Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Industrial unit gutter clearing advice.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ChrisBlack84

I've been asked to clear the gutters on some industrial units twice per year. I've only done basic residential so far.

I'm looking for advice on pricing and equipment needed. On residential I use a gutter sucker junior or sometimes by hand.

The first job is approx 100m long. Has 2 gutter channels which i will need to get on the roof and at its tallest is 8.5 m.

any advice on what equipment will be needed and how would you go about quoting sonething like this?
20220923_104500.jpg20220923_104502.jpg20220926_131419.jpg20220923_105734.jpg

2nd job is 3 large units. All similar to the below.
20220926_130325.jpg

Will my gutter junior be up to the task?
I will need a generator. Any advice on which one?

Any help will be appreciated as the could potentially be a large client for my business and may lead to another 21units having gutters done.

Cheers ?

Just be careful and do t walk on that asbestos roof unless you have crawling boards evan then I doubt they would accept that with a rams. , you will need some long hose to do on that roof with a vac , I would first di a camera survey to see just how bad it is , @Part Timer does a lot of stuff like this so may well be able to offer advice , ime not familiar with your vac but guess within reason any 3,000 watt machine should’ve ok provided there arnt any large trees growing in it , price wise charge high to cover all eventualities, on that roof it would be far safer with two people and possibly a cherry picker but that will also increase the price . Also allow waist removal costs in your quote .

I would think the only way to do the middle section is by getting on the roof and doing it by hand, unless you can get access and use a MEWP with a long articulating outreach and take your gutter vac into the cradle. Ask their H&S rep for a meeting to discuss what he deems safe as with boards you should be safe doing it from the metal roof, as long as it's not slippy from rain or sap. It would however be safer doing it from a MEWP. If you do hire one then I'd do the whole building from it as I doubt many gutter vacs would handle that jungle as those gutters are deep and there will be metal straps every meter or so.

I've been asked to clear the gutters on some industrial units twice per year. I've only done basic residential so far.

I'm looking for advice on pricing and equipment needed. On residential I use a gutter sucker junior or sometimes by hand.

The first job is approx 100m long. Has 2 gutter channels which i will need to get on the roof and at its tallest is 8.5 m.

any advice on what equipment will be needed and how would you go about quoting sonething like this?
View attachment 27405View attachment 27406View attachment 27408View attachment 27409

2nd job is 3 large units. All similar to the below.
View attachment 27411

Will my gutter junior be up to the task?
I will need a generator. Any advice on which one?

Any help will be appreciated as the could potentially be a large client for my business and may lead to another 21units having gutters done.

Cheers ?
I'm sorry, but this is a job for someone who has done jobs like this on a regular basis before.

There is a lot of safety equipment needed here, and that asbestos roof could well be a problem area. All that is needed is for you to slip or trip on the metal side of the roof (we called them IBR roofing sheets in South Africa) and fall onto that asbestos roof, and you could well be a goner if you fall through it.

From experience, the carrot of another 21 units like this is usually not always how it 'plays' out.

I'm sorry, but this is a job for someone who has done jobs like this on a regular basis before.

There is a lot of safety equipment needed here, and that asbestos roof could well be a problem area. All that is needed is for you to slip or trip on the metal side of the roof (we called them IBR roofing sheets in South Africa) and fall onto that asbestos roof, and you could well be a goner if you fall through it.

From experience, the carrot of another 21 units like this is usually not always how it 'plays' out.
I understand your concern, I very much doubt he'd be allowed on the roof.

The roof should have a mansafe system on it to attach a harness if not handrails need to be in place.Failing that price to use a gutter vac and cherry picker it.

How ever tempting these bigger jobs are never, never compromise your own and others health and safety just to win a job and give the client a cheap price.

Trust me the client won't give a toss for you should you fall off or go through the roof.

A window cleaner fell through a roof on an industrial unit in Stevenage opposite the spotless water site cleaning the gutters.Thankfully he didn't die but had to be airlifted to hospital and was in a very bad way.

The roof should have a mansafe system on it to attach a harness if not handrails need to be in place.Failing that price to use a gutter vac and cherry picker it.

How ever tempting these bigger jobs are never, never compromise your own and others health and safety just to win a job and give the client a cheap price.

Trust me the client won't give a toss for you should you fall off or go through the roof.

A window cleaner fell through a roof on an industrial unit in Stevenage opposite the spotless water site cleaning the gutters.Thankfully he didn't die but had to be airlifted to hospital and was in a very bad way.
If I remember rightly he was working against his own rams and has no comeback for the accident

Totally agree with this but they will be very nervous when the HSE investigate and they find themselves in court ??

Totally agree with this but they will be very nervous when the HSE investigate and they find themselves in court ??
A lot of accidents go under the radar so to speak and no HSE investigation is compensation when your wheeling yourself about in a wheel chair.

I believe nothing ever came of it for the guy or business in Stevenage.

Latest Posts

Back