Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Go electric or stay diesel ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Windowcleaner88

Hi all,

I’m sure this has probably been discussed already but I couldn’t find a thread so I’ll ask anyway, has anyone replaced there diesel van for an electric van ? If yes do they feel they made the right decision ? I currently have a diesel van and do roughly 300 miles a week and now wondering if it’s worth considering making the change to electric, I have a 800ltr tank so a heavy payload and I’m guessing that will affect the range I’d get from an electric van ? Any advise is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I`ve been considering buying an e vito for some time now. I think the range is suppose to be around 90 miles but fully loaded would probably be significantly less. So i`m going to hold off for a bit, Also been talking to my mechanic and he reckons they are pretty unreliable plus the charging points break alot. They have come down a fair bit in price though. Still quite keen on the idea though.

Hi all,

I’m sure this has probably been discussed already but I couldn’t find a thread so I’ll ask anyway, has anyone replaced there diesel van for an electric van ? If yes do they feel they made the right decision ? I currently have a diesel van and do roughly 300 miles a week and now wondering if it’s worth considering making the change to electric, I have a 800ltr tank so a heavy payload and I’m guessing that will affect the range I’d get from an electric van ? Any advise is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
No! Its a scam! Most energy is still generated by burning stuff in a facility. ask the question: whats the diff of smoke coming out of your exaust pipe, or the chimney of that dirty facility? Its all about feelgood for people but in the reality its all about money.

Honestly I won't be changing until forced, a friend of mine has a hybrid and its ****.my opinion would be stay diesel for along as you can

1 I don't think electric is the way forward and the date for full electric will end up get further away.

2 surely they will start doing scrappage deals to help th3 transition

No! Its a scam! Most energy is still generated by burning stuff in a facility. ask the question: whats the diff of smoke coming out of your exaust pipe, or the chimney of that dirty facility? Its all about feelgood for people but in the reality its all about money.
Totally agree with you, it's just generate long term money and to stop giving money to the arabs for oil

It's not about solving a problem, but about moving it elsewhere to where pollution data isn't recorded. It's also a stealth tax, which some believe will turn into a pay per mile tax in the future.

I have looked into it but after watching the news last night then I will be sticking with diesel. There isn't enough working fast chargers being installed. Thinking of driving a long distance then forget it because you will have to wait in a long queue. Batteries weight over 300kgs so no van can take the same weight as diesel. In the winter a full charge will only provide a half charge if minus 4 then the moment you put the heater on you will get a half a dozen cleans before it will need a good charge. Glasgow council bought 30 new vehicles last month and some were vans and they were all diesel. When even the folk that are meant to encourage going electric are sticking to diesel then its highly important to copy them. Electric vehicles pay road tax in 2025 and there's only one way electric bills are going and its not down the way. The reason why :- I have solar panels and receive a feed in tariff each quarter. Indexed linked and non taxable. I used to get £1100 a year in 2011 and last year it was £1600, so now with a 10.1% rise it could be £1800 a year and the electric companies pay it, they get the money from our bills so I assume electric bills will need to stay high or they will lose money.

Yep and then what are we going to do with all the Lithium batteries that won't last the lifetime of the vehicle

I'm sure one of the big manufacturers did a paper on it, and people are being misled on the "green aspect"

Saying all that an E van would suit me as I only do about 20 miles a day

Yep and then what are we going to do with all the Lithium batteries that won't last the lifetime of the vehicle

I'm sure one of the big manufacturers did a paper on it, and people are being misled on the "green aspect"

Saying all that an E van would suit me as I only do about 20 miles a day
Correct ! Its another aspect thats not discussed. Producing and disposing all those batteries is a huge problem for the inviroment.

I will be sticking with diesel. Electric is a scam, this is not about replacing petrol/diesel with electric it's about reducing all types of vehicle electric included off the road. None of this is rocket science all you have to do is go to the World Economic Forum website and it clearly tells you exactly what our so called democratic government has planned for the future regarding vehicles.

BTW I noticed ULEZ London some people are now signing over the registered keeper (V5C) for their vehicles to Sadiq Khan and with his work address.He then picks up all the ULEZ fine and any speeding fine as he is the registered keeper off the vehicle. Loophole that can be exploited... You can still.insure the vehicle, slightly higher premium.

I'm not a legal expert on vehicle ownership. But from what I have had read none of us own our vehicles. We are just registered keepers (VGC) which is not ownership. Government owns them all and that is why they can introduce these 15min neighbourhoods without any consultation..

I'm not a legal expert on vehicle ownership. But from what I have had read none of us own our vehicles. We are just registered keepers (VGC) which is not ownership. Government owns them all and that is why they can introduce these 15min neighbourhoods without any consultation..
Vehicle owner & registered keeper are not the same thing. You can be the keeper of a vehicle that’s not yours (leased, family member’s, etc). But if the person or company asks for it back and you refuse, it’s still theft.

We use a Toyota pro ace 50kw electric with a 500ltr for one of our local window cleaning rounds.

I think it is great to drive making the diesel vans seem old fashioned.

If you can charge the van on you driveway (as many of us do with our leisure battery's anyway)
Then the charging and range isn't a issue.

No problems with ad blue or dpf either and servicing costs are reduced.

Going to go for the 75kw version of the proace to replace another one of our vans as this is now available with a better range of about 200 miles.

We use a Toyota pro ace 50kw electric with a 500ltr for one of our local window cleaning rounds.

If you can charge the van on you driveway (as many of us do with our leisure battery's anyway)

Going to go for the 75kw version of the proace to replace another one of our vans as this is now available with a better range of about 200 miles.
How have you found the impact of the weight of a full tank on the range?

How have you found the impact of the weight of a full tank on the range?
The range is advertised as 150 with a 50kwh battery but more like 120 with a full tank.

I usual charge twice a week as I'm charging my leisure battery anyway.

The range on the 75kw version now available is better and the technology will only get better and cheaper as happened with mobile phones flat screen TVs computers etc.

The range is advertised as 150 with a 50kwh battery but more like 120 with a full tank.

I usual charge twice a week as I'm charging my leisure battery anyway.

The range on the 75kw version now available is better and the technology will only get better and cheaper as happened with mobile phones flat screen TVs computers etc.
That’s interesting. Not as big of a hit with a full tank. I thought it would have halved it. And yeah 120 a day is more than plenty! How you finding it cost wise? Like have you figured out the per day cost & compared to diesel?

Thats pretty impressive. Much better than the e vito and the vw transporters range plus correct me if I am wrong, the warranty issued by toyota is 5 years? or is it 7?

Back