Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water fed pole, scratched glass!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

personally i think that could be a contaminated brush. you don't have to push that hard with some sand to see a scratch and the flow of scratches, to me, looks like the path of movement made with a brush. i find a lot of the gulls around here leave sandy s***s on the window, i haven't had any cause scratch yet with WFP, but had a few that could easily have caused scratches if i wasn't careful, cleaning with traditional.

have a check next time you're around there and try to get pics from another angle, as parts of the scratch my not be visible from this one angle you have shown.

Its funny this subject has come up. I have priced a couple of jobs up lately and the customers have asked if i use wfp as the last window cleaner had scratched the glass. When i looked at the 3 people that had said it there were lots of scratches on most of the glass. I could not think of any way this could have happened. But 3 people in different areas have said it has.

With that info Tommo, I guess I ought to switch out my brush till I can rinse it out the next time i drop it. There's always a first time, right? I carry spares of most bits including brushes, so there's no excuse really

Could be picked up from the window, or light particles caught from dust blown from a roof/gutter... theyve been crumbly dry this week.

Over the years I've seen several windies stand their poles up against a brick wall with the bristles on the brickwork and then start cleaning the next window after a break. No consideration was given to the brick grit the bristles could have picked up off the brickwork.

A brush can be contaminated with grit when cleaning the door sill of french doors for example which are close to the ground. If you don't wash and get that out then you are carrying a pontential to scratch glass on the next window you clean.

Sometimes I find I can spend as much time cleaning the brush as it does the window. I often stick my brush under a customers outside tap to clean it off between windows. Maybe this is why I'm so slow.

I see that this post is quite old and would like to hear from @Jason Pitt what the outcome was.

Just seen that he was last on here at the beginning of January so we aren't going to hear from him. Only wanted help on his scratched glass problem - a taker rather than a giver.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
I've recently stopped cleaning door sills with the brush because some of the sills I've cleaned have been loaded with dirt. Trouble was it all ended up on the glass of the next windows and would take ages to rinse off. Never scratched it though. Seems I've been fortunate so far. I don't even do downstairs window sills with the brush often times. I use a short blade and a cloth. And the same for door sills.

I've recently stopped cleaning door sills with the brush because some of the sills I've cleaned have been loaded with dirt. Trouble was it all ended up on the glass of the next windows and would take ages to rinse off. Never scratched it though. Seems I've been fortunate so far. I don't even do downstairs window sills with the brush often times. I use a short blade and a cloth. And the same for door sills.
i stick to traditional on the ground floor, using titan's glass gleam 4, it stops that spotty reaction between the pure water thats dripping from upstairs and the dishsoap most people use for trad. its like a quid or so for a trial 'floater' bottle, test it out dude...

I think people worry too much

I never rinse my brush..just a quick flick with my hand if it's got bit on it

Never scratched any glass

You would have to do something seriously wrong to scratch it like that

wfp can scratch glass , just had a new company under cut us on two jobs , took them 2 hours to clean a 5 bed house , destroyed three pains of glass and as told the customer to **** off when she rang them one day later

all because they wanted to save three pounds a month in there 4ook brand new house

I put my brush down, water off (aquadapter) with the back against the wall. Good habit I feel, theres always dust on bricks, some places its soot and mud dust... others its sandy, best to only let the bristles touch window, frame and sill.

I wouldnt think those were two pence scratches as theyre all over the pane, the only way those would be two pence is vandalism, not to clean birdpup. Imo.

To clean my brush I chop at it like mr miagi... whack all the dirt and webs off, about four chops each way does it, always after dirty windows. And in between front/back on houses as ive shortened the pole.

Latest Posts

Back