Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratched Glass!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

numpty yourself pal....
I'm telling ya YOU CANT STRATCH GLASS with a wfp brush... simple

Nothing can get caught in the bristles that can stratch the glass.... PERIOD

cleaning cars has got nothing to do with glass, you HAVE NO experience cleaning the various types of glass that are in windows

Dirt caught in the bristles, dont make me laugh.......
Woah chill out dude, don't be a keyboard warrior.

I never once claimed I have experience, just trying to help based on THeORY as no one else was about.

If you honestly believe that nothing can get caught in a wfp brush was, then you might wana put that theory to practice.

When I worked for a firm cleaning car with wfp type brushes before, we would have to dip this Bristles in a bucket and rinse as bits DO and WILL get caught up, and yes the brush was very similar bristles to that o f a wfp brush has.

I see wfp guys bumping the brick work all the time, and on the RARE occasion I see bits of render flying, this could get caught in the bristle and could scratch the glass and / or sills.

Therefore it is possible.

Anyway my point to OP was - as long as you keep the brush head clean you should be fine

Woah chill out dude, don't be a keyboard warrior.
I never once claimed I have experience, just trying to help based on THeORY as no one else was about.

If you honestly believe that nothing can get caught in a wfp brush was, then you might wana put that theory to practice.

When I worked for a firm cleaning car with wfp type brushes before, we would have to dip this Bristles in a bucket and rinse as bits DO and WILL get caught up, and yes the brush was very similar bristles to that o f a wfp brush has.

I see wfp guys bumping the brick work all the time, and on the RARE occasion I see bits of render flying, this could get caught in the bristle and could scratch the glass and / or sills.

Anyway my point to OP was - as long as you keep the brush head clean you should be fine
Wow render flying... lol
It's a wonder these waterfed pole guys keep any jobs with all the damage they cause, geez the walls must be falling down.....

the pressure required to stratch glass needs to be very very firm and consistent, the flimsy nature of the bristle will always give way under such pressure... So mr know it all , it's not POSSIBLE

The original debate was about the glass not the sills, the sills are far more likely to be damaged by the stock of the brush, not anything that will get caught in the bristles

I've been working with glass for 20 year so my point to you was. YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT .re stratching glass... like your motto say's.... simples.....

Ok chaps how do I clean glass after pressure washing block paving patios & driveways when overspray of dirt/kiln dried (fine) sand get on window frames, door frames, sills & glass?

Would you trad it off?

Would you rinse and wash using pure wfp with a monofilament brush?

After years of cleaning windows using monofilament brushes I have never had anyone say that I have scratch their glass or frames. Go figure....Wonder why that is CNS? :rolleyes:

You are entitled to your own opinion CNS but must agree with others that you sometimes post inaccurate twaddle :lol:

Woah chill out dude, don't be a keyboard warrior.I never once claimed I have experience, just trying to help based on THeORY as no one else was about.

Wow render flying... lol

It's a wonder these waterfed pole guys keep any jobs with all the damage they cause, geez the walls must be falling down.....

the pressure required to stratch glass needs to be very very firm and consistent, the flimsy nature of the bristle will always give way under such pressure... So mr know it all , it's not POSSIBLE

The original debate was about the glass not the sills, the sills are far more likely to be damaged by the stock of the brush, not anything that will get caught in the bristles

I've been working with glass for 20 year so my point to you was. YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT .re stratching glass... like your motto say's.... simples.....
Ok then mate, you keep doing what your doing ill do mine an we will all be happy

Next time make sure your on to answer first so that next time someone else won't try an help whilst you off waving you pole about mr I know everything cos I did it for 20 years.

Who said they cause lots of damage, can't you read, I said RARE.

The bristles do bend, but if you have a clump of render or brick work In the middle (just to clarify on the RARE occasion that might happen) then the Beatles won't bend all the way back, the Unwanted item will still be there and can still cause damage.

Do you only read the title and not the posts?? Sills and glass were questioned.

Also Id like to point out that not so long ago, someone on here posted and mentioned that the brushes alone could leave marks if used incorrectly, I believe it was relating to a widow a custie said had been damaged by wfp (IIRC something about it depends which way the marks/scratches go as to if it was the brush or something else that cause it.... So if we go on that basis For someone with 20 years experience YOUR TALKING UTTER RUBISH, maybe you should go on some kind of course, maybe then you'll know what your brush actually can and can't do!!

Still stick by my guns, if you wana reduce the risk (cose you can never say I won't happen) then you should keep your brush clean in order to avoid marking plastics or glass. This is coming from MY experience using a similar type brush on a different surface.

Ok chaps how do I clean glass after pressure washing block paving patios & driveways when overspray of dirt/kiln dried (fine) sand get on window frames, door frames, sills & glass?
Would you trad it off?

Would you rinse and wash using pure wfp with a monofilament brush?

After years of cleaning windows using monofilament brushes I have never had anyone say that I have scratch their glass or frames. Go figure....Wonder why that is CNS? :rolleyes:

You are entitled to your own opinion CNS but must agree with others that you sometimes post inaccurate twaddle :lol:
Personaly, if I did already have my wfp trolley, I would first rinse the windows with water ( no scrubbing ) then when I was happy the worst was off, then I would clean as normal.

Then I would clean my brush out after.

Each I their own, I'm just saying from my experience and what I have read on here and many other places, the main key to reduce the risk is to keep your brush clean.

So Becuase its never happened to two of you doesn't mean it can't or won't on the rare occasion, happen!

CNS I personally think you need to gain a lot more firsthand experience in the real world first instead of just reading stuff from forums, soaking it all in then posting comments making out you know what you are talking about. :rolleyes:

Smurf I wasn't trying to make out I know everything. I was merely trying to help whilst no one was about, then get jumped on.

Not to worry mucker,...As the saying goes "only time we stop learning is when we die" /emoticons/wink.png

CNS-southwest & Damo are both right.

It not so much dirt between bristles, unless you have a huge amount of hard grit, handfuls of the stuff that can be kept in the air/vertical long enough (glass itself is pretty hard anyway, so the dirt has to be harder to have a chance to cause a scratch) with a large diameter single monofilament a tiny piece of dirt can become embedded, but then you would have to get that speck on the glass and apply enough pressure, enough times to cause a scratch.

It would be a very hard thing to do, even if you wanted to do it. (Testing brushes involves trying to scratch glass /emoticons/smile.png its really hard to do, you will have a greater chance with glass that is horizontal - even then I would bet you could'nt do it)

Richard

I personally prefer monofilament wfp brushes with less bristles as are easier to keep clean than say a vikan brick or tecbuk brush.

I personally prefer monofilament wfp brushes with less bristles as are easier to keep clean than say a vikan brick or tecbuk brush.
Really, like to see you keep a nylon monofilament brush clean after the first job

CNS-southwest & Damo are both right.
It not so much dirt between bristles, unless you have a huge amount of hard grit, handfuls of the stuff that can be kept in the air/vertical long enough (glass itself is pretty hard anyway, so the dirt has to be harder to have a chance to cause a scratch) with a large diameter single monofilament a tiny piece of dirt can become embedded, but then you would have to get that speck on the glass and apply enough pressure, enough times to cause a scratch.

It would be a very hard thing to do, even if you wanted to do it. (Testing brushes involves trying to scratch glass /emoticons/smile.png its really hard to do, you will have a greater chance with glass that is horizontal - even then I would bet you could'nt do it)

Richard

a tiny piece of dirt can become embedded, but then you would have to get that speck on the glass and apply enough pressure, enough times to cause a scratch.
Maybe that is the problem richard, some cleaners are maybe just too heavy handed?

Takes seconds with a dt super-lite unlike other brushes I have used.

Anyways I don't use one brush for everything you know /emoticons/wink.png

Really' date=' like to see you keep a nylon monofilament brush clean after the first job[/quote']

Having fun guys? /emoticons/biggrin.png

I've been doing this wfp thing for over ten years now and on one occasion I did have a brush pick up a bit of grit and put a scratch on a piece of glass, so it is possible, but very very very rare.

Scratching cills is a whole lot more common, and one particular brush is well known for it. :blink: It's always interesting to take on a new job and find the cills are a mess due to the previous cleaner.

You were using the wrong brush Martyn. Simples /emoticons/biggrin.png was it an Ionics brush by any chance :rolleyes:

The wrong brush, that could be the title of the next Wallace & Grommit film. /emoticons/biggrin.png

:rolleyes: All I will say is that they have a black moulded stock and I haven't used them for years, in fact I binned mine as soon as I realised what they were doing to cills. Some of my competitors still haven't figured it out!

Back