for me. This does. Mine are also cut into quarters as find it easier.

i think some guys ten to put too much water on the glass end up with loads sat in the rubbers then get runs and wets yer detailing cloth up twice as fast i like a nice soapy windows but not dripping

Just to be a little controversial here, /emoticons/biggrin.png I have a theory that tumble drying is what makes scrim leave lint on the window, I think that it damages the fibres.

(dons hard hat and heads for the nearest anderson shelter) /emoticons/biggrin.png

(dons hard hat and heads for the nearest anderson shelter) /emoticons/biggrin.png
LOL, to be honest you have to damage the fibres, or they are too course and don't form to the shape of the gasket etc. Tumble drying blows the loose dust like fibres off

Gm - great bit of advise, ill have another crack going a slower and pushing harder (that what she say, ta dum)
That's funny man! Dare I ask what dog-earing is?!

Back