Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking of starting a new pressure washing business- advice needed

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nickshangs

I’m sure this has been touched on but I’m thinking of changing my strategy, was initially thinking of starting a WFP window cleaning business but having second thoughts now and realising there is less competition for starting a pressure washing business instead!

I’d be running this business along side my wood flooring business I own of which I don’t actually do any of the work myself y but I have 2 fitters, so this would be part time, perhaps 2-3 days a week so would want suggestions for a machine that could handle say 12-15 hours per week. Something that’s user friendly but robust and can be used often. I’m leaning towards petrol, I’d probably need to learn how to re sand stones and tiles as I’m guessing it’s part of the job ( is that something all power washers, need to do as part of the job? )

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated, I’ve actually installed the bark app which is an app to get new work, I placed an ad for both window cleaning and pressure washing and I’m getting around 20 enquiries per week for pressure washing and around 5-6 for window cleaning and this has been what’s triggered my interest?

I placed an ad for both window cleaning and pressure washing and I’m getting around 20 enquiries per week for pressure washing and around 5-6 for window cleaning and this has been what’s triggered my interest?
I know nothing about PW work but the difference is window cleaning is monthly / 6 weekly and PW is annual / bi annual so your 5-6 window cleaning enquiries could generate more annual revenue than the PW work

We are primarily window cleaners and do pressure washing as an add on , we find this time of the year enquiries are high but it’s seasonal very short window of enquiries, but if you can get the work then go for it ,obviously the other point is there is a big difference between getting enquiries and converting them into actual paying jobs many expect it to be a cheap price and they dont want to pay to much or that’s what happens here , we do far more softwashing at a much higher profit margin as Jo bloggs cannot do that with his karcher ???.
petrol pw is definitely the way forward minimum flow rate of 15 ltr preferably 21 ltr will be quicker and easier .
just a thought why isn’t there that many doing PW in your area ? Not enough work? People won’t pay a decent price ? Just look at all avenues before committing to spending a lot of money on kit .

You think there ain't many doing PW in your area then the gardeners and handymen and travellers all come out like spring flowers at once all charging well below the going rate and not having a clue and thinking they can just blast the :poop: out of things,

I went to a customer a few weeks ago the job was block paving and travellers had done a terrible job of it plus they damaged the windows by removing the stain from the wooden windows in areas which had all been stained last year and also lifted the lead on the old and fairly new PVC windows and even lifted the surface lacquer on a PVC panel and door,

Another job a guy was doing with a Karcher one job didn't look any better than when he had started and the job over the road the patio had only been down around 3 years just cheap patterned concrete pavers and he had taken the patterned top off them completely

the damage caused would be in £100's to have repairs and replacements sorted those cheap jobs but the customer never realises their mistake until it's too late.

research research and more research, practice and practice some more. This site has everything you want and more and the advice on offer in invaluable.
Think very careful before splashing out thousands of pounds as the work you think that might be out there just might not be out there and you'll have lovely shiny equipment gathering dust. Sorry if it sounds like a negative post but it's not, far to often people start up and give it up within 6 months as they can't find the work.

Good luck!

If it’s a sideline and you’re happy with a bit of seasonal work only then go for it. I do it as a sideline to my main business and it’s decent money though I do it mainly for my regulars who are a fairly affluent crowd and don’t question prices as a rule. I’ve never really gone out looking for additional work and pushed jt to see what’s out there. I suspect I’d struggle to make it work full time.

It’s relatively cheap to set up. I have a Jetmac 15ltr machine, and that plus all the kit you accumulate alongside it I’ve probably got £2.5-£3k in it. Excluding van obviously.

Resanding is an essential service to offer and if you’re happy to then offer repairs also. It’ll be mainly re-pointing work. Possibly some relaying of dropped blocks if you want to.

If you join the UK pressure washing page on Facebook there are loads on there who pressure wash all year round as its their dedicated business.

For me this week 4 days of 6 have invoved pressure washing, 4 of 6 again next week and 5 of 5 the week after.
Resanding block paving is automatically pert of the service as far as I'm concerned and I offer clean/ resand / seal and all my customers want it. I can't remember the last time a customer didn't also want their block paving resanded and sealed. They sometimes ask about why it's necessary and I don't push anything on people. I just tell them truthfully that the sand is an integral part of the block paving design and stucture and what the sand does. And that sealing it helps bind the sand together and so holds it in place within the joints for longer.
I also seal alot of sandstone patios and very often find it's the customer who brings up the subject of sealing and I'm happy to talk to them about it. It doesn't matter to me whether or not they want their drive or patio sealed. It's just another service option.
The subject of pros and cons of sealants is another matter entirely.
But what I don't get involved in is if the customer wants a gloss or wet look finish. None of them ever end up looking as per the advertising and I don't want the blame o I tell them I'll do it for them but they need to choose (and buy) the sealer they want used. But fortunately high shine paving is not in demand (unless it's black limestone)..
I also do repointing, decking restoration (or whatever term you want to use), perhaps the odd repair / sunken blocks / loose slabs etc.

And this time of year it is full on but I still struggle to see how people survive on it all year round. There just isn't the demand for basic p/w services and forgetting the extras like sealing....and btw use sealers with the utmost care, in dry weather, on dry surfaces and as per the instructions and spray it onto block paving don't roll it.

I’m sure this has been touched on but I’m thinking of changing my strategy, was initially thinking of starting a WFP window cleaning business but having second thoughts now and realising there is less competition for starting a pressure washing business instead!

I’d be running this business along side my wood flooring business I own of which I don’t actually do any of the work myself y but I have 2 fitters, so this would be part time, perhaps 2-3 days a week so would want suggestions for a machine that could handle say 12-15 hours per week. Something that’s user friendly but robust and can be used often. I’m leaning towards petrol, I’d probably need to learn how to re sand stones and tiles as I’m guessing it’s part of the job ( is that something all power washers, need to do as part of the job? )

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated, I’ve actually installed the bark app which is an app to get new work, I placed an ad for both window cleaning and pressure washing and I’m getting around 20 enquiries per week for pressure washing and around 5-6 for window cleaning and this has been what’s triggered my interest?

Hi Nick. If you are looking for a relatively cheap way of starting up. I have a van already set up and ready for work,for sale. I'm upgrading so selling my van and van mounted setup? Thanks Clive

Back