Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dead ended but still trying to pump

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Purejb

Just wondering if the pump should try to pump at all when it is dead ended? I have shurflo pump and v16 controller, checked my for and set to 75, auto calibrated and it came up with C51. It does work, but every maybe 10-15 seconds I can hear the pump trying to work, albeit with less force than when the univalve is open. So, should it be doing that?

Thanks!

Just wondering if the pump should try to pump at all when it is dead ended? I have shurflo pump and v16 controller, checked my for and set to 75, auto calibrated and it came up with C51. It does work, but every maybe 10-15 seconds I can hear the pump trying to work, albeit with less force than when the univalve is open. So, should it be doing that?

Thanks!
Yes mate, that’s perfectly normal ?

Hope you are ok PJJ, this question has been on here nearly half an hour! ?

A manual pressure switch will cut the motor completely. The V16 is an electronic pressure switch, so it needs to test if the pressure in the line has dropped. It does this every 3 to 4 seconds on our controllers.
Spring Europe have a very good faq on their website. This question is very well answered on there @Purejb

Here is an extract from an article Ian Sheppard wrote a few years ago:

So why calibrate the controller to a pump?

What we are doing is telling the control what the maximum pressure the system normally operates at. To get a good flow at the brush head the system is probably running between 40 - 70 PSI. So the control knows that the normal max level is 70 PSI. When a user stops the water flow the pump will attempt to push against the restriction increasing the pressure above 70 PSI the pump sees this sudden rise and stops the pump. This is what we refer to as DEAD END (DE).

During this DE (flow stopped period) the controller periodically retests the pressure at the pump. When the restriction is removed the pressure falls back below the 70PSI maximum and the controller restarts the pump at the preset flow. Hence the need to use auto calibration with the pole attached with some hose off the reel. For an efficient two pole system I would recommend two pumps and controls or the new Dual control.

The control is designed to stop the pump before the pump pressure switch activates where the water flow has been stopped. A pump pressure switch may activate at 110PSI give or take (based on 100 PSI pump) as described earlier running the pump to these high levels can cause problems.

This thread may also be of interest to you. It's along the lines of what you were asking.

Great answer, I understand now, thanks very much. I did do some searching before I posted but obviously not enough! Apologies for that, but thanks for your patience.

Back