Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Mistakes-Learning lessons.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Herm

Slightly different topic, but after this weeks jobs this really got me thinking as to what I'm doing wrong and lessons I'm learning from. First lesson for me is offering little things to be done on the side whilst on the job, the old "can you just spray x, whilst you're here". Not only does this take longer than the 1 minute they expect, you never get anything in return.
I had one big job this week & last minute she asked if I could spray over the trampoline, it was next to the decking so I said yeah ok, though my hose couldn't quite reach and I was ****** if I was going to drag the pw out of the van to spray just to spray it. I messaged afterwards saying the hose wouldn't reach I was literally a few metres short so couldn't do the trampoline, well this has resulted in her firstly withholding payment then asking for a discount as I didn't do it!!!! I had already done her front house wall and side wall which was very dirty (all again free). Anyhow, just my rant of the week and major lesson learnt. If they want extra, they will be paying for it or I'll say no.

Normally I do go above and beyond, though now it will be exactly what the customer has asked for an no more.

It's always the customers who ask the most that are the least appreciative!

Maybe when you quote add those extras you can see need doing to the price but don't tell the custy, then while doing the job you can say oh I spotted that x needed doing so I just did that for you - no additional charge :)
You are happy as you already charged for it and they think they got a freebee. OK so you can't always guess what they might ask you to do as a 'while you are here' type job but might be worth a try.
Alternatively when quoting ask about everything you can see if they want that done :) Then you know exactly what is needed and price accordingly and if any extras you can legitimately say 'you said you didn't want me to quote for that' but I can price it up if you want?

Slightly different topic, but after this weeks jobs this really got me thinking as to what I'm doing wrong and lessons I'm learning from. First lesson for me is offering little things to be done on the side whilst on the job, the old "can you just spray x, whilst you're here". Not only does this take longer than the 1 minute they expect, you never get anything in return.
I had one big job this week & last minute she asked if I could spray over the trampoline, it was next to the decking so I said yeah ok, though my hose couldn't quite reach and I was ****** if I was going to drag the pw out of the van to spray just to spray it. I messaged afterwards saying the hose wouldn't reach I was literally a few metres short so couldn't do the trampoline, well this has resulted in her firstly withholding payment then asking for a discount as I didn't do it!!!! I had already done her front house wall and side wall which was very dirty (all again free). Anyhow, just my rant of the week and major lesson learnt. If they want extra, they will be paying for it or I'll say no.

Normally I do go above and beyond, though now it will be exactly what the customer has asked for an no more.
This made me smile I had a customer years ago say “ while you have the brush in the air doing the windows above the conservatory just give the roof a quick rub “ I replied to give the roof a quick rub will be a further £60 needless to say he is now an ex customer ??? , don’t mind doing a small job as a freebie now and then but certainly not a big filthy conservatory roof .

This is where you should have a copy of what you've quoted to do. If it's only a few windows or conny ròof then not much to worry about. With the bigger jobs you need to put everything, that you're doing, in writing in the quote.

This is where you should have a copy of what you've quoted to do. If it's only a few windows or conny ròof then not much to worry about. With the bigger jobs you need to put everything, that you're doing, in writing in the quote.
Exactly what I do
I have a template and I write in customers details and work to be done etc for those big type jobs

Maybe when you quote add those extras you can see need doing to the price but don't tell the custy, then while doing the job you can say oh I spotted that x needed doing so I just did that for you - no additional charge :)
You are happy as you already charged for it and they think they got a freebee. OK so you can't always guess what they might ask you to do as a 'while you are here' type job but might be worth a try.
Alternatively when quoting ask about everything you can see if they want that done :) Then you know exactly what is needed and price accordingly and if any extras you can legitimately say 'you said you didn't want me to quote for that' but I can price it up if you want?
Absolutely this. My estimates are always super-detailed so there’s no doubt on either side what is and isn’t included.

Just did a raised deck. Brick walls looked awful. Covered in moss and dirt so I did them at the same time for free. Made sure they knew it was a freebie. They were over the moon with the attention to detail and ‘free’ work. Took me about ten minutes extra. If they asked for it it’s extra and I tell them in advance it’s chargeable. Otherwise it’s just a feel-good bonus.

Didn’t stop me undercharging another client last week for building some steps. Quoted it months ago at £1,140. Requoted it again recently with some other stuff and pasted it into a new document, managing to not paste the correct price. Under-charged by £300. I still honoured it. Just cried a bit as I did so. Win some lose some and all that.

When I first started I used to get so annoyed when customers asked for can you just clean the garage door too or clean that glass table quickly but was too worried to say no in case i lost them.or upset them. But then talking to another window cleaner who said you cant walk into the supermarket and just say at the check out I will take these bits for free because that's not how it works. So from that point when anyone asks for a "little quick extra job"i instantly say yep of course I can that will just be an extra whatever ££.. done if theybwantbit done its extra money and makes it clear straight away I'm not using my time and water and equipment to do stuff for free for them

very good advice. It's silly things like this that starting out give me a headache. It's all a learning curve and I get that, though it's so annoying. I know for next time what I'll be doing.

Oh, I had a copy of what I quoted for and it was the trampoline lol. She thought as I said yes to it, it meant it was now in the quote lol. My mistake, I should've said no really, but in all honesty she caught me on the hop and I wasn't really listening to her when I agreed.

Oh, I had a copy of what I quoted for and it was the trampoline lol. She thought as I said yes to it, it meant it was now in the quote lol. My mistake, I should've said no really, but in all honesty she caught me on the hop and I wasn't really listening to her when I agreed.
So she's got no grounds not to pay the full price. Just resend the quote and ask for full payment. Don't be scared to insist on monies owed

very good advice. It's silly things like this that starting out give me a headache. It's all a learning curve and I get that, though it's so annoying. I know for next time what I'll be doing.
I've only been going 9 months and one thing I have learned is you have to come across as confident. I don't mean cocky, but present confidence to the customer but also having confidence that you can do the job! Assess the job, tell them what you are quoting for and check that's what they want, then present your quote. If they don't like the price just say you have my quote and my number, just give me a call if you want me to book you in. With windows I have given quotes that have been refused at the time but 2 months later they called to book me in!!!

yeah totally agree, I think it's something I'm getting better at. I am quite confident or give that impression, though my downfall is trying to please and going above and beyond. I do find it hard saying no, this is something I'm deffo changing going forward.

yeah totally agree, I think it's something I'm getting better at. I am quite confident or give that impression, though my downfall is trying to please and going above and beyond. I do find it hard saying no, this is something I'm deffo changing going forward.
It might be easier, if you want to, is to say if you have time you will try and do it as you have another job, pick up from school, dental appointment etc etc to do as well.

When I first started I used to get so annoyed when customers asked for can you just clean the garage door too or clean that glass table quickly but was too worried to say no in case i lost them.or upset them. But then talking to another window cleaner who said you cant walk into the supermarket and just say at the check out I will take these bits for free because that's not how it works. So is that they from that point when anyone asks for a "little quick extra job"i instantly say yep of course I can that will just be an extra whatever ££.. done if theybwantbit done its extra money and makes it clear straight away I'm not using my time and water and equipment to do stuff for free for them
Yes , you're spot on and the supermarket analogy is a good one. The thing is with these people that they deliberately don't mention it when you quote for the job with the intention of springing it on you when you're doing it specifically to get it for free. They want to rip us off and it's blatantly dishonest in a way. And they're already only paying what is a relatively nominal amount for the window cleaning

Latest Posts

Back