Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

hose reel extension roller guide

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Redditch windy

has anyone come across a hose reel guide that can extend from a fixed reel out the back doors of a van as opposed to roller guides through floor of van? i know powered reels have hose guides but again they dont extend out the van,if anyone understands what i mean?!

has anyone come across a hose reel guide that can extend from a fixed reel out the back doors of a van as opposed to roller guides through floor of van? i know powered reels have hose guides but again they dont extend out the van,if anyone understands what i mean?!
Cheap option homebase garden hose reel roller £8 

Or ebay 4 way fairlead rollers for atv quad bikes £17 

Doesn't take a few minutes to make a unistrut rail with wing nuts 

I think pure freedom do them for their reels as an option  ??? 

If you have a van with a tail lift then the PF one works fine. They don't extend far enough if you have barn doors.

If your van has barn doors you need a much longer extension. The issue then is that you need clear space behind the hose reel when pushing the extension guide back so you can close the doors.

I have an idea floating around in my mind to solve this but it is going to be a while before I can work on it practically.

I think it’s called your hand. Put a cloth in it and you have the most advanced and adjustable guide in the world. Rollers on a extension bar are a waste of time in my opinion. 
The only way to layer the hose back onto your reel is the way you describe.

Extension bars with rollers will only help to change hose direction when dragging hose off a fixed hose reel.

There have been a few windies and suppliers over the years who have wanted to implement an automatic hose layering system. One of the manufacturers had one in testing, but we never heard anything more. T

Last edited by a moderator:
13 minutes ago, spruce said:

Extension bars with rollers will only help to change hose direction when dragging hose off a fixed hose reel.

There have been a few windies and suppliers over the years who have wanted to implement an automatic hose layering system. One of the manufacturers had one in testing, but we never heard anything more. T

Big money unless you own a fire service appliance 

3 hours ago, spruce said:

its the dragging out that im thinking,to save having to reposition van when working culd de sacs etc

its the dragging out that im thinking,to save having to reposition van when working culd de sacs etc
Yes, I am happy running the hose through a cloth and layering by hand but the ability to pull sideways from the van is very useful.

I had a poorly bodged but functional arm on my old van but that had a tailgate, my new van has doors so the hose needs to drop down below door level to avoid fouling. 

Yes, I am happy running the hose through a cloth and layering by hand but the ability to pull sideways from the van is very useful.

I had a poorly bodged but functional arm on my old van but that had a tailgate, my new van has doors so the hose needs to drop down below door level to avoid fouling. 
If you have floor rollers you can pull the hose sideways as well 

Drill and cut a neat holes in the van floors yes I have done it to all my vans always remember measure twice drill/cut once ??

View attachment 26401
So what do you do with the end of the hose that's outside the van. Do you have something that holds it or do you plug it into a tank return or something. I do like the idea of through floor rollers but I'm not sure how to stop reel unwinding and the end of the hose management?

So what do you do with the end of the hose that's outside the van. Do you have something that holds it or do you plug it into a tank return or something. I do like the idea of through floor rollers but I'm not sure how to stop reel unwinding and the end of the hose management?
Mine stays out the bottom of the van floor and is connected to a return to tank hose , but if using cold then you could just wind the hose right back into the van between jobs or a return to tank . 

He's a thought for you 

If you used two padlock male staple plates or added two rivnuts to the inside lower edge of the door and used two m8 lifting eyes you could make a steel bar with two hooks on each end and add an atv roller to that 

And lock it in place when you need to use it. It would stop the hose snagging on the doors and pin them open.

Excuse the quick phone based photo shop 

8930c4_f01d1fda62ed4a1ca9800f12472bae30_mv2.jpg

The hose is fitted with a limit collar or protector ball and held under the van roller like a 4x4 winch cable hook 

Back