Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lifespan of hypo

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Crystalalan

Happy easter folks!

Planning on painting the exterior of our park home. Was going to wash down the walls first. Got some hypo but is a couple of years old. Do you reckon its worth buying some more?

I spent yesterday afternoon painting half of our bungalow. I hate painting it as it's pebbledash and using a brush to 'dab' paint into the surface takes an age. I bought an ERBAUER EPS800 800W ELECTRIC SPRAYER from Screwfix and sprayed Sandtex smooth masonry paint - thinned down 2 paint:1 water. It was so much easier, not much overspray at all as it's High Volume Low Pressure.
I am pleased with the results of spraying. Although I still have the other half to do at some point ? . Mask off windows and doors and you can hold a piece of cardboard to protect the bottom from overspray. I used lots of dustsheets around just in case it was going to be bad but I was pleasantly surprised, mind you it was a very still day yesterday.

I can also use it to paint our fence panels - another job I dislike - are you sensing a theme :)

Good luck with your painting.

The life span of hypo is generally 6 months if unopened , but I have used stuff that has been opened and months out of date and it’s worked ok , I would use it if it doesn’t work to well just use a stronger mix

I spent yesterday afternoon painting half of our bungalow. I hate painting it as it's pebbledash and using a brush to 'dab' paint into the surface takes an age. I bought an ERBAUER EPS800 800W ELECTRIC SPRAYER from Screwfix and sprayed Sandtex smooth masonry paint - thinned down 2 paint:1 water. It was so much easier, not much overspray at all as it's High Volume Low Pressure.
I am pleased with the results of spraying. Although I still have the other half to do at some point ? . Mask off windows and doors and you can hold a piece of cardboard to protect the bottom from overspray. I used lots of dustsheets around just in case it was going to be bad but I was pleasantly surprised, mind you it was a very still day yesterday.

I can also use it to paint our fence panels - another job I dislike - are you sensing a theme :)

Reminds me of a job they were doing for Ciba Geigy. They were spraying a metal fence grey and I don't think they realised how close the cars were parked. When they went round to do the other side they realised all the cars had grey spray paint on them. Ended up costing Ciba a fortune to respray all the cars that had been contaminated. They never did it again because their workers were given a brush and paint pot the next time it came round.

Reminds me of a job they were doing for Ciba Geigy. They were spraying a metal fence grey and I don't think they realised how close the cars were parked. When they went round to do the other side they realised all the cars had grey spray paint on them. Ended up costing Ciba a fortune to respray all the cars that had been contaminated. They never did it again because their workers were given a brush and paint pot the next time it came round.
The overspray wasn't bad at all, I could get quite tight lines when spraying up to an edge, even though everything was masked off just in case. I sheeted off the fence between us and next door just in case :)

I would say for pebbledash, render, or fence panels the sprayer is excellent. Looks really nice, new house number sign as well. Now I have been told I need to replace the gutters as they look a bit tatty in comparison!!!

I used a 9" 18mm pile wool roller when I was staining my fence and a 2" brush for tops and edges. For painting a render house I used a 3" stiff brush off a ladder. It did take me 5 days to do a semi-detached ex-council house. The gable took me 2 days due to the size and I had to paint around the windows a different colour. Didn't need to tape anything up and think I couldn't have received a better finish using a roller.

Ha Ha Yep the good old easter bank holiday list of chores rears its ugly head again. Thats a really good idea ched. Cheers for that. Our home is covered in that really horrible textured resitex so spraying it would be amazing.

Been there and done that but just cracked on with a brush.

over recent weeks, I have stripped wallpaper from walls in two rooms ahead of plasterers and spent all day Friday till after 7pm painting the walls and ceilings second coat went on yesterday and I managed to build two 2.50m high wardrobes upright that was fun and built a chest of drawers as well ? only got a bed two bedside cabinets and a dressing table to build I might get a day off tomorrow :sleep:

Latest Posts

Back