Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Finally! A Decking Stripper That Works

WCF

Help Support WCF:

K in Kent

Vendor
I was starting to think that I might have to give up trying to find a paint stripper that effectively removes stain from wooden decking.
I've spent a small fortune on Ronseal's and it definitely does not do what it says on the tin. Doesn't even come close. I've tried various other branded and own brand products, e.g. Nitromors, No Nonsense, B & Q etc. They might be OK if given a longer dwell time but none of them are of any use to make deck renovation/ refurbishment jobs profitable and done in a timely manner. - all too expensive, too slow and ineffective.
I've lost money a nymber of times from having to buy extra stripper or needing an additional day to strip a deck.

So recently I've been sanding them but this is far from ideal and also slow and tedious. But there was 1 more product I wanted to try and did so yesterday - Barrettine Paint Panther.

I started with a test patch and will attach a pic of it. This had 1 coat left for about 20 mins, another coat and 20 mins later I scraped it. It actually worked! I'd bought a 2.5 litre tin in Toolstation for about £35 and needed another 2 litres I got at a local DIY shop ( 2 x 1 litre , £22.99 each ). I will also add a before pic of the overall deck to give you an idea of size.

Of course it's still not a cheap way of doing things and these costs need to be passed on to the customer and as you'd expect some patches came out better than others. But all in all it did the job and thought it was worth a mention on the forum as deck stripping does get discussed now and then. I'll definitely be using this stuff again and allowing for plenty of it in my quote.

IMG20230518121037(1).jpg

IMG20230518141116.jpg

I was starting to think that I might have to give up trying to find a paint stripper that effectively removes stain from wooden decking.
I've spent a small fortune on Ronseal's and it definitely does not do what it says on the tin. Doesn't even come close. I've tried various other branded and own brand products, e.g. Nitromors, No Nonsense, B & Q etc. They might be OK if given a longer dwell time but none of them are of any use to make deck renovation/ refurbishment jobs profitable and done in a timely manner. - all too expensive, too slow and ineffective.
I've lost money a nymber of times from having to buy extra stripper or needing an additional day to strip a deck.

So recently I've been sanding them but this is far from ideal and also slow and tedious. But there was 1 more product I wanted to try and did so yesterday - Barrettine Paint Panther.

I started with a test patch and will attach a pic of it. This had 1 coat left for about 20 mins, another coat and 20 mins later I scraped it. It actually worked! I'd bought a 2.5 litre tin in Toolstation for about £35 and needed another 2 litres I got at a local DIY shop ( 2 x 1 litre , £22.99 each ). I will also add a before pic of the overall deck to give you an idea of size.

Of course it's still not a cheap way of doing things and these costs need to be passed on to the customer and as you'd expect some patches came out better than others. But all in all it did the job and thought it was worth a mention on the forum as deck stripping does get discussed now and then. I'll definitely be using this stuff again and allowing for plenty of it in my quote.

View attachment 28674

View attachment 28675
Looking at that I recon the cost to do that would be more than the cost to replace the decking ????

rather you than me mate, there's no way in the world I'd be touching decking especially stripping it! Crazy man lol

You're right mate - it is a serious PITA!! But was also a very good earner to make up for it.
Every time I do one I find myself thinking 'this is my last deck!' It took me all day Thursday and then 2 or 3 hours this morning to stain it. I don't want to start spouting off about numbers but I was very happy with what I walked away with.
A decent belt sander with coarse grit also helps and the compensation makes up for the hard work. I quote pretty high and if they are willing to pay then fine I'll do it. If not I walk away

I would have hired an edging sander and used 25 or 40 grit sandpaper. I did my Junkers floor which is Beech & Maple so a softwood decking would be easy. Not sure about the grooves though. I might replace my decking with the Grey composite stuff when I have money to burn.

I used 40 grit sanding belts and also used some Flexovit yellow sanding roll for a sheet sander that is supposed to be " trade quality high performance" and was absolitely useless.
Toolstation / Screwfix own brand stuff is better and a third of the price

I used 40 grit sanding belts and also used some Flexovit yellow sanding roll for a sheet sander that is supposed to be " trade quality high performance" and was absolitely useless.
Toolstation / Screwfix own brand stuff is better and a third of the price
Not being clever as I haven't a clue about this line of work but isn't there easier revenue streams

Not being clever as I haven't a clue about this line of work but isn't there easier revenue streams
Yeah you're right there are. There definitely are - give me an algae stained sandstone pat5io, or better still good old plain concrete slabs. They're easy money, pay fairly well and hypo does all the work. I can also be sure of what's involved and the effectiveness of the chemicals I'm using. Results are guaranteed and it's relatively easy wprk - and customers think you're a miracle worker when they see their patio transformed.....
but this job was worth best part of a grand for a day and a half's work - 1 day of frustration then an easy morning to finish it off. I consider that to be decent money and can put up with the agro for one day knowing I'm being well compensated - and it breaks the week up a bit. Change is as good as a rest and all that...

First time I have seen decking installed the correct way.
That’s a can of worms. There isn’t really a correct way as the grooved side has been favoured for so many years that’s it has become ‘correct’ and a lot of the cheaper DIY stuff is grooved both sides albeit in two different patterns. I’m with you though and prefer it the right (plain) side up. Always try and convince clients to do likewise but 90% of the time they want to see the grooves. That said my next two will be plain side up but they’re both for the same regular client who owns a number of rentals and just lets me do whatever I want. 😂. Mostly she never even sees the bathrooms kitchens and gardens that we’ve completed for her as she likes to keep her distance from the tenants and let the agent deal with them. Perfect client. 👍

However, and I know this is an older thread but no way in a million years am I stripping one.

I find the grooved side is a bit more grippy, well more grippy than on a job that has theirs plain side up and painted with black gloss paint 🙄

I find the grooved side is a bit more grippy, well more grippy than on a job that has theirs plain side up and painted with black gloss paint 🙄
I flatly refuse to paint the ones we build. If they absolutely insist I’ll stain it but warn them it’s an expensive annual upkeep job if they want it to stay looking that way.

I flatly refuse to paint the ones we build. If they absolutely insist I’ll stain it but warn them it’s an expensive annual upkeep job if they want it to stay looking that way.
Decking is definitely a lot more maintenance than most realise same as wooden outbuildings people just don't do the needed maintenance, I have spent almost 9 hours doing our summer house inside and out and still ain't finished.

Decking is definitely a lot more maintenance than most realise same as wooden outbuildings people just don't do the needed maintenance, I have spent almost 9 hours doing our summer house inside and out and still ain't finished.
Get a pain sprayer like this High-volume low-pressure pain sprayer We have a white bungalow and it needs spraying every few years, I hate doing it as it's roughcast and previously I had to use a brush and sort of stipple it on, takes hours.
I bought the above sprayer, added about 20% water to SANDTEX ULTRA SMOOTH PURE BRILLIANT WHITE MASONRY PAINT, after masking windows, doors etc and picking a wind free day I did the whole bungalow in 1 day.
So much easier with the hvlp sprayer, it can do wood preservative too.

Get a pain sprayer like this High-volume low-pressure pain sprayer We have a white bungalow and it needs spraying every few years, I hate doing it as it's roughcast and previously I had to use a brush and sort of stipple it on, takes hours.
I bought the above sprayer, added about 20% water to SANDTEX ULTRA SMOOTH PURE BRILLIANT WHITE MASONRY PAINT, after masking windows, doors etc and picking a wind free day I did the whole bungalow in 1 day.
It's been quite windy so not a hope I'd use one without painting myself and my house :ROFLMAO:

It would have helped though as it's made out of 26mm planks got it 2nd hand from a mate, thankfully he re-built it for me, but it was well overdue even though he had done it just 4 years ago when they'd bought it new

Decking is definitely a lot more maintenance than most realise same as wooden outbuildings people just don't do the needed maintenance, I have spent almost 9 hours doing our summer house inside and out and still a

Worth every penny that sprayer. I have one. Bought it when they were even more ridiculously cheap at less than £50. Brilliant for fence panels.

Mine was about £60 in a 'sale' if I remember. I haven't tried it on fence panels but will once we have better weather.

If it’s water based water it down well and get used to cleaning the gun. The waxy stuff in most of the fence treatments slowly blocks the nozzle. Not a big deal. Only takes a couple of minutes but worth having a practice with a clean dry one before you start.

Latest Posts

Back