Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Markup on window cleaning equipment is getting silly.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

wonderer99

OK so probably opening a can of worms here and will get some grief but after needing a few odds and sods it rammed home just how expensive equipment can be and just how little competition there is out there on a lot of stuff which keeps prices high.

This isn't directed at any one retailer and I wont mention names but it seems that to purchase anything now seems to be excruciatingly expensive unless you can buy the same from Amazon or Ebay, a lot of which you cant. Just now for example I went to buy a new TDS meter. £42 plus delivery charge. The same exact thing can be had for £4.99 including free delivery on Amazon. Its crazy. If I want a few rubber washers, a bit of pole hose and a couple of clips for my poles it turns into a £50+ purchase.

I can stomach it ( to a degree) when your buying large or long life items like new poles or gutter vacs etc but its the small everyday spares and repair stuff that seems so ridiculous. A single Univalve is between 40 and 50 quid depending on where you get it. Great items and I wouldn't use anything else but come on, for what it is!

Like I say, I don't like to criticize and I have dealt with every major supplier of kit and have nothing but positive experiences but there is little denying we are taken for a bit of a ride with the markup of some stuff.

I think sometimes the problem is the volume of production - take the univalve once you have one in each of your poles how long do they last - years. Now thanks to @Skxawng you can get refurb kits. The inventor of the univalve probably spent tens on thousands having the moulds made so while each one probably only costs a few £ to make he has the tooling costs to recover/patent fees plus there is no competition really.
As for TDS meter, be careful of the likes of Amazon as there are many fakes round - look at Daqua as he sells genuine EC3 ones at £16 delivered!
While there quite a few window cleaners we are all tight and look after our kit ;) so there isn't that big volume of products required - so the investment returns aren't great enough for more than a couple of companies to make the same things. Look at how many decent pole manufacturers there are 3 (Gardiners, Ova8 and Facelift) while they are making a living I doubt they will become millionaires in the near future.

All that said I would love for all our kit to be cheaper.

OK so probably opening a can of worms here and will get some grief but after needing a few odds and sods it rammed home just how expensive equipment can be and just how little competition there is out there on a lot of stuff which keeps prices high.

This isn't directed at any one retailer and I wont mention names but it seems that to purchase anything now seems to be excruciatingly expensive unless you can buy the same from Amazon or Ebay, a lot of which you cant. Just now for example I went to buy a new TDS meter. £42 plus delivery charge. The same exact thing can be had for £4.99 including free delivery on Amazon. Its crazy. If I want a few rubber washers, a bit of pole hose and a couple of clips for my poles it turns into a £50+ purchase.

I can stomach it ( to a degree) when your buying large or long life items like new poles or gutter vacs etc but its the small everyday spares and repair stuff that seems so ridiculous. A single Univalve is between 40 and 50 quid depending on where you get it. Great items and I wouldn't use anything else but come on, for what it is!

Like I say, I don't like to criticize and I have dealt with every major supplier of kit and have nothing but positive experiences but there is little denying we are taken for a bit of a ride with the markup of some stuff.
Unfortunately a £4.99 tds meter will not be quality control tested and nor will it have a baseline calibration.

Reference equipment, there are many avenues to venture down and you need to look outside of the window cleaning industry specific retailers for exactly the same accessories and ancillaries.

The prices have risen due to that brexit rubbish and import costs have gone up dramatically with a standard 40ft container costing upwards of 20K and that's just handling and plonking it on a boat.

Every industry is experiencing the same in prices and I'm sure you've put your prices up too.
We all need to respectfully raise our profitability to afford new equipment and the running costs of parts / spares should always be included within the pricing of every job we do

This thread is ridiculous! We all come on here banging on about how much money we make. But forbid the suppliers who create the equipment we use make any money! TDS meter for £5? No. Those things are junk and it’s been repeatedly posted about on here. But why don’t you just wait until a customer complains to change your resin. That’ll do you reputation wonders! But you’ll save £20.
And what about a univalve. A item which has been created specifically for our industry. It’s not used elsewhere, only for us. It’s a niche product. A product designed to be repeatedly used day in and day out. I’ve never had one fail on me. Granted, I only work part time, but still. You’re right though. Forget paying 2x average house cleans for one. That’s FAR too expensive.

Honestly go compare yourself to other industries. The equipment cost is not just higher, it’s repeated! I know a landscaper who can go through multiple high end lawn mowers a year. Those things aren’t cheap! And he pays it everytime. Cause he makes it back MANY times over. Our equipment is pittance in comparison. Now, granted, if you’re just starting out it’s still not a cheap buy in. But once you’re going? Seriously, stop complaining.

I agree prices of everything is extortionate but tds meters can be bought from reputable suppliers for £25-30 , be careful of stuff on eBay and Amazon as they are cheap for a reason cheap Chinese copies they aren’t accurate

One of the biggest problems we have is the vast majority of big window cleaning businesses, and suppliers, are from the same religion, that for obvious reasons aren't going to compete against each other.
Any new competitor isn't going to last long as the ranks will close. Currently we are fortunate, on the basis there's good money to be made, but when margins start to be squeezed the monopoly will be hard to justify

This thread is ridiculous! We all come on here banging on about how much money we make. But forbid the suppliers who create the equipment we use make any money! TDS meter for £5? No. Those things are junk and it’s been repeatedly posted about on here. But why don’t you just wait until a customer complains to change your resin. That’ll do you reputation wonders! But you’ll save £20.
And what about a univalve. A item which has been created specifically for our industry. It’s not used elsewhere, only for us. It’s a niche product. A product designed to be repeatedly used day in and day out. I’ve never had one fail on me. Granted, I only work part time, but still. You’re right though. Forget paying 2x average house cleans for one. That’s FAR too expensive.

Honestly go compare yourself to other industries. The equipment cost is not just higher, it’s repeated! I know a landscaper who can go through multiple high end lawn mowers a year. Those things aren’t cheap! And he pays it everytime. Cause he makes it back MANY times over. Our equipment is pittance in comparison. Now, granted, if you’re just starting out it’s still not a cheap buy in. But once you’re going? Seriously, stop complaining.
Can we delete this comment please. Before alex gardiner sees it and increases prices again 🤪 I do agree with you though

I knew I would get some grief but if you honestly think some things aren't simply overpriced then maybe you are a part of the problem? I'm not a fool. I understand overheads and profit, I run a business myself (don't we all?)

The TDS meter I mentioned. The EXACT SAME ONE can be had for less than £6 delivered. £42 plus delivery is ridiculous no matter how you try and defend it. It's not some super, calibrated one. It's the exact same make, design, everything. .

Like I said I purchase from most of the main retailers and the experience has always been positive and I'm not saying EVERYTHING falls into the overpriced category but once you factor in VAT and £5 delivery charges some spare rubber washers end up being silly money for what they.

Last edited:
I knew I would get some grief but if you honestly think some things aren't simply overpriced then maybe you are a part of the problem? I'm not a fool. I understand overheads and profit, I run a business myself (don't we all?)

The TDS meter I mentioned. The EXACT SAME ONE can be had for less than £6 delivered. £42 plus delivery is ridiculous no matter how you try and defend it. It's not some super, calibrated one. It's the exact same make, design, everything. .

Like I said I purchase from most of the main retailers and the experience has always been positive and I'm not saying EVERYTHING falls into the overpriced category but once you factor in VAT and £5 delivery charges some spare rubber washers end up being silly money for what they.
As above every business sector has this problem. And they all pass the cost down to the customer. I do agree with you that majority of stuff is over priced but shipping container costs and bulk buy is the main problem.

It all comes down to how much you need want an item but prices are only going to keep going up

With them constantly increasing prices of equipment it might reduce the amount off new start ups which reduces competition for all of us. I will just take better care of the equipment so it lasts longer when it does break down just buy the parts needed not a new machine. Ideally just buy the equipment you know lasts a long time, i.e Reel master.

Can we delete this comment please. Before alex gardiner sees it and increases prices again 🤪 I do agree with you though
Yeah cause the lad is known for rolling around in a Lamborghini! 🙄 Honestly with all the issues we have with major cooperations taking the mic, the fact people here are upset at what are small businesses just trying to stay afloat is infuriating. We’ve all seen the how companies are struggling to survive & are being brought up by one another. If margins are that big why isn’t everyone selling equipment!

🤣 There is no way on this earth that the same tds meter is selling for £6 this one looks exactly like the genuine ones sold for around £30.00 there is a very good reason for the difference in price one is made for £2 in China and won't give an accurate reading, the other isn't made for £2 and will give an accurate reading, the quality is reflected in the price.

Prices have doubled across the board in many industries, 18 months I had a new kitchen fitted the price to fit the same kitchen of the same spec is double what we paid back then, this is near enough exactly the same for everything, our industry isn't the only one getting hit with higher prices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414-094519.png
    Screenshot_20240414-094519.png
    453.9 KB · Views: 0

Ok let’s tackle this in two steps.

1. This TDS meter. Please link it. Because A) a £6 Amazon meter, even if it says HM Digital, is a knock off. Currently Daqua has one for sell, £23 inc VAT & Delivery.
(2nd one down)

2. ‘Once you add VAT & delivery’. VAT is vat. I can’t claim it back, which is a pain, but it is what it is and suppliers need to charge it. Speak to your MP if you feel it’s unfair.
Delivery costs are out of the suppliers hands. They have skyrocketed across the board. Suppliers in other industries (not window cleaning) we use charge a lot more for delivery, and they often aren’t making money, just simply passing along the cost. You are moving something across country. That costs money. Even the Royal Mail have been putting their prices up for years.

There is more used equipment for sale on Ebay than there was a few years back. Used lots was around 300 ish now touching 500 items..

With them constantly increasing prices of equipment it might reduce the amount off new start ups which reduces competition for all of us. I will just take better care of the equipment so it lasts longer when it does break down just buy the parts needed not a new machine. Ideally just buy the equipment you know lasts a long time, i.e Reel master.
No but that equipment should be cheap! Even if it’s well manufactured & had hundreds of man hours put into it!

I was an early adopter of the Powerup 3D. That reel had a TON of problems. It was infuriating. But credit to them, Waterworks sorted them all for me. I doubt they actually ever made money on my order, since they replaced the complete reel and had to send us all sorts of spares. But they did good and it’s worked flawlessly for over 2 years. That service and commitment costs money. Why should these lads bother with all this hard work if not for the profit? You may as well work in McDs.

Sorry to circle back to this comment but it’s just your last point.

You’ve always had a positive experience. And you obviously like the equipment. So what exactly is the issue? Do you not think these hard working folk should get some of the cake too?

Honestly with all the other ways we’re getting screwed by billion pound monopolies, be it fuel, energy, vehicle repairs (look at the state of our roads), food, house prices, etc, why go after small suppliers who, in your own words, give you a positive experience?

May i add since covid prices have gone wild.

A container from China pre covid was around £2000 then covid hit they where around £8000.

I'm led to believe they've hone back down in price now

Back