Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do discounts work?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

no i dont pressure wash fsg i would be adverising fsg and pressure washing lol who powerwashes fsg ?? its like using a 80ft pole to clean a mirror ?/emoticons/tongue.png

Some planks from a new customer who pressure washered the fsg and it went in the vents and muckied her blinds. Still got me a customer though so can't complain /emoticons/wink.png

Wouldn't be a bad job if he goes round all the local business and asks to drop flyers, doing ten flyers a drop then would be £200 a day :thumbsup:

I like chatting to the locals of the area, they can give you bits of info that's useful, and the job you got was on chatting and had a story for you @MrBump, good result today :thumbsup:

Cheers Jimroot. Yeah I don't mind chatting either, just don't wanna bug people really. The job today was call from a leaflet though :thumbsup: When someone is by the door by chance I never ask them anything useful, do you ever ask them how much does he charge or how often or anything? I would never undercut anyone or tout for work, but it would be useful to know what neighbours pay already for the area so I can see how I fare. I think I'm more expensive though, one did say 'no thanks a guy does it all for a tenner with a conservatory already' to me earlier though, which my price would be £15-20 so he's got a good deal /emoticons/biggrin.png

Yes sometimes I ask how frequent and sometimes how much too if they seem open.

If they offer the info without me asking it's usually presented in way to make me give up 'he does the whole road/estate etc.'

I've only knocked two I'd say we're a bit frosty/annoyed and I don't care. 99% don't mind or don't feel able to mind.

Sometimes I'm incredulous and can't hide it, if they say have them done monthly and they're filthy, they're either lying, deluded or lied to.

That's great insight there on being open with prices! I hope that's not the case :eek:

Had one girl the other other day already in the garden say 'no I like my windows dirty', deadpan, which I thought was a strange response. And a guy today as my bro walked up his drive wigh a leaflet walked out of the door and said 'I'm busy bugger off' /emoticons/biggrin.png Still I guess 99% are nice though, maybe when I grow a pair I'll start knocking :thumbsup:

Someone told me to bugger off I'd ask to explain themselves and probably get into a row :mad:

I keep waiting for someone to complain about a flyer, and I prep responses.

This guy was about 75, old people always seem to get away with being grumpy /emoticons/biggrin.png

Do you ever knock the doors with no canvassers/cold callers stickers all over them? That's where the real bravado lies /emoticons/biggrin.png

Ahh, I would prob give him a let with a mutter 'under my breath' that can just be heard.

Was going to say no I don't knock those, but actually I do if the sign isn't really obvious, with the reply ready than I hadn't seen it. I've not had a complaint. I imagine they forget at the instant they've got a sign up

Even then, You could always say you're not selling, your providing community information about a local service you wouldn't like them to miss out on through lack of awareness :thumbsup: I'll try that and let you know. Could also say, you thought cold calling was a message not to bother them in winter and as its summer... /emoticons/biggrin.png

I do flyer 'no junk mail' with the reply ready 'it's certainly not junk to me! ' Thrusting the insult back at them

The cleverest signs I see say 'please do not knock, we have every service we want, happy with our religious beliefs, just want to be left alone, please respect that'. That kind of thing. Have to knock and pretend you just hadn't seen it /emoticons/smile.png

If they tell me a low price or act shocked I tell them to hire/find the other one as its a great price and I couldn't operate and pay my insurances and have the best tools and take my time if I did it for that

Haha I can tell you've done this before, all great responses there! Especially the cold calling is fine in the summer and its not junk to you. Those are perfect and I might have to go out canvassing tomorrow just so I get an opportunity to use some of these! Haha /emoticons/biggrin.png

Cheers. I've only done it for less than two months. Not much luck either like the flyering, but after the first five mins, i got into it, sometimes enjoy it even if I'm in the right mood for a challenge. I don't enjoy sales or promotion, but it's the only way unfortunately. I'd say I'm still not great at converting, as I usually get a few each time say yes I'll call. They don't. I should take their number and call them back. In fact I will next time

Well it sounds like you know what your doing. I'm rubbishing at closing the deal too, if they say " hmmm, yes I need that done, hmm yeah, I'll call you", I need to butt in before they say "I'll call you" and say "great I'll book you in" haha. We'll get there! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm going out for two hours tomorrow all being well... I'll update on success (...fully winding the local population up! /emoticons/biggrin.png)

Thanks for asking simplybusiness. It's getting better, but still a way off before its fully back to normal.

I was going to ask you actually, will it affect my insurance in any way? Say ligthning struck twice and another ladder broke and I broke the same arm again, would I be covered or is that arm now uninsurable?

Good to hear @MrBump, must be frustrating!

In terms of the personal accident cover, it shouldn't affect it as it's a one-off accident. If for example, you had pains in your arm as the result of a now long-standing issue with your arm it may be another story.

But in terms of one-off accidents, that's exactly what it's there to cover! Your policy premium (public liability etc) would be unaffected by this type of thing /emoticons/smile.png

So frustrating! That's good to hear simply business. The fact I will be doing everything in my power to avoid ladders from now on means its less likely to happen again :thumbsup: I don't mind pain, that'd never stop me working, just physically not being able to pick something up or straighten / twist my arm is whats stopping me, although I am doing some one-armed work. Aiming to go back full time in 3 weeks, so have that long to sort out some insurance with you guys /emoticons/wink.png

Latest Posts

Back