Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dispatch van tank laylout

WCF

Help Support WCF:

marlowswindows

I've got a 2013 plate citroen dispatch the payload is 1185kg.

I run a 250l baffled tank.

It's currently sat behind my seats *layflat*

Due to lack of space I'm wanting to move the tank to the back doors of the vanand turn it on its side.

Does anybody run same van with tank at back? Any issues?

Would 250l tank sat on back of the van badly damage in time?

Where the tank currently is you dint even know youve got it van drives great. But not looking to invest in a van just yet until remortage time next year and then I will probably lease something so just trying to make a better working space for new tools to fit in.

The chassis plate under bonnet should tell you max axle loading but you need to take it to a weighbridge to check empty axle loads. It's not just about damage it's also handling and braking, not to mention legal and insurance issues if you get pulled.
That said, I would guess a 250lts tank over the rear axle should be fine with a payload of 1185kg.

The chassis plate under bonnet should tell you max axle loading but you need to take it to a weighbridge to check empty axle loads. It's not just about damage it's also handling and braking, not to mention legal and insurance issues if you get pulled.
That said, I would guess a 250lts tank over the rear axle should be fine with a payload of 1185kg.
Will go on a hunt for the plate tomorrow thank you

Due to lack of space I'm wanting to move the tank to the back doors of the vanand turn it on its side.

Where the tank currently is you dint even know youve got it van drives great. But not looking to invest in a van just yet until remortage time next year and then I will probably lease something so just trying to make a better working space for new tools to fit in.

I'm not sure I would advise to turn it on it's side.

How would you fill it? If you continued to use the filler then you would reduce the amount of water you carry.
Some filler lids have air vents in them which will leak on the move as the water sloshes about.

How are you planning to secure it as the tank I guess would have a smaller footprint than the equivalent upright tank?

I'm guessing your plan would be to put it on one side of the van. If so then even 250kgs would create an imbalance.

At one time one of the manufacturers made upright tanks that fitted over the rear wheel aches, but securing them safely was an issue.

My suggestion would be to buy an upright tank and frame and fit it across the bulkhead if this doesn't overload the front axle.

I put up a formula for calculating payload distribution on the forum a number of years ago.

Here is the post where I put the formula up on

What I'm going to add: moving the tank towards the rear of the van will affect the front drive axle, even if marginally with a 250 litre tank.

With my 04 plate Citroën Relay swb, I positioned my 650 litre tank length ways in the back. It was the best way for weight distribution. The downside was that with a full steel bulkhead, the space behind the driver's seat was dead space.

So when I purchased my current van (Peugeot Boxer 333) I opted to turn the tank width ways and move it further back. This allowed me to have 2 separate storage areas, one in front of the tank and one behind for the hose reels. The tank is positioned just a hair in front of the rear axle. So the rear axle takes the vast majority of the weight of the tank, with the small remainder on the front axle. (I can load the rear axle with 950kgs to remain legal). This also allowed me to secure the back of the tank frame (the rear door's side), though a cross member of the van's 'chassis'.

My experience is that even with my van being total legal, I do notice a traction problem with the front drive wheels if pulling out into a gap in the traffic in a hurry. It's much easier to spin the front wheels. We also have issues trying to get up a customer's steep driveway in Autumn and Winter, which I didn't have with my previous van.

For my Boxer, the ideal layout for optimum weight distribution is for the tank to be mounted lengthways, as I did it with my Relay van.

For me, the most ideal configuration would be for the tank to be width ways across the front bulkhead, but I would totally overload the front axle if I did this. However, if you had an older Vauxhall Vivaro/Renault Traffic 2900 swb, you could do this as the centre of the tank would be nearly in the middle between the front and rear axles.

my 500ltr Upright tank is secured resting on bulkhead via Ratchet straps, Heavy Duty . Easy to park on Driveway, open drivers side door to fill tank.

I have a 350 tank sat on the back axle area. It’s a dispatch. I have problems on hills - and if you have driveways on a steep gradient be carful - with a full tank on the back axle I wheel spin. But that’s with a 350 and on steep gradients.

I have a 350 tank sat on the back axle area. It’s a dispatch. I have problems on hills - and if you have driveways on a steep gradient be carful - with a full tank on the back axle I wheel spin. But that’s with a 350 and on steep gradients.
Perfect thanks for that

Back