Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New to Pressure washing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hello I have purchased a Honda GX160 pressure washer and will be looking to run this alongside my oven cleaning business. I will be washing driveways and patios initially, however I am unsure how to price a job. I can see you can use google earth to measure up the square footage and then there is an app pressure washing which allows you to enter your price per m2 and include kiln sand etc. It would be really helpful to learn more about pricing a job. Many thanks

Hello I have purchased a Honda GX160 pressure washer and will be looking to run this alongside my oven cleaning business. I will be washing driveways and patios initially, however I am unsure how to price a job. I can see you can use google earth to measure up the square footage and then there is an app pressure washing which allows you to enter your price per m2 and include kiln sand etc. It would be really helpful to learn more about pricing a job. Many thanks
I would only ever price by yourself physically being there in person.

The best way is to get yourself a measuring wheel and or a laser measure that has the capability to measured area

Have a Google search of your local area and see what your potential counterparts are charging or search the forum for previous threads.

With having a Honda based GX160 machine which from memory is around 5.5hp 12Lpm you'll have an entry level machine but you may struggle on larger jobs due to it's output volume and pressure on tough jobs

With regards to sand you need to shop around, look at builders merchants DIY stores such as b&q, wickes etc and work out pricing in volume not forgetting profit

Do you have a flat surface cleaner and turbo nozzle?

Thanks for the reply it is much appreciated. Can you recommend a laser good enough for the job that some of the boys use. I guess you charge a price per metre from there? I have a dirt buster lance and soft wash. I have jobs to go and price just unsure of the best way? Thanks

You will struggle to run an FSC effectively with the machine you have. Most people charge around £3.50 - £4.50 per M2 for cleaning block and resanding it. Find out what your competitors charge and check water supply and drainage when you quote job.

For instance a job has come in for block paving front is 118.44 m2 and rear block is 83.86 from google earth. So in total 202.3 m2. At £3.00per m2 this comes to £606.90 without sanding. Is that around the correct figures. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

Thanks for the reply it is much appreciated. Can you recommend a laser good enough for the job that some of the boys use. I guess you charge a price per metre from there? I have a dirt buster lance and soft wash. I have jobs to go and price just unsure of the best way? Thanks
Just another vital piece of information for you.

Be sure to take out sufficient cover with a public liability insurance policy to cover the services you offer

I personally use Alexander Swan

Hi thanks to everyone who took the time out to respond, as for pricing an area that is 79m2 if I multiplie it by £3.00 it = £237.00 seems pricey to me and it is composite grey decking?

Hi thanks to everyone who took the time out to respond, as for pricing an area that is 79m2 if I multiplie it by £3.00 it = £237.00 seems pricey to me and it is composite grey decking?
When you start out everything is trial and error based until you are able to define your trade, price structure, quality control and profitability

When starting it's difficult to judge what customers will pay for a decent job. You might find that that's an acceptable price but you may not. It depends on area, how you come across (scruffy jeans, dirty van vs branded clean workwear, clean sign written van etc), if you can explain in a professional way that earns the customers trust etc.

Recently my mum had a number of people quote for PW of her front concrete and rear block paving. She said 1 company somehow thought she was closer and drove to provide a quote, when she said it was too much he moaned about the drive and then started offering discounts if he could do it there and then.... That concerned her that he was pressurising her so she said no and eventually paid more to someone she said looked nice and respectable and smiled and was helpful!

It's not just about the price, it's the service you can offer and if the customer likes you!

When starting it's difficult to judge what customers will pay for a decent job. You might find that that's an acceptable price but you may not. It depends on area, how you come across (scruffy jeans, dirty van vs branded clean workwear, clean sign written van etc), if you can explain in a professional way that earns the customers trust etc.

Recently my mum had a number of people quote for PW of her front concrete and rear block paving. She said 1 company somehow thought she was closer and drove to provide a quote, when she said it was too much he moaned about the drive and then started offering discounts if he could do it there and then.... That concerned her that he was pressurising her so she said no and eventually paid more to someone she said looked nice and respectable and smiled and was helpful!

It's not just about the price, it's the service you can offer and if the customer likes you!
Thank you, they sound as if they were trying it on and very unprofessional. My van is all signed with my current business in addition to pressure washing. I always appear smart in my branded work clothes and never pressure the customer. As for composite I think I would use the lighter of the two lances as not to cause any damage. I would be happy to take £150 it is a very affluent area but the decking is hardly dirty.

Thank you, they sound as if they were trying it on and very unprofessional. My van is all signed with my current business in addition to pressure washing. I always appear smart in my branded work clothes and never pressure the customer. As for composite I think I would use the lighter of the two lances as not to cause any damage. I would be happy to take £150 it is a very affluent area but the decking is hardly dirty.
If you are happy with £150 then that's up to you, I assume you aren't intending using chemicals - maybe cover yourself by saying if it needs a chemical treatment then it will be £X if not £150. Remember you are using fuel, service costs, wear and tear and your pay to cover. It does of course depend on how much you need the money or want the experience or images.
It's not like window cleaning where if you give too low a price you either stick with it for a good few months or have to admit you made a mistake.
If you are new to pw it's also a learning curve.
As far as I am aware always start off with widest fan as that's lowest pressure and if you need more pressure change to less of a fan if you get my meaning. If you start with a turbo then you have the possibility of causing damage as it's the most powerful. Once you damage a surface you are in trouble but starting at widest and working up as required is the safer way to go - sorry if you already know this.

Great points

Be careful with composite grey decking it can be a nightmare we did one a couple of years ago thought it would be a walk in the park and take around an hour , ended up over half a day and I still wasn’t happy with it although the customer was we are doing it again this month ime dreading it ti be honest

Back