Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Todays windows were a nightmare!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

mrtaytay

Well, the scene was set for a perfect of windowcleaning....sunshine, no rain and eager customers.

However, every single pane of glass that I cleaned today was a nightmare. The gales of yesterday seemed to have coated each and every window with a grubby greasy residue. Fine, I thought...no problem at all. it will wash off easily. It just wasnt to be. I dont know what it was on those windows but it caused smears, smudges and lines on every single pane I cleaned. I kept changing my water, thinking that, initially, I had put too much Fairy in. I changed all my blades. I used umpteen different cloths, but the smears and marks around all of the edges and in random places persisted. Leaded windows were a nightmare as the grease seemed to stick to the lead and then when i came to buff them up, it spread all over the place. Everything took twice as long and I came away thinking that I hadnt done as good a job as normal and almost quite paranoid about my technique.

Has anyone else found the same today?

yes i had exacty the same this morning, i done a leaded house by cloth whent to walk away after 1st window then clocked on the whole window was one big smear changed clothes made no diffence so switch over to wfp with hot water after and was alright

Yep there were a few houses today which I had to keep going over the windows on, absolute nightmare. God knows what gets on them it's like dust and petrol lol

Yep there were a few houses today which I had to keep going over the windows on, absolute nightmare. God knows what gets on them it's like dust and petrol lol
One of my customers reckons it was engine oil blown by the strong winds from the surface of the road.

i wrk buy the sea an i kid u not some have a centimeter of salt on the glass:eek: ive bin haveing to go over some windows 3 times to get them rite not good i have a bucket of pure water in the van an ive bin swishing the brush in to keep it clean :mad:

I had one the day. Some local council man put more silicone on the glass than around the frame to sil it as the custy kept getting mould. After a wet, scrape, wet scrape etc etc. I got there in the end!. Could do without awkward windows with the short days and constant rain!

Well it was peeing it down & gale force winds today so I stayed at home like any normal person should. Even ppl commented when I canceld jobs this morning and the best one was "one only a madman would be out in this weather trying to unblock guttering"/emoticons/biggrin.png

On the plus side I stripped down a guttervacs that failed last week and got all 3 motors working again. /emoticons/smile.png

Back on topic I did noticed on the round that I got done on a dryish day to be honest the windows did not look like they needed cleaning as all the rain had done a good job /emoticons/biggrin.png

he he knew my cleaning time was coming to an end when the hailstones were bouncing down and one of my custys told me it was due to snow shortly:D as she was paying me

I had one yesterday, it looked like someone had thrown handfuls of that muck that sits in the gutters, I had to do that several times. Regarding snow, I always find that after snow the glass is a bit greasy, I think the snow holds dirt and stuff in it.

yes i had exacty the same this morning, i done a leaded house by cloth whent to walk away after 1st window then clocked on the whole window was one big smear changed clothes made no diffence so switch over to wfp with hot water after and was alright
why did you trad when you have W F P find it quite interesting got one customer leaded windows loves WFP she said makes better job

Well, the scene was set for a perfect of windowcleaning....sunshine, no rain and eager customers.
However, every single pane of glass that I cleaned today was a nightmare. The gales of yesterday seemed to have coated each and every window with a grubby greasy residue. Fine, I thought...no problem at all. it will wash off easily. It just wasnt to be. I dont know what it was on those windows but it caused smears, smudges and lines on every single pane I cleaned. I kept changing my water, thinking that, initially, I had put too much Fairy in. I changed all my blades. I used umpteen different cloths, but the smears and marks around all of the edges and in random places persisted. Leaded windows were a nightmare as the grease seemed to stick to the lead and then when i came to buff them up, it spread all over the place. Everything took twice as long and I came away thinking that I hadnt done as good a job as normal and almost quite paranoid about my technique.

thank god it wasnt just me...........the new blade was leaving marks where ever you turned and around the edges was a line of scum....i had to blade and then scrim.....and three neighbours i did on tuesday i just had to do again ....hmm great. sandbachwindowcleaner.co.uk.

why did you trad when you have W F P find it quite interesting got one customer leaded windows loves WFP she said makes better job
i normally wfp all my leadeds as its considerably quicker and im in agreement with you that leaded windows come up better with pole but i havent been able to do much lately due to bad weather so the dry day we did have i was on a mission to get as much done as i can that day, athe job i dne before is awkwark have to trek to get round back of house and it slower with wfp due to that and normally have to wait for the leaded one to unlock gate etc so seems as had me ladder of n ready just decided to trad but it didnt work out in the end as like previously said i had to get pole off eventually anyways, iv had a bit of trouble recently aswell with lead moving due to water fed pole aswell

crazy man she must have thought too:D

he he knew my cleaning time was coming to an end when the hailstones were bouncing down and one of my custys told me it was due to snow shortly:D as she was paying me

training custys is hard work @Smurf /emoticons/biggrin.png as you know

some get a sniff of rain and they would cancel ya if ya let them

its war in a nice way:D

Latest Posts

Back