Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Freezing weather

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Using a gas boiler in the back of your van is very dangerous as I don't believe any of them are designed for use in a vehicle or intended for use multiple hours a day. There are many instances of them leaking gas and igniting causing fires. I bet if you asked your insurance company if you are covered when using an L5 Ecotemp boiler and gas bottle in the back of your van they would say no.

The diesel webasto heaters are designed to work in vehicles - not the way they are used in window cleaning but they are used for long duration heating in narrow boats. There are 'reputable' companies that sell hot water systems that should be ok with insurance companies but I appreciate they are a lot of money but how much would it cost you if your van blew up? The other thing to consider is if you employ anyone as then you could have much bigger problems that a destroyed van should something go wrong!
I've had one in the past throw a massive fire ball towards my face.luckily I was quick enough to get out of the way

In defence of the gas heaters (although I wouldn’t use one now) I had my fogwash gas heater for ten years without a single issue ?
Never really heard the exact reason why Peter stopped selling the Fogwash heater when he exhausted his stocks. That was a good heater. At 6 lpm, it suited our application.

I helped a local window cleaner fit an 8 lpm one in his van many years ago now. Included a roof vent as well. It worked great, but the regulator started to leak gas into the back of his van one day. Goodbye heater. Thankfully, disaster was avoided, but it could have been a different outcome.

Never really heard the exact reason why Peter stopped selling the Fogwash heater when he exhausted his stocks. That was a good heater. At 6 lpm, it suited our application.

I helped a local window cleaner fit an 8 lpm one in his van many years ago now. Included a roof vent as well. It worked great, but the regulator started to leak gas into the back of his van one day. Goodbye heater. Thankfully, disaster was avoided, but it could have been a different outcome.
I was under the impression it was to do with liability selling a product for something that it was never designed be used for and if it went wrong he could be held liable , both myself and a friend were looking at getting one each when he suddenly stoped selling them and that was what was said on the other forum at the time I believe .

They used to fit instant gas heaters to touring caravans so they would have been designed to be bounced round on the road but the manufacturers seemed to switch to hot water storage systems. These use gas and or electric to heat about 10lts of water in a storage tank.
I do wonder if that was a liability issue as even though caravan instant gas heaters where designed to be mobile they may have been failing if not serviced correctly.

100 percent, was about 10 years ago. Best option for me is immersion can choose if and when you want hot.
Not if someone doesn't have a drive to park on outside their home which is why I assume lads got the gas heaters before immersion elements came into use but vans I have seen with gas roof vents look ridiculous,

I might opt for an immersion element myself only because the small battery supplied with my Facelift compact system is just about managing a 6-7 hour day with an electric reel so not sure if the pump is having to work harder with cold water and drawing more amps.

Hi Joe I've had both the L5 and L10 ecotemps in the past many years ago until I had a gas leak in the back of my brand new van back in 2017 and had a small explosion.i took it out the same day and took it to the tip.
I've had a 9kw webasto diesel heater ever since.pricey but a million times better than a gas boiler....safer too.
Cheers Dazmond i’ll check the 9kw webasto out today thank you

Not if someone doesn't have a drive to park on outside their home which is why I assume lads got the gas heaters before immersion elements came into use but vans I have seen with gas roof vents look ridiculous,

I might opt for an immersion element myself only because the small battery supplied with my Facelift compact system is just about managing a 6-7 hour day with an electric reel so not sure if the pump is having to work harder with cold water and drawing more amps.
I agree. We fitted a Broan-Nutone 636 roof vent. It worked brilliantly. We removed the damper but left the screen in place. It was fractionally lower than his roof rack was, so didn't look out of place. I cut the roof plate smaller and weather proofed it using high temperature silicone sealer, bolting it to the roof with 4 small nuts and bolts.

We got another cheap roof vent for the vent ducting and cut those to size using the Broan supplied reducer.

We discarded the flexible pipe in the kit.

It wasn't that price though.

Attachments

• Broan roof vent.pdf
    175.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back