Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Encouragement for building up work

• Thread starter Deleted member 5762
  • Start date
WCF

Help Support WCF:

D

Deleted member 5762

Hi guys,
I've had a bit of a rough couple of months both personally and work wise.
I'm just after a little bit of encouragement and a few wise words from anyone kind to offer them please.
I've had a little round going for while, I do a mix of water fed and squeegee work.
In the last couple of months we had to move house and where we've moved I am unable to have an RO system (due to the plumbing style and nowhere to drain the waste water - TDS is about 275 so too high to use a DI only, even though I don't use that much water). I've been using spotless which isn't too far away, but still a bit frustrating lol.
My pole got damaged when moving but have ordered the replacement sections and have a couple of new brushes coming too.
Also getting some usually regular customers starting to mess me about with delaying/cancelling cleans etc. I understand it's cost of living and window cleaning is first to go but it's still getting me a bit down. Hopefully I can replace them with some decent customers and build up work a bit as the weather gets better.
I'm also hoping to expand gutter clearing a bit too, so will be looking at getting a 3 section ladder and an extension reel for my gutter vac (not at the stage yet for a generator and the ladder will only be a last resort if there's anything stubborn in the gutters or they need checking and the camera won't suffice).
I think the customers messing about and the poor weather has had me being a bit hard on myself.
I just wanted to ask that a:) have any of you guys felt like this before (and how you switched out of it) please? And b:) if anyone can recommend a good make of ladder and extension reel please?
Apologies for grumbling, I know many people are in far worse positions, and thank you to anyone that can offer any advice.

You’re not on your own, it’s the worst winter financially I’ve had, squeezed both sides with ‘cost of living’ and the persistent rain has really taken its toll.
March and April things start to take off, so you need to be ready to strike while the iron is hot and build up a nice big buffer financially and customers that you can float through next winter without too much worry!

Been doing this for 25 years and ime not a depressive type of person but this winter I think has been the worst in years constant rain and high winds , it does get you down . We don’t have any issues with customers cancelling or skipping cleans , but spring is very close at hand and ime sure you will get a steady stream of new customers, do you have a website? This brings in lots of new work , sign written van will also get a lot of enquiries, speak to existing customers see if they have friends and family who need a cleaner . Try canvassing around existing customers to save so much travelling around . Let us know how you get on .

You’re not on your own, it’s the worst winter financially I’ve had, squeezed both sides with ‘cost of living’ and the persistent rain has really taken its toll.
March and April things start to take off, so you need to be ready to strike while the iron is hot and build up a nice big buffer financially and customers that you can float through next winter without too much worry!
Yes I think so too. Another window cleaner I know has said it's the worst few months he remembers and he's been going years. Great ideas. Thanks very much. Much appreciated ?

Been doing this for 25 years and ime not a depressive type of person but this winter I think has been the worst in years constant rain and high winds , it does get you down . We don’t have any issues with customers cancelling or skipping cleans , but spring is very close at hand and ime sure you will get a steady stream of new customers, do you have a website? This brings in lots of new work , sign written van will also get a lot of enquiries, speak to existing customers see if they have friends and family who need a cleaner . Try canvassing around existing customers to save so much travelling around . Let us know how you get on .
@Pjj thank you very much. Honestly the weather seems to be a loop of wind, heavy rain or absolutely freezing. Very little let up. I don't have a website but have managed to get in Google and am in the process of creating just a free website to start with. At least I can link them up. I have a Facebook page which has been quite good for getting work and my favourite is recommendations because it helps me feel I'm doing a good job. I don't have a van, way out of my price range at the moment, but my car is van derived (Berlingo), so within reason it's usually ok. I've been designing some magnetic signs to go on the sides so that should help. I also have a couple of polo shirts and a zip top with my work logo on which had also has also helped people if they want to approach me. Where I live there are a lot of elderly people , so if I'm visiting them for the first time I always say "when I arrive I'll be wearing a blue top with my my name on" which I've been told is reassuring for them. Thank you for your advice and sorry for the long reply.

Spring is almost here, so hopefully within a few weeks we will get some sunny days and customers will need their windows cleaning.
Stick with it and do a bit of door knocking in the same streets as your current work. Look presentable, be polite, smile and you should be fine.
This winter has been tricky but it's almost over.

Spring is almost here, so hopefully within a few weeks we will get some sunny days and customers will need their windows cleaning.
Stick with it and do a bit of door knocking in the same streets as your current work. Look presentable, be polite, smile and you should be fine.
This winter has been tricky but it's almost over.
@ched999uk thank you very much buddy. Onwards and upwards.

I feel you, I posted a not dissimilar thread a couple of weeks back. Just keep going, and in particular I'd say enjoy the good days when they come. Don't expect too much, and remember not to get into too negative a mindset, such as taking things personally. It's just winter, we'll come out of it. I hope! :LOL:

Unfortunately, customers delaying and cancelling cleans is the norm sometimes I have had a few permanent cancellations recently due to price rises but at the point of them saying they want to cancel I have offered an 8-weekly service at a higher price which most accepted and one has asked to go 8 weekly which I don't mind at all as I'm still retaining the customer so offer an alternative schedule for those messers.

I am the type of person that no matter how hard I try things do consume me I get very stressed, I am just getting over a stressful time so I know how things can mess with your head you will come out the other side and keep plodding on, if you need more work then the best option is to knock doors as gaining new jobs will boost your mood as well as your bank balance

As above get out there and knock doors mate. I’m lucky in that I’m over full now but it does take a long time.
I used to take cancellations very personally but it also drove me to do something about it. If someone cancelled I would finish my days work and knock doors until I replaced them. Always gave me great satisfaction and quite often it would be a better customer than the one that had gone.
I’m almost 40 years in now and wish I’d had a pound when someone said to me ‘you must get used to the winter cold’!
You never do. It’s just a case of knuckling down for a few weeks until the weather turns and then really enjoy the majority of the year when it’s great to be outside and you can earn well.
Just keep putting the effort in and it will pay off eventually.
Good lucky buddy

Spring is just around the corner now and brighter days are ahead. Now would be a good time to put a plan in place for customer growth and acquiring the right type of customers! Over my time in business I've put together scripts and processes for dealing with customers wanting to skip or cancel. I've got some time this coming weekend, I'd be more than happy to share what I've got? This applies for anyone.

Unfortunately, customers delaying and cancelling cleans is the norm sometimes I have had a few permanent cancellations recently due to price rises but at the point of them saying they want to cancel I have offered an 8-weekly service at a higher price which most accepted and one has asked to go 8 weekly which I don't mind at all as I'm still retaining the customer so offer an alternative schedule for those messers.

I am the type of person that no matter how hard I try things do consume me I get very stressed, I am just getting over a stressful time so I know how things can mess with your head you will come out the other side and keep plodding on, if you need more work then the best option is to knock doors as gaining new jobs will boost your mood as well as your bank balance
Thanks @Iron Giant it is much appreciated. I hope you continue to get over your stressful period mate.

As above get out there and knock doors mate. I’m lucky in that I’m over full now but it does take a long time.
I used to take cancellations very personally but it also drove me to do something about it. If someone cancelled I would finish my days work and knock doors until I replaced them. Always gave me great satisfaction and quite often it would be a better customer than the one that had gone.
I’m almost 40 years in now and wish I’d had a pound when someone said to me ‘you must get used to the winter cold’!
You never do. It’s just a case of knuckling down for a few weeks until the weather turns and then really enjoy the majority of the year when it’s great to be outside and you can earn well.
Just keep putting the effort in and it will pay off eventually.
Good lucky buddy
Thanks very much @PC ?

I feel you, I posted a not dissimilar thread a couple of weeks back. Just keep going, and in particular I'd say enjoy the good days when they come. Don't expect too much, and remember not to get into too negative a mindset, such as taking things personally. It's just winter, we'll come out of it. I hope! :LOL:
Thank you @Stuart S . I can cope with some but I have a couple of long term customers who now seem to think "it's only the window cleaner, he won't mind" sort of thing. I've gently explained before that if it's a genuine reason then no problem - on holiday, hospital appointments, building work etc, but if it's "there's rain due later this week so I don't want them cleaning" that unfortunately won't be a reason for me to be short on my paying my bills. I've now said to them that when they are next due the price will be higher as they've been left longer. I really appreciate your reply and you are spot on, just try and enjoy the better days ?

Spring is just around the corner now and brighter days are ahead. Now would be a good time to put a plan in place for customer growth and acquiring the right type of customers! Over my time in business I've put together scripts and processes for dealing with customers wanting to skip or cancel. I've got some time this coming weekend, I'd be more than happy to share what I've got? This applies for anyone.
Yes please

Hi guys,
I've had a bit of a rough couple of months both personally and work wise.
I'm just after a little bit of encouragement and a few wise words from anyone kind to offer them please.
I've had a little round going for while, I do a mix of water fed and squeegee work.
In the last couple of months we had to move house and where we've moved I am unable to have an RO system (due to the plumbing style and nowhere to drain the waste water - TDS is about 275 so too high to use a DI only, even though I don't use that much water). I've been using spotless which isn't too far away, but still a bit frustrating lol.
My pole got damaged when moving but have ordered the replacement sections and have a couple of new brushes coming too.
Also getting some usually regular customers starting to mess me about with delaying/cancelling cleans etc. I understand it's cost of living and window cleaning is first to go but it's still getting me a bit down. Hopefully I can replace them with some decent customers and build up work a bit as the weather gets better.
I'm also hoping to expand gutter clearing a bit too, so will be looking at getting a 3 section ladder and an extension reel for my gutter vac (not at the stage yet for a generator and the ladder will only be a last resort if there's anything stubborn in the gutters or they need checking and the camera won't suffice).
I think the customers messing about and the poor weather has had me being a bit hard on myself.
I just wanted to ask that a:) have any of you guys felt like this before (and how you switched out of it) please? And b:) if anyone can recommend a good make of ladder and extension reel please?
Apologies for grumbling, I know many people are in far worse positions, and thank you to anyone that can offer any advice.
I think it's the same for us all. I've been doing the job 32 years and it's the wettest winter I can remember. I've had lots of customers saying 'can you leave it this month', they're just not interested when they know it's going to rain the next day. Keep your spirits up, things will improve.

Latest Posts

Back