Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot Water 7kg Butane bottle

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jack b

Had a hot water system installed recently. The blue butane gas bottle was installed (a small one at 7KG) to heat the water. My question is how long will this small bottle likely last if I am doing say 15  4 bed houses a day with average pressure. Just a ball park figure I am after pls as I have no idea and don't want to get caught out. Anyone come up with an educated guess please.

Had a hot water system installed recently. The blue butane gas bottle was installed (a small one at 7KG) to heat the water. My question is how long will this small bottle likely last if I am doing say 15  4 bed houses a day with average pressure. Just a ball park figure I am after pls as I have no idea and don't want to get caught out. Anyone come up with an educated guess please.

Does it matter if you get caught out? If the gas runs out then you just carry on using cold until you get a replacement gas bottle.

Hi, I would have thought that the obvious answer would be to get another full gas bottle, so that when it runs out you can replace and then get the empty exchanged for a refill. [emoji106].

When you start with a full bottle, make a note of how long you get out of it.

Alternatively or also get a regulator with a gauge on it, then you will know how much gas you have.

I thought gas heaters ran on Propane not butane. ?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi, I would have thought that the obvious answer would be to get another full gas bottle, so that when it runs out you can replace and then get the empty exchanged for a refill.
emoji106.png

When you start with a full bottle, make a note of how long you get out of it.

Alternatively or also get a regulator with a gauge on it, then you will know how much gas you have.

I thought gas heaters ran on Propane not butane. ?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
? He can run either, but propane is best suited to our industry. Butane can't be used under 5 degrees C as the gas won't vapour. Its a different gas bottle and different regulator so best to start with propane.

Thank you chaps for your replies. I am now aware that propane (the red bottles) would be more suited to our work because of the temperature issue. I wasnt aware when it was fitted however as this is what they fitted for me. I didnt have a say in the matter.

I do appreciate that I can go and get another gas bottle at any time, I was just asking the question of how long such a small gas bootle might last as I have never used this stuff before. Could it be a week, a month, 3 months etc ...(based on my original post  usage) I really just dont know.  

I guess Ill just start using it and see how long it lasts.

The regulator with a gauge on it sounds like a great idea , thanks tjtopcat

Butane 7kg and propane 6kg are in the same group, so you can swap it for propane when it's empty. But have a look on gumtree for a spare bottle. Much cheaper than paying the deposit.

I picked up a couple of 15kg butanes, one was full, for £25. The gas alone was worth more than that. Once I'd used it, I swapped them for propane.

Thanks chaps. Some good info for me. Wow i'm quite shocked at how short such a gas bottle would last. Going by AGlassActs estimate of a 13kg bottle lasting around just 1500 ltrs of water (Depending on temp) my 7kg bottle is going to last around 700 ltrs (Just less than two tank fulls of my 400 ltr tank) !!!!! I get through about 300 ltrs a day so thats going to turn out quite expensive in the long run. Guess I should have done a bit more research before hand ...might have thought twice about getting it fitted. Ah well , live and learn eh.

Thanks chaps. Some good info for me. Wow i'm quite shocked at how short such a gas bottle would last. Going by AGlassActs estimate of a 13kg bottle lasting around just 1500 ltrs of water (Depending on temp) my 7kg bottle is going to last around 700 ltrs (Just less than two tank fulls of my 400 ltr tank) !!!!! I get through about 300 ltrs a day so thats going to turn out quite expensive in the long run. Guess I should have done a bit more research before hand ...might have thought twice about getting it fitted. Ah well , live and learn eh.

A bit exspensive looking is right. Think I’ll put my install on hold ?

I only use mine when the Weather gets icy, so a bottle can last me all winter.

By the way, a little warning, those regulators with the gauge on them are not very accurate, I’ve had two of them 

Back