Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to speed up on the glass?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Guybrush

I am far too slow on the glass.

I have not learnt wfp from anyone so just watched a few videos online and been doing it how I think it should be done based on lots of videos, and got quickly shown the basics in Grimsby by pure freedom. I don't rinse on the glass mainly because I have the pump on 14 and am thinking maybe this is too low to rinse on the glass?? can the low setting effect the rinsing on the glass? I have the setting low because I will get through too much water otherwise.

Another thing is I go over the glass a few times this is because i'm not confident in the gardeners medium mixed dual trim brush can scrub everything off, never used a different brush so can't compare it but I understand it's a top brush. Anyway I have ordered the tecbuk hybrid with the boars hair all along the width which will hopefully have me going over the glass less but lets see.

I'm currently using nearly the whole 25 litres on the trolley just to do only the front of a double fronted house with bay windows :confused: lol i read of guys on here doing 3 house with that :confused: i'm fit and i can move fast so it is my way of doing it which is wrong.

Are the houses you're cleaning mingers? If they are you will use a lot of water. Your setting of 14 is just a dribble and of course you are going to be slow because you will be spending too long rinsing. Have you got a tap on your hose, that will help save water. I tend to use a Gardiners flocked dual trim for first cleans, with fan jets and I set the water at 60. A drop of neat Ecover on the brush helps on first cleans too.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the hype about one pass clean and no rinse using an Aerial brush. To rinse on the glass you have to have a good water flow, so you need to increase that, which I think you have to do anyway.

There should be no reason why you can't clean and rinse quickly which will save water. It is recognised that 2 passes is sufficient to clean properly and then rinse. There are time when you have to focus on a spot, say to remove a bird strike, but switch your water off whilst you attend to it.

The next house you do, do a quick 2 pass clean and rinse with a faster flow. Leave it and then go back to that window later and see what the results are.

My SIL whips through his work. I initially felt he wasn't cleaning properly as it used to take me much longer doing the same work. I inspected a lot of his work a few hours after he had cleaned, mostly without him knowing. I can say that I couldn't find fault with it.

The few complaints I got at first were because he was too quick. But I found no fault with his work quailty.

I tend to over clean.

For me I’ve found the following:

High flow = fast cleaning/rinsing (turn the water off when not needed)

Low flow = slow rinsing & not guaranteed good results especially on phobic glass.

It is also possible to actually use more water on a low flow as you can spend much more time trying to rinse the dirt off the glass & frames properly.

Same here. High flow good scrub with a neat rinse. If the waters relatively high then it's a lot quicker. I started out thinking the same if I put the flow down ill use less water and do more work but it just doesn't give the same results and slows you down big time. And @Smurf is right you end up balancing out on the amount of water you use due to time saved.

This is how much I have been using on maintenance cleans Tuffers. I do turn it up on the first cleans and use the ecover great tip that, yeah theres a tap on the hose, lol theres 2 actually. Ok my flow rate is obviously way too low. I'm going to step this up to 25?

I have not rinsed on the glass yet and have no jobs in tomorrow so will be practising that.

I've only had good feed back so far and i'm sure i'm over cleaning.

I used to have a low flow rate until about 3 months ago ,, now it's on 45 /50 on my pure freedom controller, using on average 2 more barrels per day , much quicker way of working

Good feedback just proves you are doing a good job :thumbsup:

This is how much I have been using on maintenance cleans Tuffers. I do turn it up on the first cleans and use the ecover great tip that, yeah theres a tap on the hose, lol theres 2 actually. Ok my flow rate is obviously way too low. I'm going to step this up to 25?
I have not rinsed on the glass yet and have no jobs in tomorrow so will be practising that.

I've only had good feed back so far and i'm sure i'm over cleaning.

I used to have a low flow rate until about 3 months ago ,, now it's on 45 /50 on my pure freedom controller, using on average 2 more barrels per day , much quicker way of working
I'm of the firm belief that there comes a point when you start to waste water when the flow is too high - never when rinsing but when cleaning/scrubbing.

But Guybrush has miles to go before he gets to that point.

Water saving is the biggest issue that trolley users have to 'conquer'. There is this perception that the less water you use the more you save. The other reason for this 'fear' of waste is that they often have a very limited supply of pure water.

The way I understand Guybrush's post is that he uses Ecover on first cleans and not maintenance cleans. If you are using Ecover on maintenance cleans then you are making it more difficult to remove that soap. You have to rinse more and you are going to struggle with washing the soap off with your low flow.

Spruce. You have hit the nail on the head bud , I use to think low flow . Save water . But all it was doing was slowing me down , I'm not saying rinse on the glass is for everyone but I've found I can rinse on the glass third of the way down the window then lift the brush off for the rest . I've got room in my van for the extra water and I can produce it as well .. Always on learning curve:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I only use ecover on first cleans. I have the van mount and only recently purchased a trolley as I need to go through peoples houses sometimes to get to the back, i've been testing the trolley out this week and I can only just get one side of a house done with the 25l barrel but it's too close to running out and the trolley has made me realise how slow I am and because I know exactly how much water i'm using. I will mainly be working from the van mount.

If I had the trolley controller on 45 I would probably only clean 4 windows lol.

I only use ecover on first cleans. I have the van mount and only recently purchased a trolley as I need to go through peoples houses sometimes to get to the back, i've been testing the trolley out this week and I can only just get one side of a house done with the 25l barrel but it's too close to running out and the trolley has made me realise how slow I am and because I know exactly how much water i'm using. I will mainly be working from the van mount.
If I had the trolley controller on 45 I would probably only clean 4 windows lol.

You not washing the brickwork as well. ONLY KIDDING. A barrel will last me at least a full normal house @45

One thing I learned when I used a trolley all the time was to start the furthest point away from your motor. The reason being is that it's a shorter walk back to your barrels in your vehicle if you run out of water.

Stick to the van mount when you can Guy, so much easier IMO.

I have Pure Freedom trolley, same Gardiner's brush as you, have my setting on 16 and can clean three four bedroom houses with one 25l barrel.

first cleans i give windows gd srub dont use ecover just pure, then clean them again

also clean all the frames too

any bird strikes soak dont scrub and scrub then go back and clean usually comes off

Been using wfp about four months now. My work is three weekly, so they are fairly clean. The average house 15-20 minutes

takes me 15 mins to do a semi but first cleans are at least half hour cause they awful an after that its a 15 min job clean them right at start and u will fly past them after,,

I clean first cleans twice do frame and glass rinse do the top windows in house then start at start and do glass . find it leaves bit a time for the annoying speckles of dirt to float out lol

I still can't get my head around how you can do that even on a 3 weekly round.

I have Pure Freedom trolley, same Gardiner's brush as you, have my setting on 16 and can clean three four bedroom houses with one 25l barrel.

Back