Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Road works preventing work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Is anyone else experiencing problems with total road closures even for residents due to the new fibre optic broadband 5 g stuff being installed? Over the last 6 weeks or so we have been having major problems doing a lot of our work so far it’s costing me on average a loss of around £400-1000 per week with jobs that we cannot get to today alone over £480 of work we couldn’t get to , it’s very frustrating. Even the surrounding roads you cannot park in as the residents of the closed roads are parking in them as are the trucks and machinery used for the road works .

Is anyone else experiencing problems with total road closures even for residents due to the new fibre optic broadband 5 g stuff being installed? Over the last 6 weeks or so we have been having major problems doing a lot of our work so far it’s costing me on average a loss of around £400-1000 per week with jobs that we cannot get to today alone over £480 of work we couldn’t get to , it’s very frustrating. Even the surrounding roads you cannot park in as the residents of the closed roads are parking in them as are the trucks and machinery used for the road works .
Not quite the same, but in Hayes lane (a busy long road in Bromley that I have 4 days worth of work) they have been constantly digging it up for the last 7 month!
I have to do a great big diversion to get from one side to the other and it’s proper getting on my tits ?

The thing that I noticed is when a road gets dug up and then repaired a few weeks later another mob comes along and digs it up again. I think all the cable stuff is finished now up here but it was a nightmare bar the free cones lying about. ?

Not had total road closures but some disruption earlier this year, what they did was dig trenches about 8" wide and they were smashing them out but it went on for months as they did the vast majority of the town in all the old streets, it must be sickening to be loosing so much money,

The only thing that pished me off about it was I can't get superfast broadband in my town and now Rishi has given the town I work in £20 million to improve it they've had no end of improvements and the council will waste it like they always do

Had them digging up the pavements around 2 estates I clean a few months ago but no road closures but it was a pain to access some houses but where there is a will there's a way.i never skipped one customer.thank god for 100m of hose!

Surely they cant close the road off totally for more than a few days surely??

I've not encountered any road closures just lots of pavements dug up and barriers all over the place making parking very difficult. It's surprising that they can completely close off roads, must be a right pain having to loose so much week after week.

Had them digging up the pavements around 2 estates I clean a few months ago but no road closures but it was a pain to access some houses but where there is a will there's a way.i never skipped one customer.thank god for 100m of hose!
We have total road closures in some places that are a mile long ,and other places ware residents can only get in and out of their homes by vehicle at set times if at all . It’s proving to be a nightmare and it’s practically every road in all the towns around here I guess it will be every road eventually?.. dread to think what all this is costing , on the main roads they are working 24 hours a day

Been lots of these road closures in suffolk. A lot has been cadent, I think they're gas people. Total nightmare. Now also after the recent bad weather a lot of the smaller country routes, the edge of the roads have caved in. More dodgy than the pot holes. You cant go too close to the edge of some of these roads as your vehicle will just go down the side of the road and crash most likely. Gonna take a heck of a lot to get all sorted but dont reckon they will. Just sticking plaster jobs.

Unless they’re physically blocked and undriveable I’ve never seen a road that doesn’t allow access for residents and tradesmen. Had a few round my way. Never not been able to drive around the barriers or ask to be let though.

One of the reasons I always have a charged back pack on the van incase you turn up on street and they have work going on.
I'm not sure that would help @Pjj with £480 of work in 1 day. I too have a charged backpack for the odd job that might have access issues but I wouldn't want to go back to using it all day.

I'm not sure that would help @Pjj with £480 of work in 1 day. I too have a charged backpack for the odd job that might have access issues but I wouldn't want to go back to using it all day.
No it's not going to help PJJ if he can't get down the main road but it helps when you turn up at a job and workmen are digging up the back alley.

I wouldn't want use a BP for one job too much chew, I have one job on terraced row I told them that the overgrown bushes coming through the fence from the neighbouring school was stopping me from driving round the back as usual as I didn't want my vans paintwork and sign writing scratching 4 months later the backs ain't been done.

Not my problem as far as I'm concerned!!

Unless they’re physically blocked and undriveable I’ve never seen a road that doesn’t allow access for residents and tradesmen. Had a few round my way. Never not been able to drive around the barriers or ask to be let though.
Roads down here are totally closed even to the emergency services , in many places and ones who live in them have been sent letters telling them there will be no vehicular access to there properties for xx amount of time it’s absolute chaos

Sometimes you have just got to bite the bullet. That's why running a company loaded with debt comes back to haunt you. You become filled with stress if you don't have an emergency fund to pay the debt payments. All the companies that go bust is usually all to do with too much debt. We all hope the work will continue but there is many more tangents like our health, accidents, turbo going pop never thought about no access thou that's a new one. Then the wife loses her job which I heard yesterday after 14 years, or she wants a divorce can affect our business. Having little debt is the answer but that comes down to hard work. After two days in my bed with the cold I got back out and did everything I wanted to do. Less talking and positive mindset and it all fell into place today. Folk say take a week off but they don't realise that it all builds up the next week. Actually looking forward to tomorrow as I have that all planned out and I'm going to get the same van again because its easier to turn rather than a LWB.

We've had loads of it. Think its govt taking the pish sometimes. Other cases where you can get there but like a ten mile f''n detour. Forget it. I can just see things getting harder and harder for sole traders. Glad I aint a young'un thats for sure.

Back