Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

wenson

Hi. Not a windie cleaner, well at least not any more, after 39 years self employed trad I retired a year ago but still clean my own windows. About 3 years domestic and rest was shops for bread & butter including Tesco metro & superstore every day + monthly commercials. I was using a a jeff brimble set up for the odd fascia and 1st floor windows as no point in investing loads of cash for the amount of time I had b4 retiring.

Anyway had a disaster with my trusty fishing pole as it got squished under my car wheels as I did not notice it had fallen over. I am now since it is near xmas going to treat myself to 18ft SLX with soft/medium xtreme 26cm sill brush. I will also get a tubeless kit but still use my yellow all weather gardiners hose. I will next year get a exceed innovation univalve with either the yellow hose they recommend or some orange hose from someone. Then again since I am only cleaning my own house and the series 21 on/off tap is only a few feet away it may not be worth it.
I have ditched m r/osmosis and now fill up 2 x 25 litre containers from Spotless water 5 mins drive away for under £4 and much more convenient. No point being a account holder but do not like the way £15 is pending on your card until spotless get their money.
I was also of thinking of buying next year a gardiners quick-loq single jet holder for spraying chemicals onto g/f/s first. I clean my g/f/s every year but with the stiffish brush I had and just tap water it was not always a good job. No point buying backpack for spraying chemicals so may spray perhaps virosol through my shurfow pump. I have read various posts how it ruins your pump, it does not ruin your pump but I thought since I am only using it once do as someone said flush it out with about 25 litres of fresh water. I have tried as an experiment using a garden sprayer but it is old and does not reach the g/f/s unless I have a long pair of steps or a ladder. It is like choosing a pole hose, how long is a bit of string.

Hi. Not a windie cleaner, well at least not any more, after 39 years self employed trad I retired a year ago but still clean my own windows. About 3 years domestic and rest was shops for bread & butter including Tesco metro & superstore every day + monthly commercials. I was using a a jeff brimble set up for the odd fascia and 1st floor windows as no point in investing loads of cash for the amount of time I had b4 retiring.

Anyway had a disaster with my trusty fishing pole as it got squished under my car wheels as I did not notice it had fallen over. I am now since it is near xmas going to treat myself to 18ft SLX with soft/medium xtreme 26cm sill brush. I will also get a tubeless kit but still use my yellow all weather gardiners hose. I will next year get a exceed innovation univalve with either the yellow hose they recommend or some orange hose from someone. Then again since I am only cleaning my own house and the series 21 on/off tap is only a few feet away it may not be worth it.
I have ditched m r/osmosis and now fill up 2 x 25 litre containers from Spotless water 5 mins drive away for under £4 and much more convenient. No point being a account holder but do not like the way £15 is pending on your card until spotless get their money.
I was also of thinking of buying next year a gardiners quick-loq single jet holder for spraying chemicals onto g/f/s first. I clean my g/f/s every year but with the stiffish brush I had and just tap water it was not always a good job. No point buying backpack for spraying chemicals so may spray perhaps virosol through my shurfow pump. I have read various posts how it ruins your pump, it does not ruin your pump but I thought since I am only using it once do as someone said flush it out with about 25 litres of fresh water. I have tried as an experiment using a garden sprayer but it is old and does not reach the g/f/s unless I have a long pair of steps or a ladder. It is like choosing a pole hose, how long is a bit of string.
Much is Spotless charging you a litre of pure? thanks

@wenson are you fully retired and this is just for cleaning your own windows and fascias at home?

If you have a conservatory or any awkward angle windows then an SLX is great, but if you have a normal size and shape house a CLX will probably be sufficient as you aren't using it alot.

As for a chemical for gfs, I only do the very occasional one so I use virosol or something similar (Screwfix no nonsense degreaser used to be good). You can easily mix this with tap water in the backpack and gently scrub the gutters. Then when you're finished just flush it through with some pure water.

If you think you'll end up doing more than this - or even working a bit again - then an SLX is a bit lighter and easier to control than a CLX.

As for spotless water. I use it occasionally and it's very good. The account is really only a login and a key fob and you can top up online. I do this and leave about £5 on it incase I ever need it. I like the key fob as you just touch it on the keypad and put a pin number in. No need to take your credit/debit card out. The reason they pre-authorise more money is the same as the pay at pump petrol stations as they can't wait until you've filled up incase your card declines, so they reserve an amount from your card. It's just a safety thing for them. They'll only actually take what you've spent.

Last edited by a moderator:
No point being a account holder but do not like the way £15 is pending on your card until spotless get their money.
Seems strange to have a larger amount pending, at least you weren't like someone I read about last year who went to an Asda petrol station and thought after filling up they were only getting charged £1 for filling their car up as they only have £1 pending he went back and filled up two other family members cars and of course got charged the full amount in excess of £100 :ROFLMAO:

As you're only doing your own house you seem to be going a bit OTT on the likes of Univalves. Just mix your degreaser in a bucket of water and dip your brush in and dry scrub. To save water just nip your pole hose.
I did read that petrol stations and like do take a pending amout like spotless just in case your card is declined but all was good. I think I might chose the slx over the clx only for the fact it is less wipy from what I read although at 18 ft it may not be a problem with xtreme brush. Weight wise there is hardly any diffrence in weight and as you say it may be overkill as I will only from now on be cleaning my own windows. My fishing pole had a brush that was 355g even though I had reduced the weight. It was wipy as buggery and I do not want to go down the same road. I think also dipping a brush in some cleaner and wiping it on g/f/s may also be the way to go as I have seen on youtube windies doing this. Doing this on my old fish pole and heavy brush would like trying to lift a brick up Like the univalve for just my house also could be a overkill as well. I always have 2 x 25 litre containers which even though I clean my garage doors & windows I still have loads left. To be really honest I hardly turn the water off when going from one window to the next upstairs on one side of the house. When I do the downstairs I turn water off as I change to a small 4 foot pole. Thanks for all you input

Back