Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Clean taking me around 1 hour?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

Hi all,

I'm really new to window cleaning (did my first customer on Sunday). I waited until my van was up and running before advertising, and managed to get 18 regular customers signed up with GoCardless within the first couple of days, but I'm having the problem that every customer hasn't had their windows cleaned in like 10+ years, and every sill, frame and door really shows it. I'm using wfp, but having to use pink stuff and scrub until I cant feel my arms anymore to get the **** off lol. Am I doing too much or am I just doing it wrong?

I'm doing this along side my main job, at the minute, and I always work outside on price work so by no means am I slow or mess around whilst working. I seem to be absolutely nonstop but cant get my time down at all.

I've put a couple of pics below of what pretty much every single window and door has looked like so far other than 1 customer...

Any advice is appreciated!

09A47F43-B741-4D2A-A405-C6C618757809.jpegFB64EF70-1556-417E-91B7-BEC94ABF8114.jpeg421A3E28-70A0-41E9-93A6-7B02DFB75BD7.jpeg

As long as you're charging them a first clean charge then you're doing a good job. Speed comes with practice so don't expect to be doing 3 or 4 houses an hour in your first year, especially 1st cleans.
If you're not charging extra then you should try to, the most important thing for you to do though is get customers.
I've been charging the same as a regular clean just so I can get them as a regular. I've had a few one off's ask for quotes and when I've quoted them higher than the monthly price they seem disgusted that I've asked haha.

I've had 18 customers with most through leaflets (posted around 1000, got 9000 left) so along with Facebook I'm hoping to build it up as quick as possible lol.

I've been charging the same as a regular clean just so I can get them as a regular. I've had a few one off's ask for quotes and when I've quoted them higher than the monthly price they seem disgusted that I've asked haha.

I've had 18 customers with most through leaflets (posted around 1000, got 9000 left) so along with Facebook I'm hoping to build it up as quick as possible lol.
In my eyes if they don't want to pay extra then I wouldn't be getting the pink stuff out. You will need to tell them that is a restoration clean but for a standard charge you'll get everything as clean as possible. I'll admit it takes a brave man to do it when looking for work though

You have a choice when quoting for badly maintained windows. You either quote an additional fee for a first clean or you manage customer expectations on how clean a 'standard' clean will get their windows. Alternatively as you are not very busy (OK so you do have your 'day job' and need time to leaflet) then just do what you have been doing. I use the pink stuff on one of the kitchen sponges with the green scourer on the back.

As for timing it's amazing what experience helps to your speed. I've only been going just under 2 years and my speed has increased massively, while still maintaining quality. There are so many little things that improve your timings it's difficult to actually put my finger on one thing. It's lots of little things, from where you route your hose, extending your pole just the right amount, the brush being at the correct angle, where you stand for each window, the order in which window you clean before the next so a top one has stopped dripping so you can clean the one below, the correct flow to rinse well and quickly, it all adds up.

Speed will come, sometimes without really thinking about it. Just concentrate on doing a great job and charging a decent rate. Work that used to take me 4 hrs now takes me less than 2!

18 customers from 1000 leaflets is a good result. In my opinion customers who come from leaflets tend to not be impulse purchasers and go on to be regular customers.

One thing I would say, from your picy the area you are working in may not be ideal (old mattress in garden), but you could have hit on an area that other windys aren't targeting, so as long as you get decent prices and they customers pay crack on. A lot of windys target new estates as they can get very compact work and do lots of houses in short periods of time. In some areas that means the new build estate prices are very low and unless you can get lots and are able to whiz through them it might not be worth it.
Don't stick to 1 demographic type of houses, spread your leafletting in different areas and see what works best for you - but try not to travel too far as any time you are driving is time you are not earning.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

I reckon its better to charge a first clean price as some customers out there will get theres cleaned and not bother after that ie will fob you of with excuses like "oh we have decided my husband will continue cleaning them" or "moneys a bit tight at the moment so we are tightening our belts". So I think it`s better to charge a higher price on the first clean. That`s from my own experiance any way.

Spray the whole lot with screwfix no nonsense degreaser or if you’re brave 1% bleach mix and scrub the whole frame, window etc in 1 go
Go back after a couple other windows and rinse the glass only
Job done

Hi all,

I'm really new to window cleaning (did my first customer on Sunday). I waited until my van was up and running before advertising, and managed to get 18 regular customers signed up with GoCardless within the first couple of days, but I'm having the problem that every customer hasn't had their windows cleaned in like 10+ years, and every sill, frame and door really shows it. I'm using wfp, but having to use pink stuff and scrub until I cant feel my arms anymore to get the **** off lol. Am I doing too much or am I just doing it wrong?

I'm doing this along side my main job, at the minute, and I always work outside on price work so by no means am I slow or mess around whilst working. I seem to be absolutely nonstop but cant get my time down at all.

I've put a couple of pics below of what pretty much every single window and door has looked like so far other than 1 customer...

Any advice is appreciated!

View attachment 28444View attachment 28446View attachment 28445
It can sometimes take many years before a start-up business turns a profit. My advice is to take your time and do a good job. First cleans will always take much longer, even for those of us who have used wfp for many years. It's when you get to do the 2nd, 3rd and 4th cleans that you will get quicker as you have already done the 'groundwork.'

I'm a great believer in asking existing customers to recommend you to their close-by friends and family. The only way you will get those recommendations is by doing a good job. Remember, you are also gaining experience at your customer's expense, so don't get too stressed about the time it takes you initially.

I don't know how others feel, but with that mattress and other junk in the garden, I would definitely charge a much higher first clean price, as that junk is a red flag for me. I think this will be a one-off end of tenancy clean and I would treat it as such no matter what the customer says.

Last edited:
Spray the whole lot with screwfix no nonsense degreaser or if you’re brave 1% bleach mix and scrub the whole frame, window etc in 1 go
Go back after a couple other windows and rinse the glass only
Job done
Would you recommend a gardiner backpack for this?

It can sometimes take many years before a start-up business turns a profit. My advice is to take your time and do a good job. First cleans will always take much longer, even for those of us who have used wfp for many years. It's when you get to do the 2nd, 3rd and 4th cleans that you will get quicker as you have already done the 'groundwork.'

I'm a great believer in asking existing customers to recommend you to their close-by friends and family. The only way you will get those recommendations is by doing a good job. Remember, you are also gaining experience at your customer's expense, so don't get too stressed about the time it takes you initially.

I don't know how others feel, but with that mattress and other junk in the garden, I would definitely charge a much higher first clean price, as that junk is a red flag for me. I think this will be a one-off end of tenancy clean and I would treat it as such no matter what the customer says.
Thanks for that,

I don’t know if it’s the area I live or what but when my wife has told some of her friends and clients my prices they seem to think they’re outrageous and won’t book in because it’s ‘too much’, so I don’t even know how I’d ask for more for a first clean.

I charge £12 for a standard 3bed semi, so I don’t really think it’s that much.

Thanks for that,

I don’t know if it’s the area I live or what but when my wife has told some of her friends and clients my prices they seem to think they’re outrageous and won’t book in because it’s ‘too much’, so I don’t even know how I’d ask for more for a first clean.

I charge £12 for a standard 3bed semi, so I don’t really think it’s that much.
I don't know the area you live in but you might get better prices in a slightly better area maybe a few mins drive from you. I know it's difficult starting out but don't under value the job you are doing. If you start with low prices then it's hard to increase them.

I read probably every post on this forum before I started and made lots of notes, there is really some great info on here. That plus lots of youtube - stick to UK windy as other countries are different. Don't take their product reviews as gospel as most are given the products or sponsored by the companies but by watching you can see what technique they use and develop your own. i.e. I have a method that I use on all

You will read lots on here about established windys earning decent money. It will take time but you need to test different areas and start with high prices and if you don't get the jobs lower your prices a little. I aim to be getting 80% of my quotes.

If they aren't willing to pay extra for the first clean if it clearly needs it, then that doesn't bode well. They probably aren't the kind of customer you want anyway.
I charge double for first cleans which is good value in my opinion as it takes me 3 times longer than a maintenance clean. If I know that it is definitely a one off, I charge 3 times.
I occasionally on rare occasions waive it and just charge the standard rate if it's been cleaned well recently for instance or if I really want the job for some reason and I'm willing to take the chance.
Generally people want a regular service, but sometimes they want a one off and aren't up front about it. They want a deep clean after years of neglect for the standard monthly rate (end of tenancy cleans usually as others have said). Charging extra for first cleans is a good filter to avoid these customers that won't add any value to your business and if they're genuine customers, they will see the need for a deep clean anyway. I always explain that it's necessary to allow the system to work properly on subsequent cleans.
I also use a spray bottle with neat no nonsense degreaser and give the brush head a spray or two on each window. It needs a really thorough clean afterwards though and plenty of water to remove all traces of it though.
I wouldn't generally use pink stuff, upvc solvent etc to clean the frames tho as that falls under restoration which is OK if they've asked and quoted for properly but not usually expected.

What do you do about the upstairs windows? I’m trying to avoid ladders as much as possible but it seems like I can’t haha
Spray the bristles with the solution from the spray bottle with the water off, then if at the front of the house for example with 2-3 upper windows spray the window frames with water a quick scrub across the top of each window frame then back to 1st window another quick spray of water then nip the hose to stop water scrub the frame and glass then water on at the point it's drying up then clean the frames and glass and give a really thorough clean and rinse

First cleans are tougher/longer but it looks like your doing a great job.
When I was starting out with first clean after first clean I found I developed repetitive strain injuries that eventually went but remember feeling wrecked so just a heads up that once the initial grief of scrubbing hard on filthy homes it does get better, less strenuous and financially rewarding. My opinion you are at the toughest stage but one good summer can get you on track! Best of luck.

I don't know the area you live in but you might get better prices in a slightly better area maybe a few mins drive from you. I know it's difficult starting out but don't under value the job you are doing. If you start with low prices then it's hard to increase them.

I read probably every post on this forum before I started and made lots of notes, there is really some great info on here. That plus lots of youtube - stick to UK windy as other countries are different. Don't take their product reviews as gospel as most are given the products or sponsored by the companies but by watching you can see what technique they use and develop your own. i.e. I have a method that I use on all

You will read lots on here about established windys earning decent money. It will take time but you need to test different areas and start with high prices and if you don't get the jobs lower your prices a little. I aim to be getting 80% of my quotes.
I agree with this. I don't know the area this house is in, but I would class it as a very scruffy council area judging by the junk pile and comparing it to some areas in Middlesbrough.
Tbh I wouldn't even be quoting in this area. I'm surprised that you could even get £12 for a 3 bed semi.

I get it that when you first start you are desperate to get every job you can, but sometimes this is a double edged sword. You don't want a whole lot of dross customers who are unreliable, so you need to be very selective from the getgo. This isn't easy and takes discipline.

What you need to say is this when quoting:

"Your windows are very dirty and will need a lot of work to get them clean. The initial cost is £20 and then £12 every 4 weeks or £15 every 8 weeks. Which cleaning schedule would suit you best? 4 weekly or 8 weekly."
Say this without giving the customer time to interrupt.

If that's too much them it's a no and time to move on. Your time is better spent looking for a better class of customer than waiting time with dross. Sorry.

We have villages not far from us where most people still expect a window clean to cost £5 for a 3 bed semi. We don't even go there now.

Last edited:
One thing I would add to the great advice here is to allow the purified water to do its work. Give it time to soak into the frames and windows. Give all the windows an initial wash without being too bothered if all the dirt and algae, etc, is coming off. Then go back and give everything a second wash. You should find that the dirt will come off easier and you won't need to use chemicals, or not as much as you would have.

Latest Posts

Back