Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do you go about cleaning these gutters when a roof is below obstructing?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

FD760

Hey, I’ve recently purchased a backpack setup and a 22ft Phantom pole.

I was practicing on some gutters and had to fully extend all the poles to reach this gutter which has a small extension roof below.

Only problem was the pole was bending so much it was almost impossible to control or even get on to the gutters to scrub.

Also I could only really clean the top fronts of the gutter. I couldn’t even clean underneath the gutter. Is there a better way to have the brush head or an adapter?

Is it just the phantom pole itself is not the sturdiest once extended? Maybe need a better pole?

Or is there a better way round this?

Thanks ☺️

Attachments

• D63AB357-5E49-4D31-AC4E-B845B736CC47.jpeg
    D63AB357-5E49-4D31-AC4E-B845B736CC47.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 246C40CD-A077-4973-A44C-82516D39D746.jpeg
    246C40CD-A077-4973-A44C-82516D39D746.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 72

I was practicing on some gutters and had to fully extend all the poles to reach this gutter which has a small extension roof below.

Only problem was the pole was bending so much it was almost impossible to control or even get on to the gutters to scrub.

Also I could only really clean the top fronts of the gutter. I couldn’t even clean underneath the gutter. Is there a better way to have the brush head or an adapter?

Is it just the phantom pole itself is not the sturdiest once extended? Maybe need a better pole?

Thanks ☺️
that's quite some bend bigger pole really so it's not fully extended i got an ova8 to stop that as trying to work like that you will do yourself an injury

Thanks ☺️
These are hard work especially if you have just started.

Even with a lighter pole you would still struggle quite a bit as you won't have the correct mussels in your back, shoulders and arms yet. It took me quite a long time to build up the strength.

It always amazed me jobs that I found increadably hard when I started I don't even notice now.

A few tips. If you rotate the brush so it's vertical you will have a better chance of cleaning the top edge of the gutter as you have more margin for error.

Second if you extend more and rase the pole to chest hight you can push up with your left arm and pull down with your right arm. That with changimg the brush angle more upwards will allow you to put pressure upwards. Don't get me wrong it's very very hard work. And without the strength in your core you can pull a muscle.

Just don't push yourself to hard until your body has adjusted

Thanks ☺️
I've never seen a pole with a bend like that, I use an SLX-22 and it's virtually straight at that sort of length, probably the slightest of bends.

Basically with mine I have the brush angled upwards almost vertical to do gutters like that. Also might use a hop up to get a better angle and more clearance of the gutter below. Not sure how you could make your pole any better though unless you try a lighter brush like Spruce said and try and use it at a shorter length and stand on a hop up or if you're careful a small set of decent step ladders (not ideal but we've all been there).

You could put step ladders up and dont extend the first section on your pole so it is more rigid.

ideally you want a better pole. Bendy poles knock against things you wouldnt want to. The more rigid the pole the more accurate you are .

To be fair that’s a relatively easy job with the right pole don’t extend each section so much this will make a whippey pole stiffer but generally a stiffer pole will make life so much easier doing this this type of work , also comes down to experience and muscle strength this comes with time .

Is it a flat roof or a pitched roof? If it's a flat roof, just put a ladder up and get on the roof
Yes, that is an option. We still have a couple of houses where we can only get access to the back by going over the old washroom flat roof if no one is home. It also makes it easier to clean a couple of windows while we are up there.

However, if H&S get involved, then it gets far more complicated. They want to see fall arrest systems in place. If we had to follow ever letter of H&S safety regulations, we wouldn't do much work at all.

The conundrum is; what level of advice do you give others on a public forum? Do you tell someone to stick their head in an oven, without considering that someone might take your advice?

Defo wouldn’t recommend doing it off step ladder as I’ve tried and it’s super easy to lose your bearings bc you only have two points of contact with the ladder and your looking up which makes it super dangerous.

Couple things I would try - resting the pole on the black low roof gutter edge to use as an aid takes a lot of strain off you, just be careful the gutters solid and doesn’t mark red easily. If it does you can strap a microfibre onto the pole to prevent marking. Maybe try and lock the brush onto the edge of the gutter your cleaning and widen your grip then step in the direction your cleaning this can be good on really hard to reach one’s. As other mentioned getting on the roof is a great option. From the pics I would think I could still do this using my gardiner poles without any of the things mentioned so potentially a new pole would help.

just pass it on . dont feel obliged to do them . carry on and wait for the next one . what would you do if you damaged the gutter . you cannot access it. cant fix it

Back