Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ramps for generator?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

wonderer99

OK guys, I'm a muppet.

Ordered a Predator gutter system and thinking ahead thought a generator would make sense and wanted a decent power one to cover all bases so fot a Champion 8000w.

Champion 8000

Turned up today and me being naive /stupid didn't realise just how heavy it would be (yes I could have read). I honestly thought I would be able to hoist it in and out the van.

So, anyone using a heavy gen point me in the direction of some decent/ easy ramps to use with the van. As compact as possible as space is already at a premium.

Cheers

Rich

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OK guys, I'm a muppet.

Ordered a Predator gutter system and thinking ahead thought a generator would make sense and wanted a decent power one to cover all bases so fot a Champion 8000w.

Champion 8000

Turned up today and me being naive /stupid didn't realise just how heavy it would be (yes I could have read). I honestly thought I would be able to hoist it in and out the van.

So, anyone using a heavy gen point me in the direction of some decent/ easy ramps to use with the van. As compact as possible as space is already at a premium.

Cheers

Rich
Have a look at disability aids for getting scooters in and out of vans , don’t know if screw fix or tool station do anything? Other than that try a google search .

Don't forget it will probably need oil before you can use it!
That would make a good backup geny for your house!! Looks a bit juicy at about 4.5lts an hour on full power.

Don't forget it will probably need oil before you can use it!
That would make a good backup geny for your house!! Looks a bit juicy at about 4.5lts an hour on full power.
Yeah it's a bit of a beast to be honest but my reading led me to believe at least 6000w was required for the Predator?

The lower powered ones (from the same company at least) are not much lighter so don't want to sacrifice power for the sake of 5kg or so.

Also don't want to go down the cheap Chinese Market route.

So a bit lost to be honest. Can't seem to find anything with the grunt needed for the Predator system but light enough to not be a real chore to manoeuvre.

Yeah it's a bit of a beast to be honest but my reading led me to believe at least 6000w was required for the Predator?

The lower powered ones (from the same company at least) are not much lighter so don't want to sacrifice power for the sake of 5kg or so.

Also don't want to go down the cheap Chinese Market route.

So a bit lost to be honest. Can't seem to find anything with the grunt needed for the Predator system but light enough to not be a real chore to manoeuvre.
Spinaclean do a portable honds generator that they say runs their Industrial, so will run a Predator, and off the top of my head it weighs around 65kg

Spinaclean do a portable honds generator that they say runs their Industrial, so will run a Predator, and off the top of my head it weighs around 65kg
Their one is only rated to 5kva and the industrial is 3300 watts while the Predator is 3600. Every bit of info I have read says I need at least a 6kva rated generator. Which I can't seem to find without it weighing a ton.

How are others powering their Predators?

Their one is only rated to 5kva and the industrial is 3300 watts while the Predator is 3600. Every bit of info I have read says I need at least a 6kva rated generator. Which I can't seem to find without it weighing a ton.

I have an 8Kva but never used it because I use the customer's power from an extension I bring. I make them aware I need to use their power and all have been fine with it. If they are not happy then I tell them to fine someone else.

As long as you stagger the start of each motor a 5kva will run it. I very much doubt a company like Spinaclean would sell a gennie not fit for purpose

the industrial is 3300 watts while the Predator is 3600
Some companies are a bit optimistic with their power ratings.

3600 watts on a 13Amp fused plug equals 3600/13 = 277 volts!
In the UK, technically we run a 'harmonised' voltage of 230v so with a 13Amp fuse the maximum power you can consume is 230 x 13 = 2990 watts!
In reality the UK runs at more like 250 volts giving a theoretical max power of 250 x 13 =3250 watts.

While a 13 Amp fuse will allow surge currents in excess of 30 Amps they won't sustain much more than 13 Amps for longer than a few mins.

Bottom line is you could probably have got away with a 5kva no problems.

Ive got a 5kva Honda gen runs SkyVac Industrial or GVS Predator (Which is a rebadged Elsea Titanus who GVS used to buy it from) without any problems.
A 5kVA may well be ample for your 3300w machine however it is not sufficient enough to run our Predator gutter vacuum on ALL three motors continuously. For our 3600w machines we advise 5.5kVA Minimum. Ideally anything above. And to repeat we have no issue with any of our suppliers, I cannot emphasise that enough as I have on any various posts that this gets mentioned on. If you need any further information or confirmation, I am always happy to clarify without causing any unnecessary concern for our existing or future customers. We would rather be asked properly than any miscommunication or scaremongering when not heard direct from GVS. Julia.

A 5kVA may well be ample for your 3300w machine however it is not sufficient enough to run our Predator gutter vacuum on ALL three motors continuously. For our 3600w machines we advise 5.5kVA Minimum. Ideally anything above. And to repeat we have no issue with any of our suppliers, I cannot emphasise that enough as I have on any various posts that this gets mentioned on. If you need any further information or confirmation, I am always happy to clarify without causing any unnecessary concern for our existing or future customers. We would rather be asked properly than any miscommunication or scaremongering when not heard direct from GVS. Julia.
Any news on new products coming?

When does your gutter cleaning season commence?
As you know, gutter clearing is an all year round service, however late September onwards is when it truly kicks in and gets busy. When those leaves start falling the demand increases. That's what we found when we were on gutters ourselves all those years ago ?

Back