Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can A Brush Be Too Light

WCF

Help Support WCF:

bluemonkey

can a brush be too light, as i got some light brushes but i feel they dont clean as well as some of my heavy ones, does any one else find this

How do you think they make the brush lighter?

Less stock, less bristles, less cleaning power.

I still use a extreme for 99% of my work

Well today I took off the extreme mixed and put on a extreme soft. Seemed to clean better. Just a bit slower.

Alex has for some new brushes out this year. So can't wait for them.

can a brush be too light, as i got some light brushes but i feel they dont clean as well as some of my heavy ones, does any one else find this
At the expense of losing cleaning bristles bluemonkey, yes; 300g brush or a 200g brush 100g difference in weight is nothing, since a window cleaner can easily apply 20 x that difference of 100g in weight (2kg easy work) through pressure when cleaning with a great brush, and 60 x (6kg hard work) when cleaning with the worse type of brush.

Some of the worse and most common problems brushes have that are used for window cleaning are - not enough bristles, no easy spread of the bristles on the glass, a poor spread on the glass with lots of gaps between the bristles and an oversized brush stock.

You are probably using brushes with 1 or more of these common failings.

Richard

Extreme brushes will clean just as well as any other brush on the market, they just take a lot longer to do it, if you stick with Gardiner’s brushes use the superlight avoid the extreme brushes unless you don’t mind losing a lot of time, very slow brush to use, very small amount of bristles in technically a very large stock for that amount of bristles. Personally I would lose 1-2 hours per day and easily a full days working time over a week.

As for poles, stiffer more rigid pole bluemonkey, the sooner you can push out any flex the pole has, then you have immediate and more control over the brush, easier and faster to clean. All applied pressure then goes directly through the brush head, so any scrubbing you also need to do is much more effective.

Go for the most rigid carbon fibre pole; ignore any slight weight difference between poles.

Richard

I suppose the comments posted above about the Xtreme brushes would have to be classed as a subjective matter of personal opinion not statistically tested fact and based on user working method and personal preference.

I work with all different types of brushes, both within the Gardiner range and those made by other firms.

In our work van which brushes do I and my sub-contractors end up going back to each time after testing other brushes? The Xtreme Medium Mixed. Why would we do this if it slowed us down? We get through a lot of work when out for the day and our one aim is to get this work down as efficiently as possible without wasting time. We find that the Xtreme brush (in our personal opinion and subjective findings) is the fastest brush to use and allows us to work and clean noticeably faster than other brushes (including the standard Super-Lite brushes).

So can a brush be too light? Not really as long as the brush type, bristle type, stock shape, cleaning ability & brush speed suit your cleaning method and work type.

This is why we have been working hard to reduce the weight of the Xtreme range even further. We have a new Xtreme II brush which is about to come into stock and this features 35% less weight (105g) , but with improved cleaning ability. In testing that we have been carrying out over the last 3 or 4 months with these brushes they have easily become our new favourite brushes.

However having said all of the above, defending lighter brushes, brush preference has always been a very subjective and personal thing. I have always noticed that a brush that one person loves another person just cannot get on with. The best advice I can give you is to try out lots of different brush types and brands. I personally tried about 15 different brushes out as a WFP window cleaner before I began supplying - this was purely for my own personal use and trying to work out what I really liked. The brush you end up with will need to suit not only your weight preference, but also your cleaning taste and the way you work.

Of course when you switch to hot water use the whole game changes and so do your brush requirements!

Alex is that an exclusive for WCF /emoticons/tongue.png

As you have given some stats away !!!

I will hold off buying some brushes as need to re stock soon

Alex is that an exclusive for WCF /emoticons/tongue.png

As you have given some stats away !!!

I will hold off buying some brushes as need to re stock soon
It is!
We will be bringing out the following:

New Xtreme Medium-Mixed

New Xtreme (Haven't decided the name yet) - but a superior scrubbing brush which uses partially flocked bristles and semi-absorbent bristles for maximum scrubbing power.

New Xtreme Stiff - for those who like more rigidity of bristles or using hot water

New Xtreme Wide Medium Mixed

It is!

New Xtreme Medium-Mixed

New Xtreme (Haven't decided the name yet) - but a superior scrubbing brush which uses partially flocked bristles and semi-absorbent bristles for maximum scrubbing power.

New Xtreme Stiff - for those whose like more rigidity of bristles or using hot water

Fantastic news!!! Will be ordering all of those. Nom nom

Nom

I suppose the comments posted above about the Xtreme brushes would have to be classed as a subjective matter of personal opinion not statistically tested fact and based on user working method and personal preference.

I work with all different types of brushes, both within the Gardiner range and those made by other firms.

In our work van which brushes do I and my sub-contractors end up going back to each time after testing other brushes? The Xtreme Medium Mixed. Why would we do this if it slowed us down? We get through a lot of work when out for the day and our one aim is to get this work down as efficiently as possible without wasting time. We find that the Xtreme brush (in our personal opinion and subjective findings) is the fastest brush to use and allows us to work and clean noticeably faster than other brushes (including the standard Super-Lite brushes).

So can a brush be too light? Not really as long as the brush type, bristle type, stock shape, cleaning ability & brush speed suit your cleaning method and work type.

This is why we have been working hard to reduce the weight of the Xtreme range even further. We have a new Xtreme II brush which is about to come into stock and this features 35% less weight (105g) , but with improved cleaning ability. In testing that we have been carrying out over the last 3 or 4 months with these brushes they have easily become our new favourite brushes.

However having said all of the above, defending lighter brushes, brush preference has always been a very subjective and personal thing. I have always noticed that a brush that one person loves another person just cannot get on with. The best advice I can give you is to try out lots of different brush types and brands. I personally tried about 15 different brushes out as a WFP window cleaner before I began supplying - this was purely for my own personal use and trying to work out what I really liked. The brush you end up with will need to suit not only your weight preference, but also your cleaning taste and the way you work.

Of course when you switch to hot water use the whole game changes and so do your brush requirement
the set up i am using at the moment, is clx 18 ish, a cut down carbon gooseneck and a extreme (flat white the small one) i like this set up, but some times feels like its a bit too soft on windows, as i have to go over things a few times, but when i use some of my heavy brushes, some times it doesnt feel right, but is this becasue i have got use to the lightness of the extreme

that is why i thought if i get a better pole, will this make the heavier brushes better, or am i better of still with the light ones

the reason i am asking is i am upgrading all my stuff in the summer, so trying to get the best set up for me

Yes monkey, I go along with your logic. If a pole is heavy or whippy ( or both) life can be a disaster. If you get a good light rigid pole such as slx, I find the brush weight becomes inconsequential as long as the pole can cope with it.I now use slx with tecbuk for everyday use, on some first cleans use the radius medium. If I use one straight before another I can feel the difference in weight for sure but i don't get nostalgic when I switch back.

the set up i am using at the moment, is clx 18 ish, a cut down carbon gooseneck and a extreme (flat white the small one) i like this set up, but some times feels like its a bit too soft on windows, as i have to go over things a few times, but when i use some of my heavy brushes, some times it doesnt feel right, but is this becasue i have got use to the lightness of the extreme

that is why i thought if i get a better pole, will this make the heavier brushes better, or am i better of still with the light ones

the reason i am asking is i am upgrading all my stuff in the summer, so trying to get the best set up for me
It may be that a more solid (heavier), denser brush is better for your style of working. A more rigid pole would certainly make working with a heavier brush easier, but a good brush will be a good brush on any pole.

Have you tried a denser bristled brush like the Tecbuk brush or the Vikan Flocked brush - http://www.wfp-brush.co.uk/ and http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=168_118&products_id=887

These are a good bit heavier than you are used to but would provide a more solid on the glass feel.

If you were looking for something with a similar feel from our range then either the Super-Lite Flocked or the Super-Lite Medium Mixed are very fast scrubbing brushes, denser bristles and are still very light - http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/the-super-lite-brush-dual-trim-flocked-standard-splay.html and http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/the-super-lite-brush-dual-trim-medium-mixed-bristles.html

Oh, and on a personal note, don't feel I have as much control with the brush to light, find I over waft, if you get my drift

i have got the mixed dual trim and i like it, i use to love the white flat trim, super light, (not the extreme) but dont think you sell them any more, one day i will find a set up i like, but am moving over to hot in the summer, so will change it all then

i have got the mixed dual trim and i like it, i use to love the white flat trim, super light, (not the extreme) but dont think you sell them any more, one day i will find a set up i like, but am moving over to hot in the summer, so will change it all then
Hot water makes every thing better blue monkey.

Hot water makes the brushes feel like silk sometimes on some glass I use a medium mixed dual trim radius brush nearly all the time fitted to a carbon gooseneck. I think I might buy a flocked gardiner brush and compare it to my hedgehog brush. I could do with a brush to clean street lamp poles that was round.

It is!

New Xtreme Medium-Mixed

New Xtreme Stiff - for those who like more rigidity of bristles or using hot water

Hi Alex. When will these be going on sale? I need a new brush but might hold off until these cone out.

Latest Posts

Back