Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin bound driveway iron aggregate stains

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DeLaCruz

Driveway has iron small stains in patches about 2/3 inches round in dotted around - apparently the aggregate was contaminated. Fwiw the client is resigned to the scars but I would like to try and use something like oxalic to see if this is a fix - anyone done anything like this?

Also he wants the entire resin serviced to remove the darkened patches - i wanted to know if I should attack with a longer to work bioside technique or just go down the hypo route + light pressure wash ? I have no experience with resin bound but know it’s porous so maybe same as pebble dash ? Will get some pics but any advice welcome thanks ?

Driveway has iron small stains in patches about 2/3 inches round in dotted around - apparently the aggregate was contaminated. Fwiw the client is resigned to the scars but I would like to try and use something like oxalic to see if this is a fix - anyone done anything like this?

Also he wants the entire resin serviced to remove the darkened patches - i wanted to know if I should attack with a longer to work bioside technique or just go down the hypo route + light pressure wash ? I have no experience with resin bound but know it’s porous so maybe same as pebble dash ? Will get some pics but any advice welcome thanks ?
I wouldn't tackle it because it might make it worse and easier jobs out there. Good luck and will be great to hear how you get on.

Well essentially the iron stain removal is not the main job - the place is a really high end new build and the customer is mainly after the resin bound paths cleaning - I know if I could do the iron patches aswell it would be a great thing for him and he would pay well for that - that’s why I was enquiring. Even if the patches are left it’s not gonna be a problem but I just wanna do a thorough job (and get paid more :)

Well essentially the iron stain removal is not the main job - the place is a really high end new build and the customer is mainly after the resin bound paths cleaning - I know if I could do the iron patches aswell it would be a great thing for him and he would pay well for that - that’s why I was enquiring. Even if the patches are left it’s not gonna be a problem but I just wanna do a thorough job (and get paid more :)
I would contact the resin suppliers and ask what they recommend. ?

Assuming the dark patches are algae I'd go with a weak hypo mix to start with and boost the strength if necessary followed by pressure wash (using cold water only).
For the rust I'd try something like Rust X Pro which is an effective multi surface rust remover. Again starting with a weak mix on a test patch and go stronger as required.

Sorry, forgot to mention pre-wetting the surface which is best practice when using all chemicals, in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Back