Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to become a window cleaner

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We don't want care homes in our area as they want them done for nothing.

You can never guarantee commercial window cleaning, imho. There was a cleaner on here who sold all his residential work to focus on commercial. It never panned out for him.
I got two new cleans today because old windy never came back. £8 for 4 windows one up, so £16 a month and next to my original customers. That's the folk I'm looking for, steady reliable income. Gave out half a dozen cards to new customer so will no doubt get a few more. Out again tomorrow cleaning, sticking some bird spikes, spraying weedkiller for customer and ordering glass unit, all in a days work. ?

It is very boring at times especially working on your own. I find myself chatting to the customers some days, but that costs you money. Window cleaning is much better than many jobs and being able to be your own boss. But having a regular job with all the perks (pension, health insurance, life insurance, sick pay, holiday pay) are the type of things you will go without. Of course there is more to life than money especially if you’re unhappy in your current job. I chose window cleaning based on my circumstances it gives me freedom and the ability to earn a decent wage. Many people think all windows cleaners are loaded and it’s easy. That’s really not the case. Some days don’t go to plan. I don’t like the cold. But have survived many hard winters like all the regulars on this site (but many don’t). Time off is money not being earned. Being self employed you really need to work hard and make it worth your while. I sometimes ponder about going back to my previous job working on cad. It was quite specific the area I was in so the money was good, but not great. I am considering now looking in to further education on the side. To broaden my opportunities. Mid thirties and don’t want to hire anyone and don’t want to clean windows for next 40 years either. Good luck with your decision. I hope people’s comments have given you an insight.

I've been going a few years now, survived a few winters and enjoyed some nice summers and my conclusion is that you get out what you put in in this game. Take Lee Pryor for example, he has 22 vans on the road and turns over millions yet he started in the same boat as all of us.

There's no secret, the methods of cleaning, gaining customers, everything has been mapped out and done a million times over- its just a case of doing it for yourself.

I love the job personally, it has given me a better quality of life money wise, it has allowed me to take the days off that I need, when i need them, the only thing that I personally struggle with are holidays and the behind the scenes aspect of running a business that isn't unique to window cleaning, it'd be the same if you did any business.

I've been going a few years now, survived a few winters and enjoyed some nice summers and my conclusion is that you get out what you put in in this game. Take Lee Pryor for example, he has 22 vans on the road and turns over millions yet he started in the same boat as all of us.

There's no secret, the methods of cleaning, gaining customers, everything has been mapped out and done a million times over- its just a case of doing it for yourself.

I love the job personally, it has given me a better quality of life money wise, it has allowed me to take the days off that I need, when i need them, the only thing that I personally struggle with are holidays and the behind the scenes aspect of running a business that isn't unique to window cleaning, it'd be the same if you did any business.
Very true, I'm just about finished, was doing quotes for 2 hours after finishing the cleaning, been getting the water ready for tomorrow, text all the customers, just finished emailing off 7 written quotes, sent off two invoices, all adds time. I was knackered after I had finished doing the cleaning having done 3 hard days of add ons. It's not easy work, but if you put in the effort, the money is there to be had. It's just simple hard work and dedication but if you don't manage the business then it won't manage itself and would quickly fall apart.

I wonder what happened to those he whom he owed money that he promised to see right?
I doubt they'll ever get their money he has been gone 3-4 years now if he had any intention of settling his debts he would of, he allegedly had a thriving business and a franchise but also allegedly not according to some, he wasn't the nicest of people but not many people knew this

I doubt they'll ever get their money he has been gone 3-4 years now if he had any intention of settling his debts he would of, he allegedly had a thriving business and a franchise but also allegedly not according to some, he wasn't the nicest of people but not many people knew this
He was a moderator on here at one time I think.

He was a moderator on here at one time I think.
He always seemed to have anger management issues and dragged folk into his mindset. I will say one thing he had a great business mindset which I learned alot from. The one thing I have learned in life is not to get involve with angry people because they don't change and end up bringing the other person down. I had a workmate like this and he fell out with me and it was the best thing that happened to me and my business took off. I won't let it happen again.

best paid job going if you have the customers and dont charge prices too low
im on my 3rd holiday this year Sunny Beach the quiet end of course
have you said what area you in

Hi all,

I’m looking for a change of career and window cleaning seems a great fit, the issue is I have no idea how to get started so I’m hoping I can pick up some tips and guidance here.

I currently work full time, and I’m hoping rather than giving up a 13 year career and falling flat on my face I would start slowly at weekends. Is this a ridiculous idea?

I have been reading about WFP systems and pure water, and then traditionally method. For a new starter would the investment into a WFP system be worth it?

Are there any other tips that I should bear in mind to get started?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Anton
Anton

1) Get Public Liability Insurance
2) Open a dedicated business bank account.
3) Find out what the prices are of other window cleaners in the area. NEVER undercut another cleaner! NEVER believe that going cheaper than others is the way to get buainess. You won't survive your 1st year if you think that way. Don't be afraid to walk away from business if it is too cheap, too dangerous or too acessable.
4) Get canvassing! Business is about relationships, you need to meet people and let them know who you are. Keep it simple - "Good morning. My name's Anton and I'm just canvassing for window cleaning. Can I be of service to you?" With this approach I built a £40k business in 12 months.
5) Manage your money. 1/3 stays in your business account and 2/3 pays your wages. There are more expenses than you can imagine.

I started with a bucket, applicator, squeegee and small point ladder. I could only do bungalows. For 6 months all money went into the business and I took no wages. I used the money to first buy a Backpack and Pole. I had a mate who supplied me purified water. Then I bought the purification equipment. I took the back seats out of a Micra and fitted a 200 ltr tank in it along with the pump ect. One year later I bought a Berlingo Van. I am about to sell that and buy a Transit Custom. Along the way I bought other equipment such as GutterVac. I sold my fist round £9k. The point of these details are that you have start small and continually build your business. I put my success down to diligent canvassing and high pricing from the begining.

Hope that helps.
Steve

When I was first starting out I thought about franchising and rang him, he tried to actively steer me away from a franchise with him (as he probably knew his business was going down the toilet), and instead offered me an amazing deal for a mere few thousand I could have an online course where he would teach me how to get started and the "secret recipe" to make the magic pure water (his words, not mine)

Once I saw what he was really like my conclusion was he is a ? end, he claimed to hate bullies but bullied people ?
Do you remember when I had my fall out with him?

He was a bit sharp with me, so I told him to F off. He took me off the forum for three days ??.

Always got on well with him after that

If it wasn't for the so called 'bragging' then I wouldn't have set up a window cleaning business, so I'm thankful for all those who were willing to discuss figures and how much they make in a day etc. If nothing else, it opens your eyes to the possibilities.

Honestly I really don't see the problem in discussing figures, for me if someone says they've made say £500 in a day my initial instinct is to ask myself how they've managed it, followed by 'can I learn / copy it'. I think some just are jealous of it and I really don't see why, I admire anyone who is successful and willing to talk about it.

When I was thinking about starting up I told friends and family and many of them said there was no way you could charge more than £10 for a house. How wrong they were :ROFLMAO:
Oh yes, it takes to learn and read a books about the business ideas, experiment, grow on mistakes and so on. One famous business guru said ''Be careful from who you take the advice. Is he employee, self-employed, business owner? Never ever listen those, who are under your business hierarchy''. And also that question - HOW they managed it - ''is switching the brain on, while be sceptical about switching it off. That's why employee stay employee, self-employed stay self-employed..''

Latest Posts

Back