Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working out of a pick up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PC

Good morning all
I know this has been discussed before and I have read through all the previous comments.
My question is are there any window cleaners currently using a pick up for window cleaning.
How long have you been using a pick up?
Pros and cons?
What vehicle is it?
Size of tank?
I’m looking to put a tank (around 500l), pump, battery, 2 di’s, poles.
Is that all doable?
Pictures of set ups would be great.
I currently use a Transit Custom but in Spring will be moving to a new house where there is a covenant stating no commercial vehicles. My van is fully sign written front sides and back so sticks out like a sore thumb.
I know a pick up can also be deemed a commercial vehicle but I know that the neighbours have two of them so it shouldn’t be a problem. I probably won’t be able to sign write it which is a shame but to be honest I’m full with work as it is so don’t really need to drum up extra work. Should still get recommendations and walk ups to keep replacing the odd lost ones.
I also work predominantly rural so a pick up should work better than the custom in that respect.
Thanks in advance for any replies

My suggestion would be to remove the sign writing and have two dark windows fitted to each side (ie camper) to make it look like a people carrier.

I can't see a double cab pickup with a canopy on the back being a problem either, but running costs will be more.

There is a covenant in Guisborough on some estates that vans and caravans mustn't be parked on the property; vans can only be parked on the road, but no one obeys it, and I'm not sure who would police it either.

It is only ‘policed’ if a neighbour complains. They complain to the developer (who could still be in the area as they have planning in place for a future development but that has been waiting for over 10 years so may never get built). It’s the developer who then sends you a polite letter first. After that it becomes ‘legal’.
From my research though I think you’re right. Parked up on your own drive shouldn’t run anyone’s nose up the wrong way.
I’m just looking into the Idea of a pick up as to be honest if it’s gets too muddy, icy or for forbid snow then the transit struggles where I go

Honestly, I'd be surprised if you can fit a 500ltr tank plus two di's a reel and 2 poles, a 500ltr flat tank will almost fill the load bed,

I had a L200 for a few years with a 400ltr flat tank it filled the entire load bed in between the wheel arches and had a pump box down one side poles had to be placed diagonally across the top of the tank and my reel as I didn't want a canopy was disconnected after use and chucked on the back seats,

You need to think about the orientation of the tank regarding filling it and where the outlet is going to be. i

I'd happily be proved wrong on this!!

A pick up is very nice to drive but a pia as a works motor I'd have another one in a heartbeat, but not as a window cleaning motor,

Unless you went for an entire new system and a Facelift 425ltr compact system would fit in one plus the reel fitted on top, you'd have to check the dimensions, then where would you put the poles.

I've been working out of a VW Amarok for a few years.
350ltr tank 1 reel, 1 pole.
No filters (do all that in the garage).

I use magnetic signs that I take on and off as and when I want.

Very limited on space, and leaning over the tailgate can be a pain when sorting stuff out.
And also lifting things in and out can get a chore after a while (gutter vac etc) as you're picking things up a lot higher than a van.

But at the same I time I really prefer to drive it, it's great having 5 seats as it's my only vehicle for family etc, and it's good to have as I do a lot of rural work, farmhouses etc also, just like @Iron Giant says, filling it is tricky if you don't have canopy with pop up windows

@PC I've seen a window cleaner who uses a pickup. I think it's a Ford Ranger. Very smart it is too, almost navy blue in colour. It's sign written but if it wasn't I don't think you'd know it was commercial. He even has little leaflet holders on the side so you can take a flyer if you are walking past. I don't think he has DI vessels in it, but the tank is a decent size, at least 400 litres I would say. Because it has a proper row of back seats he also uses it as a standard family vehicle when there's no water in it. I'm not sure of the technical name for it, but rather than have it open at the back he has the proper roof top & windows solid canopy attachment that goes on the rear section, which has tinted glass anyway. Good luck with your house move mate ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. Really helpful.
So am I right in thinking that if I go down this route the best way would be to have the rear canopy and maybe get the tank fitted so it tucks over the wheel arches?
Should that give me more room in the back to put reel and di’s?

So am I right in thinking that if I go down this route the best way would be to have the rear canopy and maybe get the tank fitted so it tucks over the wheel arches?
That will mean finding someone to make you a bespoke tank which may or may not be easy E.M.P.F - www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk you need to know exactly what space you will have and try and work it from there, you need full access to everything otherwise you'll be crawling across the top the tank to get access to whatever you need

Ye, you'll need a canopy mate as there won't be enough space for everything if you just have a roll top cover.
I only use 350ltr tank and Gardiner slx 22 and they raise above the load bed line.

Ye, you'll need a canopy mate as there won't be enough space for everything if you just have a roll top cover.
I only use 350ltr tank and Gardiner slx 22 and they raise above the load bed line.
Thanks mate
Any chance you could send me a picture please of the back with everything in?
Cheers

That will mean finding someone to make you a bespoke tank which may or may not be easy E.M.P.F - www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk you need to know exactly what space you will have and try and work it from there, you need full access to everything otherwise you'll be crawling across the top the tank to get access to whatever you need
Found them yesterday and am now in contact with them
Cheers mate

Even if you get a tank made your going to need Mitsubishi L200 MK7 Hard Top|Canopy|SJS Side Opening r which are over £2,000 this is another fair whack of money

FaceLift® Compact 425 Litre Window Cleaning System - Window Cleaning Warehouse Ltd one of these has a place for a di vessel at the back it would possibly fit in the back of a truck but the height is potentially the issue.
Would a hard top negate the height issue? Ie would there be enough room to sit the reel on top of tank?
Appreciate your input by the way

Even if you get a tank made your going to need Mitsubishi L200 MK7 Hard Top|Canopy|SJS Side Opening r which are over £2,000 this is another fair whack of money

FaceLift® Compact 425 Litre Window Cleaning System - Window Cleaning Warehouse Ltd one of these has a place for a di vessel at the back it would possibly fit in the back of a truck but the height is potentially the issue.
Sorry just looked at the compact so can see reel on top. Will have to find out what the total height of tank and reel is so I know if it would fit under canopy

Would a hard top negate the height issue? Ie would there be enough room to sit the reel on top of tank?
Appreciate your input by the way
No idea you'll have to check, it's 54cm high including the height of the reel you'll need to depth of the load bed plus the height of the canopy.

Ive had a couple. I had a 500l tank in a navara with 2 reels and 2 poles but it had a canopy. Room for max 650 i would say if you get a custom tank.

As for working out of them, well they are good if just want one vehicle rather than a van and a car but they are a compromise. A worst of both worlds really. A few small annoyances but still they work.

Cons

- Small load area for long items
- expensive to run on fuel, tax and insurance
- not as secure as a van
- poor turning circle makes parking and manouvering at certain parts of the round a pita
- high seating position get a bit tiring jumping in and out all day
- not as nice to drive as a car or a van, bit wallowy like being on a boat

Pros

- double up as a car
- brilliant in winter in mud and ice
- looks good

Personally i think a van is better work vehicle and a car is nicer drive as a private vehicle.

They are only justified if you want to make use of the 4x4 such as working on building sites/farms or if you go camping/fishing/towing a caravan etc in your spare time.

But they do work and despite the niggles you can live with them if you really want one. I loved my trucks and every so often the urge to get another comes along im pretty sure one day i will have another.

Theres a chap local to me who has a hilux, he doesnt have a canopy just has a big custom tank that fills the entire load bed then has mounted 2 reels on top its left completely open. Looks a good idea but stops you being able to use the truck for anything else which to me defeats the point of having one.

Last edited:
If anyone has any pics of their pickup window cleaning setup I’d love to see it. This is a vechile I have considered in the past also.

Ive had a couple. I had a 500l tank in a navara with 2 reels and 2 poles but it had a canopy. Room for max 650 i would say if you get a custom tank.

As for working out of them, well they are good if just want one vehicle rather than a van and a car but they are a compromise. A worst of both worlds really. A few small annoyances but still they work.

Cons

- not as secure as a van
- poor turning circle makes parking and manouvering at certain parts of the round a pita

Pros

- double up as a car
- looks good

Personally i think a van is better work vehicle and a car is nicer drive as a private vehicle.

They are only justified if you want to make use of the 4x4 such as working on building sites/farms or if you go camping/fishing/towing a caravan etc in your spare time.

But they do work and despite the niggles you can live with them if you really want one. I loved my trucks and every so often the urge to get another comes along im pretty sure one day i will have another.

Theres a chap local to me who has a hilux, he doesnt have a canopy just has a big custom tank that fills the entire load bed then has mounted 2 reels on top its left completely open. Looks a good idea but stops you being able to use the truck for anything else which to me defeats the point of having one.
Thanks for that mate
Really informative
Appreciated

Cons

- not as secure as a van

Pros

- double up as a car
- looks good

You haven’t got any pics of the set up when you had one have you?

I had an open trailer with 3 x 150 litre tanks fitted side by side. It was a nightmare in the winter when everything froze. I can imagine the same happening with a pickup without a canopy.
I had a pump box which I brought inside along with the hose reel, but the water in the hoses was the problem.

Latest Posts

Back