Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter clearing off a ladder

WCF

Help Support WCF:

southcoastkev

I just wondered how many of you (if at all) cleared gutters off a ladder?

I usually do them by a gutter sucker vacuum, but I do check them from a ladder if necessary if a downpipe is blocked or an end cap pops off.

I have just moved to a town house and the previous resident (20 years +) had never had them cleared. There are only 4 small areas of gutter, 2 at the front, 2 at the back, but my vacuum just couldn't budge it. In the end I hired a very long ladder and went up and cleared them by hand. It was like thick turf, and being 30 foot up on a ladder isn't fun even though I don't mind heights. Fair play if you do, but I don't envy anyone who clears them off a ladder for each job.

I just wondered how many of you (if at all) cleared gutters off a ladder?

I usually do them by a gutter sucker vacuum, but I do check them from a ladder if necessary if a downpipe is blocked or an end cap pops off.

I have just moved to a town house and the previous resident (20 years +) had never had them cleared. There are only 4 small areas of gutter, 2 at the front, 2 at the back, but my vacuum just couldn't budge it. In the end I hired a very long ladder and went up and cleared them by hand. It was like thick turf, and being 30 foot up on a ladder isn't fun even though I don't mind heights. Fair play if you do, but I don't envy anyone who clears them off a ladder for each job.
We use a gutter vac , but on some jobs you will still need a ladder now and then it’s always worth putting up the camera when quot just to try and spot ant hidden issues

I clear my mother's and girlfriends gutters (using a ladder).its a horrible job.i dont offer this service to my customers anymore.i prefer normal window cleaning and the odd conny roof,fascia clean.
Absolutely, it's a horrible job. I know it's a good maintenance thing to do, but I much prefer window cleaning too ?

I used to clean this including the 3rd floor dormers above the gutter line off ladders
Pita with the Georgian bars all over the windows
Nowadays I only use a ladder to get on a couple of flat roofs and that’s it

Attachments

• IMG_2070.jpeg
    IMG_2070.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 9
We use a gutter vac , but on some jobs you will still need a ladder now and then it’s always worth putting up the camera when quot just to try and spot ant hidden issues
@Pjj definitely. I have a little camera but couldn't see how deep the turf was. When I dropped a couple of chunks down my wife couldn't believe the thud it made when it landed on the ground.

We do 2 block of flats, with individual gardens and 6' fences, so can only do them off a ladder. Pro gutter tools on the end of a WFP makes it a lot quicker and safer. Quite surprised you couldn't suck the turf out though.
@Part Timer there are two small bits at the front and back. One section is about 80cm long, the other about 120cm. The house has a sort of valley angled apex and some massive trees on another property. When I went up I genuinely don't think they've ever been done. Proper cramped and rammed up. I tried a few different nozzles and angles for ages but no luck. I like the pro gutter tools, they're very good value for money. Perfect on bungalows but not sure I'd want to do the flats you do yourself lol

I still use the ladder for them, use the pro gutter tool on a pole. I thought about a guyter vac but it would be time consuming
For general stuff I like the vacuum. It's also much less messy. Sometimes though the ladder is quicker (or in my case I couldn't have done it without it). The pro gutter tools are brilliant.

I still use a ladder for the smaller jobs with easy access as I find it quicker than the vac. I may be a little ocd when using and cleaning my vac as I don’t like to leave anythin inside the hose and poles incase it hardens and starts to cause blockages. I always use a ladder if possible to check the downspouts as my vac isn’t powerful enough to clear really plugged downspouts and also the corner pieces where two roofs converge to form a lead gulley which usually overlaps into the gutter I find are sometimes tricky to get with the vac.

I still use a ladder for the smaller jobs with easy access as I find it quicker than the vac. I may be a little ocd when using and cleaning my vac as I don’t like to leave anythin inside the hose and poles incase it hardens and starts to cause blockages. I always use a ladder if possible to check the downspouts as my vac isn’t powerful enough to clear really plugged downspouts and also the corner pieces where two roofs converge to form a lead gulley which usually overlaps into the gutter I find are sometimes tricky to get with the vac.
I agree. I just can't always get everything with the vacuum. If I could justify the expense of the larger powerful vacuums then that's ok, but I don't like doing it much as it is, so don't want to encourage more gutter clearing jobs lol.

dont work alone cleaning out gutters on a ladder

if you cannot afford a helper then you are not charging enough its as simple as that
I worked for many years without help on a ladder. That said it is good to have someone foot you on the odd dodgy climb. I wouldn’t be paying for someone to come in just to hold the ladder for me though.

dont work alone cleaning out gutters on a ladder

if you cannot afford a helper then you are not charging enough its as simple as that
@Bell Pallisey thank you but I wouldn't work by myself with ladders. This was just at home and my wife was footing the ladder . I hired a ladder from jewson as mine isn't tall enough. It was a pain in the a*se getting it up 3 floors as it was lol. Definitely wouldn't do it at a customer.

I worked for many years without help on a ladder. That said it is good to have someone foot you on the odd dodgy climb. I wouldn’t be paying for someone to come in just to hold the ladder for me though.
i too worked alone on ladders -and once fell the full drop too [when cleaning windows] but this threads about gutters i probably do 2 or 3 gutter jobs each week on ladders and about 1 in ten of these is the one where youre risking your neck if you dont have a helper .Guaranteed youre going to fall eventually if you do 3 gutter jobs per week every week that 150 jobs per year solo .

@Bell Pallisey thank you but I wouldn't work by myself with ladders. This was just at home and my wife was footing the ladder . I hired a ladder from jewson as mine isn't tall enough. It was a pain in the a*se getting it up 3 floors as it was lol. Definitely wouldn't do it at a customer.
was it a ladder that pulled up by a rope? i remember yrs back i rang round the hire shops for a really big ladder to go 4 storey on a new house and one shop told me yes we DO have one,its out the back,,,, hasnt been used in yrs .... i later found a newer sounding one at a different shop but never got the job as the cost of the hire [£80] put me out of the running

Latest Posts

Back